McCarthy/Lombardi comparison article

Gilly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd assume most of you saw the article (it was in the Wis State Journal and I assume many other newspapers) saying that McCarthy is a better coach than Vince Lombardi (if not here is a link):
Packers coach McCarthy is better than legendary Lombardi | StarTribune.com

Not to detract from McCarthy, but my first thought was this: McCarthy might be said by some to be a better COACH, but Lombardi was truly a great MAN.

Gilly

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McCarthy, I really do but there is no way he is better than Lombardi. Even if we win it all this year he isn't even close. I don't care if there were only 16 teams in the league back then. You still had to get there. He won 5 championships in 7 years. It's really a baseless argument to argue that McCarthy is better than Lombardi. Quite simply, 5>0.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I mean. Wow.

Just. Wow.

I'd be thrilled with that, because that would mean we've won 4 or so SBs with MM.

But the article shouldn't be allowed to write about football...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait until the end of his career to say who is a better coach than Lombardi.

If it becomes the Mike McCarthy trophy I'd be OK with that since it would be named after two Packers coaches.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Souhan is a good writer, but his reasoning in this matter is severely flawed. If there had been 3 playoff games per year during the Lombardi years the Packers still would have won 5 Championships.

It's basically impossible to compare teams from different eras, so we are left with comparing excellence in different eras. No one compares with the Packers under Lombardi.

I hope McCarthy exceeds what Lombardi accomplished. He would undoubtedly be the better if he does.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Of course in this day and age McCarthy is the better coach, but back in 1960s, Lombardi was the best coach of his era.

How can you even compare the two. It's an anachronism.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Souhan is a good writer. He saw through the Favre Facade long before most anyone in Minnesota did. He's just wrong with his opinion on this matter.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole idea is insane. Lombardi was the best coach of his generation, MM is not.

So De Niro is going to be play Lombardi, but if they made a movie about MM who would play him? Jack Black?

Why am I not surprised this came out of the state of Minnesota....

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike is a great planner, and an excellent head coach. But no way is he better than Lombardi! Vinny was a legend, and will always be remembered for how hard he worked and how he prepared the team in the 60's.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is in his first 4(?) seasons, let him have a 12-15 year head-coaching career (HOPEFULLY), then decide his greatness as a coach. I love his philosophies, but Lombardi was one of the best motivators and Leaders in the past century, something McCarthy won't be known for.

OP
OP
G

Gilly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that was my whole point, that Lombardi was so much MORE than just a great coach. Lombardi inspires me. Mike not so much. Now anyways.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football today isn't as good as it was back during the Lombardi era, when football was played like it should be. What would Vince think of the NFL of today?

tmlfan3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no... just no. Yeah Lombardi's game plans wouldn't work today and lots of the stuff they did (the working out for an advantage) just sounds funny today... but lots of what he did is what directly resulted in the game we have today. Lombardi changed the game and how it was played... MM won't be able to do that. I'm not saying MM's a bad coach, I think he's good (with flaws) but comparing him to Lombardi is laughable at this point.

Members online

Latest posts