Matt Flynn

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with Rodgers, Flynn, and Tolzien in camp do we even both drafting a QB? I'd say no unless an intriguing prospect is available (BPA) in the 6th or 7th round. I'm happy with running with Tolzien for a season to see if he's got the goods to be a Doug Pederson-type backup for GB. Then again, I'm a BPA type of guy in those last two rounds anyway.

H

HardRightEdge

As reported in the link below, McCarthy has stated he'd like to keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster (a departure from recent years), with a 4th. in development (read practice squad).

The 4th. guy would have to be raw and not particularly valued around the league otherwise somebody might snag him for their 53 man roster when we cut him in advance of signing him to the practice squad.

In the event this #4 is a pleasant surprise in preseason while Tolzien fails to progress, I believe Tolzien still has practice squad eligibility, if it comes to that, having been on the 45 man game day roster for fewer than 9 games.

As noted in said link, the Packers have scheduled a meet-and-greet with Brock Jensen, a somewhat unusual effort taken for a guy rated as the 25th. QB in the draft, well below the 7th. round cut line, by one respectable source (see second link below). Jensen, or someone of similar pedigree, is likely to be the #4 in camp.

With 90 camp slots, which I believe the Packers did not fully fill last year, maybe a 5th. QB is brought in as well to compete..

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...08029/Packers-schedule-visit-Waupaca-s-Jensen

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94170&draftyear=2014&genpos=QB

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As reported in the link below, McCarthy has stated he'd like to keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster (a departure from recent years), with a 4th. in development (read practice squad).

The 4th. guy would have to be raw and not particularly valued around the league otherwise somebody might snag him for their 53 man roster when we cut him in advance of signing him to the practice squad.

In the event this #4 is a pleasant surprise in preseason while Tolzien fails to progress, I believe Tolzien still has practice squad eligibility, if it comes to that, having been on the 45 man game day roster for fewer than 9 games.

As noted in said link, the Packers have scheduled a meet-and-greet with Brock Jensen, a somewhat unusual effort taken for a guy rated as the 25th. QB in the draft, well below the 7th. round cut line, by one respectable source (see second link below). Jensen, or someone of similar pedigree, is likely to be the #4 in camp.

With 90 camp slots, which I believe the Packers did not fully fill last year, maybe a 5th. QB is brought in as well to compete..

http://www.packersnews.com/article/...08029/Packers-schedule-visit-Waupaca-s-Jensen

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94170&draftyear=2014&genpos=QB
I just don't get that. I agree it happens and they'll do it again...but I don't get it. (The idea of drafting a "not so valued" QB and putting him on the practice squad.) It's just a giant lose lose and every year we see it play out! If the guy looks decent at some point...he'll be snagged up by another team in no-time. If he doesn't, we're left saying "well that was a wasted draft pick". I just don't get the idea of drafting somebody just with the hopes he can be your number 3. If you don't think the guy has at least a legit shot to be your back-up QB (#2) don't even draft him!

H

HardRightEdge

If you don't think the guy has at least a legit shot to be your back-up QB (#2) don't even draft him!

First, a guy like Brock Jensen will not likely be drafted. He'd most likely be an UDFA; worst case 7th. round. Tolzien was a FA who cost nothing.

Second, just because a guy is not a legit competitor for the #2 spot NOW, there's next year and the year after. The duration of Flynn's contract should be of some interest. I suspect it's not overly long.

Spending a mid-round pick on a QB not likely to bump Flynn, or a high pick on a QB who will never see the top of the depth chart before his rookie deal is up is not an efficient use of resources.

H

HardRightEdge

On thing scouts have a hard time judging is how well QBs will adapt to the speed and complexity of the NFL game. That's why so many high picks with all the physical tools fail at the NFL level.

When it comes to how well a guy can read a defense coming out of the huddle and then get to the 3rd. receiver in the progression before the 2.5 second bell goes off while sliding around in the pocket is hard to judge from college tape or the Combine or Pro Days. I would take a guy with a less than elite arm (and therefore not valued in the draft) who has that football intelligence over outstanding physical talents who get drafted high but are largely clueless (see Vince Young).

I'm not saying Brock Jensen is that guy, but that's what you'd hope for and why you try to develop a less than elite physical talent for an eventual backup spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know McCarthy talked about that, but we won´t know for sure until the end of training camp if they´ll really keep three on the 53.

Tolzien was on the active roster for 8 games last season and for one during his tenure in San Francisco when Alex Smith was injured, so he´s not practice squad eligible anymore (might have been a good idea to not put him on the active roster in last year´s regular season finale against the Bears).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 1 year deal, to me, means that they need to find a successor backup QB for 2015. This should be a QB capable of knocking either Tolzien or Flynn off the 53-man roster and not requiring a practice squad stint. If he's that much of a project, then he'll be that much of an unknown heading into the 2015 season. No quarterback that has the potential is going to last on our practice squad without getting snatched up by another team during the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I know McCarthy talked about that, but we won´t know for sure until the end of training camp if they´ll really keep three on the 53.

Tolzien was on the active roster for 8 games last season and for one during his tenure in San Francisco when Alex Smith was injured, so he´s not practice squad eligible anymore (might have been a good idea to not put him on the active roster in last year´s regular season finale against the Bears).

Of course we don't know anything with certainty until it happens. ;)

If Flynn is signed for one year and Tolzien has no PS eligibility, it's a fair bet McCarthy will want to keep Tolzien on the 53 man roster.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

The problem with 5 QB is you have to get them all reps somehow. Something tells me 4 is the magic #, and if we do have 5, it won't be for long. Considering Ted isn't deterred by short QB, we can expect QB4 to have a bit of Seneca Wallace feel to him

H

HardRightEdge

I read an interesting note yesterday...each NFL team is allowed a maximum of 30 visits by draft-eligible players. That the Packers would spend one on Brock Jensen reinforces the hypothesis that the Packers are looking at low round / undrafted free agent guys, not midround guys as reported in some quarters.

I read this note in association with a report that New England is using 2 of their visits to entertain Manziel and Garoppolo. Brady will be 37 when the season begins. He'll be 40 when such a 2014 draftee would be entering his 4th. (contract) year. If not this year, then next....

I would expect the Packers to entertain QBs projected for the first and second round some time around, say, 2021. It would be earlier if Rodgers declares serial retirements so he can skip OTAs and/or training camp.

D

Deleted member 6794

I read an interesting note yesterday...each NFL team is allowed a maximum of 30 visits by draft-eligible players. That the Packers would spend one on Brock Jensen reinforces the hypothesis that the Packers are looking at low round / undrafted free agent guys, not midround guys as reported in some quarters.

Ball State QB Keith Wenning will visit the Packers as well, so I think you could be right about the Packers looking for a UDFA.

H

HardRightEdge

Ball State QB Keith Wenning will visit the Packers as well, so I think you could be right about the Packers looking for a UDFA.
nfldraftscout.com has Wenning ranked as the #12 QB with a 6th.-7th. round projection. That is not "proof", mind you, but it is consistent with my hypothesis.

I just read a little bit ago that unattributed rumors had been circulating that the Packers were targeting a QB in the mid-rounds. That explains some of the comments in this thread that I thought were coming out of left field.

Had neither Flynn nor any other vet been signed before the draft, that might have been a possibility. Or maybe the rumor was floated to get Flynn off the fence and on the dotted line before the draft? ;)

It would be interesting to know if Flynn signed with the Packers and then Freeman with the Gints, or the other way around. Evidently both teams were interested in both players and both signed for 1 year or so the rumors say.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

It would be interesting to know if Flynn signed with the Packers and then Freeman with the Gints, or the other way around. Evidently both teams were interested in both players and both signed for 1 year or so the rumors say.

As far as I know Flynn said with the Packers before Freeman did with the Giants.

H

HardRightEdge

The problem with 5 QB is you have to get them all reps somehow. Something tells me 4 is the magic #, and if we do have 5, it won't be for long. Considering Ted isn't deterred by short QB, we can expect QB4 to have a bit of Seneca Wallace feel to him
I don't know much about either Wenning or Jensen, but it would appear neither of them fit the Wallace profile; they're both about 6'3", 220 lbs.

I don't think Thompson would seek out a sub-6' quarterback except in desperation. In the case of Wallace, we were suddenly beggars with little to choose from and Wallace had some kind of resume. I'm sure Thompson would have preferred him to be 6'2" or more like all of the other guys he's ever put on the roster.

I see where Wenning ran a 5.0; Jensen ran a 4.7.

Maybe we'll ask Jensen to put on 15 lbs. and play TE or LB, or 50 lbs and play elephant. Just kidding.

H

HardRightEdge

As far as I know Flynn said with the Packers before Freeman did with the Giants.
The Flynn story hit the rumor mill first, but the signings were close enough together that I raise the question. Or the Giants may have told Flynn they were going with Freeman and Flynn should cancel his flight, but Freeman had not flown in yet to sign the papers. Or something like that.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Brock Jensen at this stage is not NFL material.....who knows, that could change.....he needs a lot of improvement in almost ever phase.

H

HardRightEdge

IMO Brock Jensen at this stage is not NFL material.....who knows, that could change.....he needs a lot of improvement in almost ever phase.
That's why he's projected as a UDFA. And maybe as a TE? Just kidding...again...maybe. That was Tim Tebow's natural position after all. ;)

Speaking of whom, and to get off the subject, what ever happened to Tebow? I would have though he'd have resigned himself to a position change by now. Somebody would bring him to camp to try TE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
That's why he's projected as a UDFA. And maybe as a TE? Just kidding...again...maybe. That was Tim Tebow's natural position after all. ;)

Speaking of whom, and to get off the subject, what ever happened to Tebow? I would have though he'd have resigned himself to a position change by now. Somebody would bring him to camp to try TE.

Isnt he doing commercials for a fast food chain?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The two times I saw Jensen play last year, I came away very impressed and remember thinking, I'd like to see the Packers snatch up this guy. Kid can play.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that. He reminds me of BJ Coleman, his main issue is his mechanics.
Not saying he couldn't be a good prospect at some time.....maybe some work with a good coach he could improve his mechanics.........he also tends to lock on one receiver at a time, which is a bad habit to break.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So has anyone seen the value of Flynn's new 1-year contract? I want to know if it's for the veteran minimum or more.

Members online

Latest posts