Matt Forte

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
he's probably looking for a pretty hefty contract, and with starks, grant, saine, and alex green I don't think we need another back, as good as forte is.

OP
OP
PackersFanfromCali80
Reaction score
Grant can go, Starks is constantly injured and Saine and Green will be 2nd year players. Thompson might have to do something unusual this offseason and take a look at free agent players.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is absolutely no chance because the Bears are using the franchise tag on Forte. There is absolutely no scenario where TT gives up two first round picks. Forte will be a Bear for at least one more year.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Ryan Grant will not be here next season. So that will leave us with 3 other backs. But at the same time, Forte is about as consistent, reliable and versatile a back as there is in this league. Even if it might cost us an arm and a leg, I think he might be worth it.

His skills as far as receiving are very inciting. But alas I don't see TT spending the money to sign him. Especially when there are more important issues that need addressing. Like our defensive line, pass rush, will Nick Collins ever play football again, Finely situation, Flynn situation, etc

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
You have to wonder though if drafting or signing another RB would be a good idea.

If Grant isn't back that will leave us with 3 other backs. But Alex Green is coming off a severe knee injury so there is no telling how effective he'll be if at all, Saine has been meh in the amount of carries he's gotten, and Starks has been injured all season.

While Forte is coming off an injury of his own, he's more proven and reliable than anybody we have on roster. So I think it might be worth the money and risk. If it means providing balance to our offense, I think it's a good thing. Because we haven't had balance on offense all season even when we were healthy

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchise tag...end of story. Rodgers will get to play with him in the Pro Bowl though.....and speaking of the pro bowl....they all better show up and not hide this off season after yesterday.

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Peyton Hillis? The guy not only ran for 1,000+ yards last year, but the guy also has some of the best hands of any RB in the NFL. This is a 245 pound back that had such good hands that he returned punts in college. Hillis wouldn't cost as much Forte and will be available.

Grant's best days are behind him and Starks can't stay healthy.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
How about Peyton Hillis? The guy not only ran for 1,000+ yards last year, but the guy also has some of the best hands of any RB in the NFL. This is a 245 pound back that had such good hands that he returned punts in college. Hillis wouldn't cost as much Forte and will be available.

Grant's best days are behind him and Starks can't stay healthy.

lol Hillis is pretty injury prone himself. And Hillis is looking to get paid a lot of money. I think he's overestimating his value as well. No thanks.

Mike Tolbert is going to be a Free Agent as well. If we are on the subject of bowling ball power RB's, I'd rather have him than Hillis.

GoldenBear08

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're looking to add a bona fide, tough, physical RB I'd want Marshawn Lynch. No history of major injuries and plus he'd add to the Cal network on the team (Bishop and Arod).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The chances of the Packers acquiring Forte are not zero, but it's so close to zero it's not worth a conversation except to dismiss it. IMO the last position to go after in FA is RB, as posted above, it's a burnout position and in the Packers pass-first offense it's not as important as other positions. And if you don't believe any of that, IMO TCHickman24 is correct: We need more talent on defense. If Thompson believes he has to acquire another RB (because Grant is almost certainly gone) I'll bet he thinks the best avenue to get one is through the draft. Speaking of the draft, just look where premier RBs go nowadays compared to 20 years ago, that reinforces a couple of the points I've advanced above.

Taking all that into consideration, I agree with The Real Pack Attack, it would be a huge mistake to sign him because those resources are needed elsewhere. And this will be the first time I post this in this offseason but I'm sure not the last: Those expecting Ted Thompson to pursue a big name UFA are going to be disappointed. Remember Thompson acquired Grant with a sixth round pick. So JenningsLongCatch is right: There isn't a player on the planet Thompson would give up two first rounders for, most particularly a RB. And I'll bet there's not one player on the planet he'd give a first rounder for, straight up (no other picks included).

Reaction score
Look at the Packer Backs. Ryan Grant was undrafted. TT traded a 6th rd pick for him. Starks was a 6th rd pick, Saine undrafted, Kuhn undrafted signed off Steelers practice squad, Alex Green 3rd rd pick. To TT RB's are a dime a dozen. He is not going to dish out big $$$ for Forte or other FA RB. Look for them to draft a back late or they will bring in some undrafted FA. Thats TT's MO.

IF and thats a huge IF TT ventures into free agency I would expect it to be for a defensive player.

OP
OP
PackersFanfromCali80
Reaction score
When Aaron Rodgers is our leading rusher for more than one game, that is a problem. The lack of a running game killed our offense this past season. Starks, Grant and Saine did not get it done so there's no reason to think they will have it happen. Not only is Forte a good running back, he is also a good receiver. Michael Bush and Marshawn Lynch would work as well.

Members online

Latest posts