Matt Forte

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
We don't need an elite running back to win as we saw the past two years. All we need is CONSISTENCY / DURABILITY.

I like M. Tolbert if we sign anyone

Even if all we're after is consistency, I think we're going to have to have a RB who is more than just middle of the pack in terms of ability.

Our playbook is very light on run plays. There aren't very many RB's around who are going to give us the type of consistency we want with such limited carries. I do think we need a RB who is capable of being a playmaker. Rodgers isn't a one man army at some point we're going to have to run the ball more than we do and it's going to have to be someone who can rush for more than 40-50 yards in a game

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did the Giants rank in rushing this past season? Oh that's right. Dead last.

Pats weren't much better.

Running the ball in the NFL and winning that way is pretty much dead. But hey it makes for nice highlights.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Where did the Giants rank in rushing this past season? Oh that's right. Dead last.

Pats weren't much better.

Running the ball in the NFL and winning that way is pretty much dead. But hey it makes for nice highlights.

During the tail end of the regular season and in the post season the Giants ran the ball well and it had a lot to do with Bradshaw being back. Even if you don't use it to win games, if you have a Running Attack that teams respect it makes it much easier to win games.

With the way our receivers have drop issues it would be nice to have a running back who can give us a boost when things aren't panning out the way we want.

The Patriots might not utilize the run very much but Green Ellis is a very solid, reliable back who gets tough yards and he doesn't fumble and when they call on him, he delivers.

When we call on Starks and Grant they get stopped for no gain

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Even if all we're after is consistency, I think we're going to have to have a RB who is more than just middle of the pack in terms of ability.

Our playbook is very light on run plays. There aren't very many RB's around who are going to give us the type of consistency we want with such limited carries. I do think we need a RB who is capable of being a playmaker. Rodgers isn't a one man army at some point we're going to have to run the ball more than we do and it's going to have to be someone who can rush for more than 40-50 yards in a game

Eh, a better RB would be nice, but anything but necessary. Keep an eye on Alex Green as well. This kid has the potential to be our version of Forte. He should recover just fine.

We can easily get by with this running game. We had a more than sufficient yards per attempt. All we need to do is improve our defense and we will be competing for a super bowl again.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
During the tail end of the regular season and in the post season the Giants ran the ball well and it had a lot to do with Bradshaw being back. Even if you don't use it to win games, if you have a Running Attack that teams respect it makes it much easier to win games.

With the way our receivers have drop issues it would be nice to have a running back who can give us a boost when things aren't panning out the way we want.

The Patriots might not utilize the run very much but Green Ellis is a very solid, reliable back who gets tough yards and he doesn't fumble and when they call on him, he delivers.

When we call on Starks and Grant they get stopped for no gain

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

80% of the teams that have reached the SB in the past 5 years have been in the bottom half of the league in rushing during the regular season. None in the top 5, and only 1 in the top 10.

2011 Giants Pats 32nd, 20th
2010 Packers Steelers 24th, 11th
2009 Saints Colts 6th, 32nd
2008 Steelers Cards 23rd, 32nd
2007 Colts Bears 18th, 30th

While it would be nice to have an elite running back to carry the team at times, its just not realistic to be elite at every position in the NFL.

Trade for Marshawn Lynch thread 2.0

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
80% of the teams that have reached the SB in the past 5 years have been in the bottom half of the league in rushing during the regular season. None in the top 5, and only 1 in the top 10.

2011 Giants Pats 32nd, 20th
2010 Packers Steelers 24th, 11th
2009 Saints Colts 6th, 32nd
2008 Steelers Cards 23rd, 32nd
2007 Colts Bears 18th, 30th

While it would be nice to have an elite running back to carry the team at times, its just not realistic to be elite at every position in the NFL.

Trade for Marshawn Lynch thread 2.0

Not every team has periods of complete inability to catch a football. Now I'm not saying we need an elite running back or we have to get the BPA in FA or through the Draft. But we need someone who can actually rush for more than 40 yards in a game

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the poster that says Alex Green could be a solution for us. It would also be nice to see someone better at blitz pickups than Starks. I also agree that the threat of a running game is important and there are times you have to rely on one. When you have a defense as pourous as ours it would be nice to see a running game take over and keep it off the field especially in the later stages of a game.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I would love to have Forte, it's just not going to happen. They aren't going to spend the money on him, not with the cap situation nor with the Bears franchising him or getting him signed to a long term deal before the offseason starts.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
We have him, he just happens to throw for 350 yards too.

That's just the thing. Rodgers has just about as much success rushing as our backs do. That's not only sad, but I think it's a bit unfair. Rodgers is asked to be a one man show on offense, we can't count on him to do that every game, every season for the rest of his career. Balance is important, as much as you an others like to point to our success with a one dimensional offense, it's not going to work all the time

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just the thing. Rodgers has just about as much success rushing as our backs do. That's not only sad, but I think it's a bit unfair. Rodgers is asked to be a one man show on offense, we can't count on him to do that every game, every season for the rest of his career. Balance is important, as much as you an others like to point to our success with a one dimensional offense, it's not going to work all the time

feel free to provide evidence a balanced offense gets you to the SB.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
feel free to provide evidence a balanced offense gets you to the SB.

The Steelers are perennial playoff contenders and have been to what? 4 superbowls in the last decade? They run the ball well and pass it well.

I'm really getting tired of the argument "if it worked before it can work again"

If we won without Finley we can win without him again
If we had a garbage defense and went 15-1 we can do it again

In this league nothing is meant to last. Coordinators and coaches are working overtime trying to figure out how to stop what a team does well. Evolution people.

Do you think the Broncos will be able to run that gimmick option offense with the same success next year and make the playoffs again? Highly unlikely.

You have to make sure you are prepared for anything every week and do whatever it takes to ensure you win. Suppose teams figure out how to stop or slow down our success throwing the football, then what? Are you going to count on James Starks to lead our team to a win?

I'm not saying being balanced is going guarantee a SB appearance even though teams like the Cowboys and Steelers and plenty of other teams have been balanced and done it before, but being one dimensional, you can't expect it to work all the time.

B-ri

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think our offensive line is the best at run blocking. Unless you get a guy like Peterson...I don't see any running back improving much on what we have now. There are much bigger needs, and not enough money for a guy like Forte.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts