OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figures that you would post your sarcastic nonsense...PIB

Way to contribute to the forum...
:thumbsup:

The point of this post was who was to blame for the loss?

I think bad play calling, bad defensive execution, and a bad running game are more to blame then just trying to pin it all on one player....

But of course, you do have your own agenda now, don't you?

Or are the complexities of football and that it's a team sport beyond your grasp/comprehension?

This isn't Madden, you know...
:lol:

For the last time..THIS is why the Packers lost the game...
(But of course, I'll expect another snotty post from you because you can not admit that anyone else should share any of the blame for this game, except FAVRE)

This was a TEAM LOSS, not one I can put on any one player.

I think its safe to say we did not play well. The Giants came in and made it a priority to stop the run and make us a one trick pony. It worked. Our offensive line was not able to open holes early and their linebackers were very disapplined and gave Grant no cutback lanes. Early on, we burnt them a few times on passing plays incorporating play action run fakes as their safeties came up to defend it. But as the game went on and they saw they didn't need to help out their front seven stop the run, their safeties stopped biting on the play action and stayed back. Unfortunately, the label "finesse" might well apply to our run blocking. We are not a smash mouth run blocking football team and until we can fix that we will have trouble running the ball in games like this.

Their defensive backs also played much closer to the line of scrimmage than they did against Dallas, bumping our receivers alot and taking away alot of the short stuff on the passing game.

Our offensive line did pass block well. Farve had more time than I thought he would have but the Giants did a very good job of filling their rush lanes so that Favre couldn't step through and pass the oncoming lineman to gain a good line of sight to our receivers which is one of Brett's true strengths. On top of that Brett became impatient in the second half when I think he sensed he had to make a play because the offense was sputtering and the defense was tiring.

This was simply, a great defensive gameplan by the Giants defensive coordinator and we did not do well against it. I trust McCarthy (gameplan) and Thompson (obtaining players) will note our this big area of need (improved run blocking) and do something about it.

I won't go into the defense here, but they too contributed mightily to this loss.

The Giants were the better team on this day...period...and yet we STILL almost won this game. That in itself is very surprising. They dominated us and yet we still had our chances at the end

All things considering, Brett did about as much as a man could. In the 4th qtr and OT, the giants didnt and werent going to blitz much because they didnt have to. The pack werent moving the ball well at all. They couldnt run, and Favre was a little inconsistent with his passing. Some were perfect, and some defintiley were not. But that is to be expected in that kind of weather, and throwing what they were trying to throw. The g-men sat back in coverage, and let favre try to beat them...

In other words, the Giants made the Pack one dimensional....

Pretty hard to overcome those odds in those kinds of weather conditions...

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, let me simplify.

Every loss is on the entire team, which I already said in this thread.

Every pick is 90% on the qb.

You typically refuse to acknowledge the latter, and make excuse after excuse about why #4 is only 10%, if that, to blame.

So sorry if this is too snotty for you. Go ahead and make a personal attack again if it is, though. I could care less what or who you think I am.

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't like to see one player raked over the coals over and over because some people have an agenda against him....

Did Favre make some mistakes during the game?

Yeah, he did.

(He was also the reason they were even in the game to begin with...)

Did other players and coaches make mistakes during the playoff game?

Yes, they did...

(Why people feel they have to endlessly "bash" Favre to the exclusion of everyone else on the team, is beyond me...)

Was it a wise decision to call a play that called for a tricky out pattern, sideline throw on a bitterly cold and windy night...?

(Here's a hint....I don't think so...)

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew who the author of this thread was immediately.

Yeah..ok...

McCarthy, the defense, and the anemic running game have no share of the blame in this loss....

How could I be so foolish....It's all Favre's fault...

It's always Favre's fault for anything bad that happens....

(If there's litter on the streets of downtown Green Bay....I'm sure Favre is responsible for it. Lock his old, washed-up *** up!)
:lol:

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, when the players execute properly, it is great play calling.
When the players fail to execute, it is bad play calling.

I heard on of brett's comments after the game that he thought Donald was going to do a "shake" route and didn't. Looking at the replay, I was disappointed that he didn't dump it off to Grant. Also, during the game, I wish we would have gone more on the slants over the middle which are so effective against the blitzes....

Live and Learn. Just glad we were good enough to get to the point of being dissapointed in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Ok, let me simplify.

Every loss is on the entire team, which I already said in this thread.

Every pick is 90% on the qb.

You typically refuse to acknowledge the latter, and make excuse after excuse about why #4 is only 10%, if that, to blame.

So sorry if this is too snotty for you. Go ahead and make a personal attack again if it is, though. I could care less what or who you think I am.

Can't say I agree. I would say 60-40...maybe.

Problem is, we as outsiders don't know who is to falult. did the reciever run a proper route? did he extend one yard too far (yes, that can easily cause an int)
Did the reciever deflect the ball into the air instead of catching it?
Did the offensive line provide enough protection for the play to execute or did a lineman get a hand on it?
Did the QB make the right read?
Did he make an accurate pass? (if a reciever runs and out and the QB called for an in, the QB looks really bad by no fault of his own, yet it was an accurate pass to where it was supposed to go.)

This is a team game.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The qb makes the final decision of whom to throw the ball to and has to execute the placement of said ball within sometimes inches of where it needs to be. That's why it's so hard to be a qb in the NFL, right? In addition to knowing the entire playbook and half of your weekly opponent's..

I just think that at this level, the amount of INTS thrown in the NFL over a season and postseason, I'd set the average at 90% the qb''s fault. When you get down to brass tacks, I put the onus on the man releasing the ball. That's obviously JMO, and not fact-backable at all.

P.S. I do blame Brett's 50/50 TD/INT ratio in 2005 90% on his horrible surrounding cast, and that's 100% the truth.

MattDC06

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i blame McCarthy.

i blame him for this game

and the 1st game against the bears

damn him

just kidding, but seriously it is easy to blame him

and i do

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our defense would have done it's job, got pressure on Manning, Favre never would have been put in that situation. If Harris could have covered "Plexiglass" Burris, Favre wouldn't have been in that position.

If our offensive line would have opened some holes for Grant to run through, we would have won. If our WR's would have got as open as "Plexiglass", we would have won.
They didn't, and we didn't win.
Poor execution on both sides of the ball cost us a trip to the SB.

The Giants game plan was executed on both sides of the ball.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Cheesey, I really dont think we need to reflect on the Giants game anymore, thats it for me anyways. Lets look forward not back :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said Cheesey, I really dont think we need to reflect on the Giants game anymore, thats it for me anyways. Lets look forward not back :)
Thanks Tiger........i agree. What more is there that can be said about it? It was a total TEAM collapse. Coaches and players. End of story.
Onto next year!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our defense would have done it's job, got pressure on Manning, Favre never would have been put in that situation. If Harris could have covered "Plexiglass" Burris, Favre wouldn't have been in that position.

If our offensive line would have opened some holes for Grant to run through, we would have won. If our WR's would have got as open as "Plexiglass", we would have won.

I actually feel the opposite. It wasn't bad execution on our part. It was Coughlin had our number. Everything we tried, Coughlin countered. He seemed to know exactly when we'd run or pass, where we were going.

Plus, Manning was putting the ball exactly where Harris couldn't reach it. It wasn't Harris was getting burned so much as much as it was Manning actually putting the ball in the perfect spot.

The Giants had an amazing day. They executed very well. Now, I hope they can do the same against the Pats and ruin their perfect season.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

I actually feel the opposite. It wasn't bad execution on our part. It was Coughlin had our number. Everything we tried, Coughlin countered. He seemed to know exactly when we'd run or pass, where we were going.

Plus, Manning was putting the ball exactly where Harris couldn't reach it. It wasn't Harris was getting burned so much as much as it was Manning actually putting the ball in the perfect spot.

The Giants had an amazing day. They executed very well. Now, I hope they can do the same against the Pats and ruin their perfect season.

Yeah, Eli did an interview where he talked about their strategy vs. the bump and run from Harris. He would check out the coverage and throw up a signal at the last second to let Plax know which shoulder he was going to throw to so that he could come out of his break with an advantage. Seemed to work pretty well :-\

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Eli did an interview where he talked about their strategy vs. the bump and run from Harris. He would check out the coverage and throw up a signal at the last second to let Plax know which shoulder he was going to throw to so that he could come out of his break with an advantage. Seemed to work pretty well :-\

Thanks. I was unaware of that.

It did seem that Harris was pretty dang close, but Manning would just put the ball in the perfect spot where Harris couldn't get to it. Although the numbers looked like Harris got burned, watching it closely, it was more Manning was hitting spots that NOBODY other than his own WR could catch it.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I'm not at all familiar w/the Pack's offensive strategies I can only go by what you guys say. But I do have a question.......Tynes had just missed 2 FG's(1 w/bad snap) and now he's attempting a 47 yd FG that can send the Pack home......Why didnt MM call a timeout to try & ice him??.......He did it on one of the earlier misses if I'm correct.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since I'm not at all familiar w/the Pack's offensive strategies I can only go by what you guys say. But I do have a question.......Tynes had just missed 2 FG's(1 w/bad snap) and now he's attempting a 47 yd FG that can send the Pack home......Why didnt MM call a timeout to try & ice him??.......He did it on one of the earlier misses if I'm correct.

maybe tried and didnt do it fast enough?

Maybe thought no way in hell he makes it and didnt want to waste a t/o considering only have 2 in ot?

Never occrued to me he didnt use a time out then

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SNAP said:

maybe tried and didnt do it fast enough?

Maybe thought no way in hell he makes it and didnt want to waste a t/o considering only have 2 in ot?

Never occrued to me he didnt use a time out then

I may be wrong but I thought I saw in the OT rules they had on the screen that they get 3 TO's...........not like a regular season game where you get 2. Because here you play until there's a winner as opposed to one OT that could end in a tie game.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
The qb makes the final decision of whom to throw the ball to and has to execute the placement of said ball within sometimes inches of where it needs to be. That's why it's so hard to be a qb in the NFL, right? In addition to knowing the entire playbook and half of your weekly opponent's..

I just think that at this level, the amount of INTS thrown in the NFL over a season and postseason, I'd set the average at 90% the qb''s fault. When you get down to brass tacks, I put the onus on the man releasing the ball. That's obviously JMO, and not fact-backable at all.

P.S. I do blame Brett's 50/50 TD/INT ratio in 2005 90% on his horrible surrounding cast, and that's 100% the truth.

While I understand your point completely, I think it is two fold. If the reciever is already out of his break and the QB has to hit him in stride or when he sits on a route, then yes it is the QB's Fault. But in today's game it is so paramount that the ball bee there on time that in most instances, the QB throws the ball before the reciever has made his cut.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
you mean... we CAN'T blame it all on one person?!?!?!?!

Apparently to a few.. yes yes you can..

Some it falls on Favre.. some on Harris, or McCarthy oh my.

Nevermind the other 40 some that suited up or had imput into the playcalling.. heck, I blame Jack Frost. ;)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought I saw in the OT rules they had on the screen that they get 3 TO's...........not like a regular season game where you get 2. Because here you play until there's a winner as opposed to one OT that could end in a tie game.

I remember seeing that, that there were 3 TO's instead of 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts