McCarthy Blames Crosby For Blocked FG

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers were without one of the regular blockers on their protection unit for the field goal that the Chicago Bears blocked at the end of regulation in Monday’s overtime loss at Soldier Field, but coach Mike McCarthy isn’t putting the blame on the blockers.

Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, one of the members of the field goal team, injured his ankle on the drive before Mason Crosby’s 38-yard attempt at a game winner that was blocked by Bears defensive end Alex Brown. Special teams coach Mike Stock replaced Jolly with backup offensive lineman Allen Barbre, but McCarthy said that wasn’t the problem.

“Really, the protection had nothing to do with it,” McCarthy said Tuesday after seeing the film. “I know Alex Brown got his hand on the ball, but he was actually falling inside from what I saw. It was a poor kick.”

It was the second failed game-winning attempt this season by Crosby, who pushed a 52-yarder wide right on the Packers’ last play in a 28-27 loss at Minnesota on Nov. 9.

Nothing about the operation – the snap or the hold – seemed to be problematic on Crosby’s latest miss. Crosby had been 37 of 40 in his career on kicks from 39 yards and in.

“A 38-yard field goal, when we line up for a 38-yard field goal with no wind, I fully expect to make it, yes,” McCarthy said.

Crosby, who has made 26 of 32 field goals this season, also missed low and to the left on a 46-yard kick in the third quarter.

“I felt Mason over-strided a little bit on that,” McCarthy said. “But those are things we need to talk about. We haven’t sat with the players yet and talked about that.”

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What! No blame for the pathetic longsnapper who got knocked on his butt or the rest of the pathetic line.
How about his pathetic playcalling leading up to the fieldgoal attempt.
Sometimes I wonder if he even watches film.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bad all the way around on that attempt. But the trajectory seemed a little low to me, especially for a kick of that length. Another choke job, that was a team effort.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sad part is that the protection was just one of many issues...

1) Why kill the Bears with the pass all game and then run 3 consecutive times, netting 4 yards, before you kick a FG?

2) Why have so much faith in your kicker when conditions are crappy?

3) Wy was the kick such a line-drive instead in the air?

--The sad part is that it was almost too predictable.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing the line was flat on their backs for that kick, or it might have hit someone in the head along the way. I'm not confident in Crosby yet. Is Longwell available after this year?

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Crosby has been dinging the uprights again this preseason. Granted it was a 60 yard attempt, seems like a pretty desperate call to try a 60 yarder. Not exactly good for instilling confidence in the kicking game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't care for Crosby AT ALL. Can he be a great Kicker in the furute? Sure. He certainly has the leg. But he's too inconsistent, and breaks during clutch times way too often. I hope Slocum can fix him (been working on his kick placement, the dumb kid was kicking soccer style with the supporting foot distant from the ball and facing the wrong direction...), but I would like for a veteran to at least compete with him...

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From 60 & 55 yds. out, outdoors Crosby clearly had the range just not the accuracy. It was probably precisley because of those long missed kicks from a year ago that McCarthy had him try last Sat.
Get 'em on target and Crosby will make the Pro Bowl this year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there you're kind of right. He blamed others. He blamed the ex DC and the OL. Try to find a packer fan that wouldn't... He was right in both statements. He shouldn't have publicly said so. But he was right.

Well, all I can tell you is that if you Google "Mike McCarthy blames his players/team" there are pages of examples. Hopefully 7-9 this year and he's out.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM to Crosby, "hey kid, see those 2 yellow posts way down there???"
Crosby, "duhhhhhhhh, yeah coach"
MM to Crosby, "good, now go out there and kick the ball between them"
Crosby runs out on the field...
He kicks...it misses to the left dinging the post along the way
MM to Crosby, " what the heck were you looking at kid, you missed again?"
Crosby, "at the last minute when I looked up i realized I was looking at one pole on the right, and a fan waving a gold Packer flag on the left, but it was too late...the ball was in the air..."
MM to ground crew, " lets see if we can get some gold flags on top of those goalposts before the second half starts, I'm afraid this kids gonna kill someone"

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM to Crosby, "hey kid, see those 2 yellow posts way down there???"
Crosby, "duhhhhhhhh, yeah coach"
MM to Crosby, "good, now go out there and kick the ball between them"
Crosby runs out on the field...
He kicks...it misses to the left dinging the post along the way
MM to Crosby, " what the heck were you looking at kid, you missed again?"
Crosby, "at the last minute when I looked up i realized I was looking at one pole on the right, and a fan waving a gold Packer flag on the left, but it was too late...the ball was in the air..."
MM to ground crew, " lets see if we can get some gold flags on top of those goalposts before the second half starts, I'm afraid this kids gonna kill someone"
The NFL should move the goal posts 5 yards to the right. Crosby would be the season MVP...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts