McCarthy won't boot rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy has no problem with a team calling a timeout to negate a field-goal attempt by an opposing team's kicker.

On Monday night, Buffalo Bills coach **** Jauron called a timeout with 2 seconds left against Dallas when Cowboys kicker Nick Folk was in the process of converting a 53-yarder. He had to kick again and made it after the timeout.

The same strategy has been used twice before this season, in Week 2 when Oakland thought it had beaten Denver on a 52-yard field goal, only to have it wiped out when Denver's Mike Shanahan called a timeout. The next kick hit the upright and bounce away. Denver went on to win.

In Week 3 Oakland called a late timeout against Cleveland to wipe out a field goal, which was missed on the next try. The Raiders won.

The same kind of call was made in college football when Auburn upset Florida. In that case Tigers kicker Wes Byrum hit two from 43 yards out. He had to try the second one after Gators coach Urban Meyer called a timeout.

"I think it's part of the game," McCarthy told Fox Sports Radio, referring to use of timeouts to disrupt kickers. "That's why they have rules and that's why they have the officiating crew. There's a lot of time spent on the rules of the game. I think the competition committee does an outstanding job with the research and development that goes on year around. So if it's within the rules, in my view, it is acceptable."

McCarthy said he was impressed with coaches who have been able to call the timeout at precisely the correct moment.

"I'll be honest with you, I'd just be kind of nervous waiting on the call just in case you don't get the timeout called," McCarthy said. "It's been interesting to watch how long they wait to call the timeout and they're still getting it called. It's what's in vogue right now in that situation."

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with him. It's part of the game, and a kicker should be able to kick two in a row. It's a risk a coach takes and so far it has paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts