Matthews says packers beat themselves against giants

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if we played our A game, the defense was a joke....
it'd be hard to win another shootout against a team with an awesome pass rush...
What angers me about that game is the fact we didn't even give ourselves a chance to win...

The awful performance by the offense was like... it was like our arms were tied behind our back in a ufc fight... just a super helpless feeling... game couldn't end soon enough.... ugh.

Defense wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. I mean, you do realize the defense held them scoreless the entire 3rd quarter, right? If we're firing on all cylinders, we tie that game, or more than likely, take the lead.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with him 100%. 15-1 going in on our turf? We should've stomped them but instead we stomped ourselves. That and Finley dropping passes.
Not just Finley.
I ***** at J-Mike all the time, but he was getting unnecessarily booed that game... they booed him on a drop or two that was as bad a pass as catch.
Also, there were at least 2 bad slant-in throws to him (not bad, but..) where he almost got paralyzed, his neck jammed because Rodgers led him into the big hit.... kinda like the Gunslinger used to always do, which got Robert Brooks so many head shots.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both losses last season were on the offense. The drops killed us.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just couldn't believe the Defense's attitude. I recall after one of their wins no thanks to the D, Clay said to a reporter, "When you have the best offense in the league it's ok to make mistakes on D." Mistakes is one thing, consistantly being bad as a whole is not ok. I sure hope they got a reality check and put some pride in their work this season.

Packman Chant

Lambeau West
Reaction score
Very much agree with Clay but the Giants did win the super bowl so it goes to show they wanted it ALOT. This season we will clean up our cocky ways and get the job done. No foot off the gas at all!

NYG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go again -- come on Packers fans, you had a bad DAY against the NYG? No, no, no. Here's why:

1. Your defense was poor to at best reasonably good most of the year. For example, when you beat the NYG in NJ, your defense crumbled in the 4th quarter (as it often did last year) -- it was plain that Eli and the coaching staff had your defense figured out and would likely have won the game if they got the ball in OT. As I walked out of the stadium that day, I told every Packers fan I could find that their worst nightmare was playing the NYG again in the playoffs. It was plain that if the NYG defense improved, it would likely be a long day for the Pack in the playoffs. Indeed, your defense was so poor that day it was amazing to most that the Pack went 15 and 1 -- evidence of the watered down quality of the league.

2. Now the playoff game -- Pack got their heads handed to them physically and mentally. Think they dropped balls for no reason? Don't think the NYG defense was the biggest reason? Think it had anything to do with the tragedy? No, no ,no -- these guys are professional ball players -- the Packers played to their level that day when confronted with a vicious defense and an accomplished offense. See what the NYG did to NE again in the SB? See the NYG defense totally shut down NE once NE went up 17 - 9? Think that was a fluke too?

Wake up.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Here we go again -- come on Packers fans, you had a bad DAY against the NYG? No, no, no. Here's why:

1. Your defense was poor to at best reasonably good most of the year. For example, when you beat the NYG in NJ, your defense crumbled in the 4th quarter (as it often did last year) -- it was plain that Eli and the coaching staff had your defense figured out and would likely have won the game if they got the ball in OT. As I walked out of the stadium that day, I told every Packers fan I could find that their worst nightmare was playing the NYG again in the playoffs. It was plain that if the NYG defense improved, it would likely be a long day for the Pack in the playoffs. Indeed, your defense was so poor that day it was amazing to most that the Pack went 15 and 1 -- evidence of the watered down quality of the league.

2. Now the playoff game -- Pack got their heads handed to them physically and mentally. Think they dropped balls for no reason? Don't think the NYG defense was the biggest reason? Think it had anything to do with the tragedy? No, no ,no -- these guys are professional ball players -- the Packers played to their level that day when confronted with a vicious defense and an accomplished offense. See what the NYG did to NE again in the SB? See the NYG defense totally shut down NE once NE went up 17 - 9? Think that was a fluke too?

Wake up.
True enough buddy. Let me ask you a question though? Do you think the Giants are a better football team? Do you think they will beat the Packers this season in regular season play? Can you confidently say that you think the Giants will have a better regular season record and beat the Packers in the playoffs this year?
Your team won the playoff game and deserve respect but here's where I wonder. I had a Gnats fan tell me that if he had a chance to start a team he'd take Eli over Rodgers for his QB. I have to know.....
Do you feel the same way? This will tell all of us here your level of NFL football knowledge.
You know, all sites have trolls, just giving you the opportunity to show your knowledge and appreciation of the game.

NYG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True enough buddy. Let me ask you a question though? Do you think the Giants are a better football team? Do you think they will beat the Packers this season in regular season play? Can you confidently say that you think the Giants will have a better regular season record and beat the Packers in the playoffs this year?
Your team won the playoff game and deserve respect but here's where I wonder. I had a Gnats fan tell me that if he had a chance to start a team he'd take Eli over Rodgers for his QB. I have to know.....
Do you feel the same way? This will tell all of us here your level of NFL football knowledge.
You know, all sites have trolls, just giving you the opportunity to show your knowledge and appreciation of the game.

The question about who would you take to QB -- Rogers or Eli -- is aBS question. When they both came out of college, Eli was preferred by most, but now, both are truly excellent and either could lead you to a title. But it makes no difference -- an NFL team is only as good as the 22 on the field on game day. And for this year, if the Packers haven't solved their defensive woes, they may not even make the playoffs -- if they have, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Talk to players "off the record" they will tell you that the death of the son played a huge part in their loss

Not an excuse but it did affect their play...The offense did things they hadnt done all year..

Doesnt take away from NY's play...Just wish that death hadnt happened

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense and defense both played poorly. The offense had been carrying the defense all year but couldn't on that day. I note the comment by Clay that perhaps they thought the offense would always bail them out. The Hail Mary was a killer.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was very interesting that Chuck talked about how much they relied on the offense and that they thought they would just take care of things. Not something I would have ever guessed one of the defensive players, lastly Woodson, to say.

But it was true.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best not to speak Clay... You lost. Whatever the reason, you lost. Got beat. Got outplayed. Out coached. Period. That was last year, this is this year. That bitter taste you have in your mouth... taste it for a while, keep your mouth shut, move on, and kick some *** this year. End of story.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The question about who would you take to QB -- Rogers or Eli -- is aBS question. When they both came out of college, Eli was preferred by most, but now, both are truly excellent and either could lead you to a title. But it makes no difference -- an NFL team is only as good as the 22 on the field on game day. And for this year, if the Packers haven't solved their defensive woes, they may not even make the playoffs -- if they have, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.
No, it's not a BS question at all. The other Gnats poster was implying Eli was better than Rodgers. I wanted to hear his/hers idea of the better QB spelled out. It has nothing whatever to do with the other 21. I wasn't talking about the better team. For that matter I will direct you to the press. After the Packers won the Super Bowl everyone had them as the #1 team favored for the Super Bowl. That hasn't happened for the Gnats has it?
It's not me NYG, go cry to the media and the "experts". Why don't they regard the Gnats as the favorite for the SB this year? BTW, just for chits and giggles, who would you take if you were starting a new franchise? Rodgers or Eli?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you recall over a decade ago, Kurt Warner stated that the only team that could beat the Rams was the Rams.
He referred to their SB loss to the upstart Patriots and Vinatieri and co. The Rams did not play their A game but we recognize so many years later that Brady, Belicheck, and all their coaches have proven their excellence.
The Giants beat us every which way that day. But we did certainly play not just our worst game but probably our worst game since 2009 down in Tampa. You'd have to say we fell asleep at the wheel. We had Manning 3rd and long on the first series of the game and he torched us in part to some terrible tackling downfield.

Yes, a B performance still could have won the game. The G men had confidence in that they took us right to the end a month earlier in NYC. Most of our games last season were won before the 4th quarter. But there were plenty of drops. Kuhn running into his own man and fumbling,Grant tries to squeeze out an extra yard and loses the ball,
Rodgers has Jennings wide open for a sure 6 down the left side but someone totally misses his block and he's stripped, a long run out of bounds on the play prior to the Hail Mary.....Ugly. The Hail Mary usurps the title of worst defensive play in playoff history from the 4th and 26. To think Donnatell got the axe for that but Capers got sympathy.
I still believe if we were playing the Giants in a dome we don't drop balls and we torch them like we did Atlanta last year. It was not a typical Arctic January day but it still was icy and blustery. We are no longer the great cold weather team of earlier decades. Maybe we can play our post season this year in Atlanta, New Orleans, and St.Louis.

W

wxman2003

Not sure why that game matters anymore. Too much energy wasted trying to explain why the Packers lost. It happened. It's over. Move forward. Focus. Don't end up like Bears fans who are still arguing and debating why they lost to the Packers 2 years ago in the NFC championship game.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wake up.

1) In the regular season meeting your not factoring in the questionable scoring plays. Ballard knee was down before he slid out. There pictures to prove from multipal angles. + 4 Giants
Jennings really never had possession the TD pass. The Ravens lost a Superbowl birth on similar play. Packers - 4 (assuming they score the field goal). Now take away the last minute field goal..... It have been 39-31 Giants with 58 seconds to go. You need a TD and 2 point conversion to tie.... Could we have done that and won in OT? Maybe.... I would not bet on it.

I remember the Giants are your worst nightmare thread and most people laughed it off.....
Now can we put this away now? I did not see Giants fan holding on to a lose to the Packers in 2010 season that knocked them out of a playoff birth.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
1)I remember the Giants are your worst nightmare thread and most people laughed it off.....
Now can we put this away now? I did not see Giants fan holding on to a lose to the Packers in 2010 season that knocked them out of a playoff birth.
How would you know P-E-Z? Do you follow Giants forums? I guarantee there were millions of 'em. That's why their fans show up here to boast about last year. It was revenge for them. Losses suck as bad for Giants fans as Packer fans. What makes you think they are more honorable in losing? Do you suggest that Packers fans are more sore losers?
I agree, put it away but don't hold up the Gnats fans as exemplars of humility. If you've read any of the Gnat trolls you should know better. Eli for MVP? Please!

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How would you know P-E-Z? Do you follow Giants forums? I guarantee there were millions of 'em. That's why their fans show up here to boast about last year. It was revenge for them. Losses suck as bad for Giants fans as Packer fans. What makes you think they are more honorable in losing? Do you suggest that Packers fans are more sore losers?
I agree, put it away but don't hold up the Gnats fans as exemplars of humility. If you've read any of the Gnat trolls you should know better. Eli for MVP? Please!

Actually I do follow the Giants forum....no there were not people holding onto a loss in 2010 against the Packers cost them the playoff spot months later. 45 to 17 if memory serves.
This is 2012 Season and anything that happen before this really does not matter. No I not saying that Packers fans are sore losers... I know 15-1 and 1 and 1 n done hurts....its not what you expected or wanted, but its over. I am saying this is because I saw what Patriots fans did after 2007 because of where I live. Its negative energy that is wasted..... Lets move on ....... Now Go Pack Go!
(I are really another shareholders super bowl ring)

Cheesehead 786

Go Pack! Go Blue!
Reaction score
I have to agree with what Matthews said because of all the dropped passes and horrendous mistakes. I have to say, I hated that we rested Aaron Rodgers in the last week against Detroit. As an Indiana native, I've seen the Colts end many a playoff run in one-and-done fashion after resting starters in week 17, with their only Super Bowl win being after the '06 season when they played their starters in week 17. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the dropped passes on Rodgers but you gotta admit he wasn't his normal spectacular self against the Giants I just looked up the numbers on ESPN - 264 yds., 2 TDs, and a passer rating of 78.5 against the Giants after a season where he averaged 310 yds., about 2.8 TDs, and a passer rating of 122.5 (the highest in league history)... Do not rest starters!

PackersandPokemon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Clay that we did not play our best game- Rodgers was even off. But that's not to say that the Giants didn't deserve to win the game. They were the best team that day, and they showed up when it mattered most. And I don't think Clay was trying to infer that we handed the Giants the game, as Tuck seemed to interpret it.

What I do like to see is a chip on Clay's shoulder. The defense didn't seem to be fired up at all last year; I think this season is going to see a much improved, much thirstier squad. And that's good for us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts