McCarthy to blame..?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit from Greg Esterbrook on ESPN.com:

"As for the deciding play, Favre's throwing an interception in Green Bay territory on the second snap of overtime, here's what happened. Thrice during regulation, the Packers had shown an action designed to look like the power rush they'd run with success against the Seahawks the week before. Each time, a tight end lined up in the line but didn't set; then the tight end stepped back into the backfield while the wide receiver on that side stepped forward to cover up the tackle; then the tight end went in motion as if to "slide" block at the point of attack; then the line down-blocked as if for a power run; then Favre threw a quick out. The Packers used this basic action for several big runs against Seattle, on plays that were runs. Sunday, the Packers used the action three times in regulation, except it was a pass, twice complete. When, in overtime, Packers' coaches called the action for the fourth time, this time the Jersey/A defense knew what was coming. Linebackers did not buy the fake, and cornerback Corey Webster broke early on the quick out. Don't expect the same misdirection-based play to work four times in the same game."

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....in the end, the coach gets the blame. And if this is true, it's stupid to make that call. When you are in OT, trying to win the game, thats when you pull a play that they haven't seen, not one you used 3 times already.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I buy that Fuzz......that pass wasnt on the outside enough. W/a play like that you either want it caught or incomplete w/little chance that it'll be picked.

BTW Fuzz, you guys are the classiest fans around........I'd have been rooting for you if we lost......I have my cheesehead since 1995.

If you dont like Dallas you'll love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2triiYXSY8

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I buy that Fuzz......that pass wasnt on the outside enough. W/a play like that you either want it caught or incomplete w/little chance that it'll be picked.

BTW Fuzz, you guys are the classiest fans around........I'd have been rooting for you if we lost......I have my cheesehead since 1995.

"IF" we don't like Dallas???
I doubt there is ANYONE here that likes Dallas!!! :lol:
(Unless it's the old TV show on reruns!) :wink: :lol:

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SNAP said:

LOL........I'm glad we're on the same page Cheesey......I hope we're on the same page against NE too.....Check out the video.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
SNAP said:

LOL........I'm glad we're on the same page Cheesey......I hope we're on the same page against NE too.....Check out the video.
Yup......we ARE on the same page!!! :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OH GEEZ!!!!
I think i just PEE'd myself!!!!
You guys HAVE to check out the link SNAP put it!!!
It's HILARIOUS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That ball could have been completed if not for a bad pass by Brett. Like it was said above...it should have been 10 yds more to the sidelines.

(Unless Brett thought the route should have been a stop route not an out. If it was supposed to be an out, then the pass was very poorly thrown.)

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying it was a good pass...

(Aikman said it looked like the wind knocked it down...)

My point was that the Giant defender was in a very good position on that play and jumped the route almost as if he knew what was coming.

If he didn't know, he may have been playing off of Driver more.

That's all.

Reaction score
Well if we don't take the final play into account at all, I think you still have to say McCarthy deserves blame.

I understand wanting to throw and attack the Giants secondary, but it seemed like McCarthy was alergic to the run the way he avoided running the ball. At least try to keep a Defense honest.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Well if we don't take the final play into account at all, I think you still have to say McCarthy deserves blame.

I understand wanting to throw and attack the Giants secondary, but it seemed like McCarthy was alergic to the run the way he avoided running the ball. At least try to keep a Defense honest.

I agree w/your arguement for running the ball. Also NYG was starting to blitz more and Brett was successful going over the middle which is a weak spot for NYG's pass defense. I would have gone more over the middle because the LB's were blitzing.

Reaction score

I agree w/your arguement for running the ball. Also NYG was starting to blitz more and Brett was successful going over the middle which is a weak spot for NYG's pass defense. I would have gone more over the middle because the LB's were blitzing.

Very good point snap.

First two plays the Packers ran, they threw a short pass to a FB and a TE, both ended up being first downs on running after the catch.

I don't know why McCarthy went away from that. Especially after his WRs were having problems getting separation of any sort from Giant DBs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didnt agree with the play calling either..It was TRULY a learning experience for him and his staff..

I am sure they had their reasons, and I would like to hear what those reasons were.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very good point snap.

First two plays the Packers ran, they threw a short pass to a FB and a TE, both ended up being first downs on running after the catch.

I don't know why McCarthy went away from that. Especially after his WRs were having problems getting separation of any sort from Giant DBs.

Thanks, also there's a huge danger going to the sideline. Usually there's no other receivers around so if it's picked it usually turns into 6. If it's picked over the middle there's less chance that it will go all the way. Also it's OT in a playoff game so there's no time constraint to march methodically down the field.

I'm not sure I like the OT rule. In playoff games I dont believe there should be sudden death. They should play a full quarter and who ever is ahead wins.........If not........keep on playing.

jbroad70

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes mccarthy should get some of the blame as should bob sanders as should the ENTIRE team. face it, the players were flat and played poorly the entire game. favre definitely made a bad throw in o.t. if it were thrown a little more to the outside i think we had a good chance of a big play. also, ryan grant was WIDE open right in front of favre and could've easily gotten a first down or more. all in all, there's no 1 person that lost that game for us- it was a team effort.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't disagree at all that the playcalling was suspect at best, but I cannot put the blame on McCarthy for the INT.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good point snap.

Well aadp, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy here, but we all know the qb makes the decision on who to throw it to. Every pass play has a checkdown. Usually its a back or the TE (as was likely the case in the two preceding plays.

As far as Greg Easterbrook's assessment, he may not know that every play is essentially called the same way in our offense: Run play or pass play from the same formation, with Brett making the final decision on which way to go. Brett lines up, scans the D and makes the call. That's part of the reason for his resurgence this year, he knows defenses so well and usually makes smart decisions. He was in the position to see that the Giants were playing pass, and should have gone run. (assuming he had a run play to go to like usual)

Sure, McCarthy called the play in, and a head coach should take a good share of the blame for every loss. But in my book, a qb who has played football longer than some of his receivers have been alive always deserves the majority of the blame for an OT pick in the Conference Championship.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Coughlin beat us. We didn't beat ourselves. He did everything right that game.

I give credit to the Giants instead of blame to any Packer, including MM.

That said, it was both a bad call and a bad pass. Still, the only reason we went into OT in the first place was their kicker blew 2 FGs.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calling was suspect at times, but that's always the case after a loss. The Packers were just losing too many of the matchups out there. If McCarthy had called more running plays, and they continued to get stuffed almost every time (and there's no reason to believe that would not have been the case), then McCarthy would be criticized for stubbornly sticking to the running game when it clearly wasn't working, rather than trying to exploit a banged-up Giants secondary.

What really drove me nuts were all those passes parallel to the line of scrimmage. But those were mostly in the first half, as I recall. (I haven't watched the game on video yet.) If I had to make a guess at the percentages, I would blame about 10% of the loss on play calling, and 90% on losing matchups, both at the line of scrimmage and in the secondary, on both sides of the ball.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the game was not the best game for sure and we can play the blame game seems the team is doing that on their own al blames himself and it will go on and on till next season but i think it will be a better out come i do hope the giants beat the pats

OP
OP
F

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just a bad pass by Brett Favre. simple as that.

Figures you would see it that way...

I guess the poor defensive play and paltry 28 yards rushing by the Pack had nothing to do with it, either...?
:cry:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
just a bad pass by Brett Favre. simple as that.

Figures you would see it that way...

I guess the poor defensive play and paltry 28 yards rushing by the Pack had nothing to do with it, either...?
:cry:

Good call, the GB defense is to blame for a pick on the first possesion of OT. Totally makes sense.

You know, the same could be said for 'ol Hasselback's famous game-ending OT INT back in '04. The Seattle defense threw that ball to Al Harris. Glad we straightened that one out...

Members online

Latest posts