Matt Flynn

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to be the first to say it. We should keep Flynn and trade Rodgers for 3 or 4 first round picks and a couple of 3rd rounders. Just kidding!

His stock just shot through the roof today and several teams are going to want him. We can't let him go via free agency and get a lowly supplemental pick for him. He should be tagged and traded. We could probably get a first round pick for him from a team like the Redskins or Jaguars. But the last thing we need is him going to the Bears. They would ruin his career and I really like the guy.

I say transition tag and trade, even if that means not franchising Finley. I think a deal will get worked out with Fin anyway.

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign and trade. As much as i like flynn and think he is a good piece for this team he will be more valuable trade bait to help bring in some picks to help with the D

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams in need of a QB and willing to deal

1. Jaguars
2. Redskins
3. Dolphins
4. Browns
5. Seahawks
6. Broncos?

thoughts?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we do that?

as far as I know yes. Finley we would be able to match any offer he gets. Seems fair. Just might get tricky if a division rival offers big $ thats over what they should in order to make us over pay for someone that knows our offense.

Flynn would be traded before or during the draft. He would command a very high pick. The good thing is only 1 QB seems to be an NFL ready QB at this point.

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally also don't want to see Flynn go but....

The amount of money he is going to get in TT's Scheme, won't work. I hope we can trade bait him, and put him on respectable team that he can flourish... Cause I think I might have a #2 favorite team depending where he goes.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think there is some serious value in preventing him from going to a division rival. In Minny he would compete with Ponder to start, but I think he'd replace Cutler fairly quickly in Chicago. I'd like to see him on the Redskins, personally.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I personally think Flynn should be a Packer HOF candidate in the future if for no other reason than for having arguably the most incredible day a Packer QB has ever had, bar NONE. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen but this game needs to be immortalized in some fashion at the PHOF. It should not be forgotten. Flynn won't be there, but his name certainly will.

(Keep in mind much of this post is hyperbole)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally think Flynn should be a Packer HOF candidate in the future if for no other reason than for having arguably the most incredible day a Packer QB has ever had, bar NONE. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen but this game needs to be immortalized in some fashion at the PHOF. It should not be forgotten.
But do you even know who he beat for the record? I'm sure Don Horn isn't in the P-HOF.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
This thread can't get any nuttier!!! I knew it was going to be fun reading today,..i've not visited it apparently in awhile!

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are not touching Matt Flynn. Cutler is their guy. I could see them trying to get Finley if they get rid of Martz. Martz hates pass catching tight ends. If some team wants to overpay for Finley then let them.

12theTruth

I don't think Thompson will be able to pull off a sign and trade. Flynn has much more leverage if he waits it out. After his performance today, his value shot through the roof. The franchise tag for a QB costs 14.4 million I don't see that happening. If we do end up getting a 3rd rounder for him its still better than the late round pick Thompson used :)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Thompson will be able to pull off a sign and trade. Flynn has much more leverage if he waits it out. After his performance today, his value shot through the roof. The franchise tag for a QB costs 14.4 million I don't see that happening. If we do end up getting a 3rd rounder for him its still better than the late round pick Thompson used :)
The Packers have to get something for him.
I think Kolb had just gotten a new big contract last year when expected to be the starter, and they still were able to trade him.

By Flynn doing SO GREAT, Teddy should be able to get a few teams to bid for him, and use that to our advantage. If there are 2 teams (or more) who want him, they know now that they can't just wait for him to become free because we are working on trading him to someone else.

We should sign him to a new deal, and then trade him. That team can then take on that contract, or re-do it.

There are a lot of teams who need a QB, and there's only 1 Luck and 1 RG3.
Flynn is seasoned, and ready to play now. A team wants to win now, he's as safe as Luck is IMO. Maybe safer.

By the way, I love love love love Tim Tebow (and he might pull one out yet today), but he's really horrible. I promise I am a better thrower of the football than Tim is, and I think I can read defenses better.
I just couldn't bounce back from a single hit that he absorbs. I'd be in pieces the first hit I took from one of those 300-pound goons.

12theTruth

The Packers have to get something for him.
I think Kolb had just gotten a new big contract last year when expected to be the starter, and they still were able to trade him.

By Flynn doing SO GREAT, Teddy should be able to get a few teams to bid for him, and use that to our advantage. If there are 2 teams (or more) who want him, they know now that they can't just wait for him to become free because we are working on trading him to someone else.

We should sign him to a new deal, and then trade him. That team can then take on that contract, or re-do it.

There are a lot of teams who need a QB, and there's only 1 Luck and 1 RG3.
Flynn is seasoned, and ready to play now. A team wants to win now, he's as safe as Luck is IMO. Maybe safer.

By the way, I love love love love Tim Tebow (and he might pull one out yet today), but he's really horrible. I promise I am a better thrower of the football than Tim is, and I think I can read defenses better.
I just couldn't bounce back from a single hit that he absorbs. I'd be in pieces the first hit I took from one of those 300-pound goons.

I like your optimism and I hope you're right. Kolb had a bigger profile as a starter though too.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you.

But, just to hash it out, what if the Packers tagged him?

O.K., they'd be gambling that Flynn isn't going to just take the franchise tag $, but, is dead-set on starting somewhere next season. If that proved true, then Flynn would willingly negotiate a four-year contract for say $30,000,000-to-$35,000,000 ($14,000,000 in year one signing bonus+salary) with a team prior to GB trading him.

Flynn's not losing any cash and he gets to start, and his new team gets an affordable starter that they can renegotiate in three years if it works out. If it doesn't work out, they can move on without worrying about cap hell.

I'd think the Packers could get one of Holmgren's first-round picks (he has two because of the Julio Jones trade last year). That Atlanta pick will be around 24-25.

Holmgren isn't getting anywhere with Colt McCoy, he's got to do something before his tenure as president in Cleveland is ruined.

The problem for the Packers is the huge tag amount and gauging if teams will be lining up to pay Flynn in that range in year one so that a deal is a certainty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts