1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Matt Forte

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackersFanfromCali80, Jan 16, 2012.

1. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    personally, i think Fred Jackson would be a much better fit for you. That would be scary if u got a back like that
  2. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +578 / 31 / -20
    This is hilarious... A year ago everybody shits on my Marshawn Lynch idea, posts that the Packers don't need a running game and now want to sign Marshawn Lynch.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    No way.

If TT signs a FA he'd better go after a DL/LB who can rush the passer or a LT who doesn't give up more sacks than the other four starters combined.
  4. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ?

The Packers had the second-highest scoring team in NFL history. With 560 points, they only trailed the 2007-08 New England Patriots (589...and they were known for running it up).

There's also no way that Ted Thompson is spending big money on a RB with a head coach who likes to use 5-wide at the 2-yard line.
  5. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

well last year Starks looked more promising than he did this year. And as good of a year as Lynch had, im not seeing him repeat as well as he has. FJax and Forte are a different level talent
  6. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79 / 3 / -0
    Ouch... Just adding my two cents ma'am.
  7. GB2009

GB2009 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    We can't afford Matt Forte.
    Also, when have you seen Starks run the ball more than 20 times a game? McCarthy needs to give that guy a chance. Oh yeah, last year they ran the ball in the playoffs, they got to the Super Bowl.

How come people say he is injury prone? Didn't people say the same thing about Rodgers?
    It wasn't like the hit Starks took in Detroit was a light push.
  8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    If not mistaken, last year he never got on the field til last month because of injuries?

This year his ankle had him out for extended period
  9. RazorRamon

RazorRamon Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    It's very flamboyant on TT's part. Pick enough unknown guys, a few turn out better than average, and you're viewed as a deity among Packerland.

In my opinion, it's TT simply being extravagant. Always looking for the diamond in the rough (to feel praised later) and consistently overlooking credible offensive marquee big name talent years upon years. It will continue to happen.
  10. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +199 / 12 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    As far as a RB goes, I think Forte would be great, but an unrealistic fantasy. There is no way we could afford him, as he is looking for big name, big time money.

Fred Jackson is a nice thought as well, and probably a cheaper idea than Forte...but also probably too expensive.

I'm not sold on the Marshawn Lynch idea. I just don't trust the guy. I don't trust that he will produce all season long, and that is what we need.

Peyton Hillis would be killer, but I really don't know what kind of money he wants... and yeah he rushed for over a grand, but he may end up being a bust.

I am also not sold on the idea of Ryan Grant being done. I know he didn't produce as well as he has in the past, but he has rushed for 1,200+ yards more than once for us and he really doesn't get a whole lot of carries per game any more. However if he is gone I don't think it would be the end of the world though...however Starks is a different story.

Starks I am just in love with. After last season I cannot bear the thought of leaving him out to dry. Just can't.
  11. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Well hes basically been in the league for 2 years and been injured for about 16 games
  12. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    diamonds in the roughs along with getting the right high picks is what defines a good GM. All GMs look to do this chiko
  13. meyerbudNYG

meyerbudNYG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

wow forgot about Hillis... that would actually be a GREAT fit. His value is down and is looking to rebuild himself after what he just did in Cleveland. You will def be able to get a value on him. Hes also an underrated pass catcher.

Grant is going to be 30 and a FA, time for him to go I think. Especially after that fumble.

I like Starks alot, but his durability is obviously an issue. Hillis is a perfect fit for your offense because he can pick up the blitz, catch the pass, break long runs, and is a bruiser that can pick up some hard yards
  14. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +199 / 12 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    If I had a choice, I would go Hillis, Starks, Saine.
  15. dubslaz

dubslaz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Why would we pay big bucks to a FA that's been beaten up in the nfl already when we could get a RB in the draft. David Wilson and Lamar Miller are both going to fall to the 2nd round. While LaMichael James, Montee Ball, and Chris Polk are all probably going in the third. We could address our pass rush with a DE or OLB in the first round and then pick up a quality future back in the 2nd or 3rd.
    And Grant is mostly likely done in Green Bay coming off two unproductive years (i know one was due to injury) and being a FA.
  16. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +963 / 25 / -9
    Right, just like how it killed our offense LAST season, you know, when we won the Super Bowl...
  17. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +963 / 25 / -9
    Not this part of everybody. Ivo and I have been pretty consistent (And right) in the fact that you don't need to sign big name free agents or make in-season trades to win. Threads like this and the mountain of others that are certain to follow are from fans who want the Packers to participate in free agency strictly for the sake of participating, and not because it makes sense.

Ted's method of free agency is, in my opinion, the correct one. Let other teams put themselves in salary cap hell by signing that blue-chip big name free agent. In the meantime, wait for the dust to settle and then take notice of who's still available and see what kind of deal you can get for them, if they are someone who still has plenty of upside. Otherwise just draft and develop. It's truly the only way to ensure you have a long term chance at success.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    All I want is a kick-*** O-line that even I could score running behind!
  19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,521 / 86 / -26
    Ball is returning to UW next season.

I wouldnt be surprised if TT grabbed a RB at some point in the draft but not in the 1st
  20. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +963 / 25 / -9
    This is precisely why Ted doesn't go chasing after free agents:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/steelers-have-other-candidates-for-creatingcap-room/
  21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,521 / 86 / -26
  22. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +388 / 7 / -0
    A guy like David Wilson could be a good pick for the Packers if they can get another 2nd round pick. They need the best defensive players they can get in rounds 1 and 2. Wilson could be a good addition if they manage that.

Peyton Hillis might be worth a look as FA, but he's had some issues.
  23. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871 / 5 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:

They still ranked 27th in rushing, and how many of those games did the offense have to keep scoring cause the defense couldn't stop the other team from racking up points?

A running game makes a world of difference. Rodgers is just one guy, he can't do everything.
  24. bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    We don't need an elite running back to win as we saw the past two years. All we need is CONSISTENCY / DURABILITY.

I like M. Tolbert if we sign anyone
  25. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Can Forte play defense?