Matt Flynn - What to Do

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Draft picks have become way more valuable in the last few years than they've ever been in the NFL. We now live in an era where Brett Favre is dealt for a 3 and Randy Moss was dealt by Oakland for a 4.

As a result, I don't think you can expect anything higher than a 3 for a guy who's never started or even played all that many meaningful snaps in a regular season NFL game. Sure, he's promising, and he looks great during the preseason, but a team isn't going to give you much more than a 3 for someone as inexperienced and untested as Flynn is.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I agree. Flynn looks like he is a legit big boy league QB eventually. Another good choice by TT and crew.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly havent understood the hype on Flynn... He has never really impressed me, but there has always been a buzz about him. Maybe its just me not seeing it, but in our pre season games and when he played nearly the entire 4th quarter against the Cowboys, he didnt look close to an NFL level QB.. Just my opinion though

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I honestly havent understood the hype on Flynn... He has never really impressed me, but there has always been a buzz about him. Maybe its just me not seeing it, but in our pre season games and when he played nearly the entire 4th quarter against the Cowboys, he didnt look close to an NFL level QB.. Just my opinion though

He did take it to the Colt's #1 D during preseason...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See the article below for some comments on Matt Flynn. I predict the same end game as with Matt Hasselbeck. That is, he backs up the #1 for several years and then gets traded for a high draft pick. Unfortunately in the case of Hasselbeck, Ron Wolf ended up squandering the pick on Jamal Reynolds (actually the trade ended up being Matt Hasselbeck and Steve Hutchinson for Jamal Reynolds and Torrence Marshall).

If you want to be technical, all Hasselbeck was worth was seven spots in the first round. Seattle threw in a 3rd round pick and GB threw in one or two 7th round picks.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, if you want to be precise, Seattle received Hasselbeck and the Packers' 2001 first-round draft choice (17th overall-Steve Hutchinson) in exchange for Seattle's 10th selection in the first round and a third-round choice (Torrance Marshall). There were no 7th round picks involved.

If you use the 2010 draft value chart, the #10 pick is worth 1,300 points, the #17 pick is worth 950 points and the #72 pick (3rd round pick that GB received) is worth 230 points. So, the Packers recived 580 points (1300 - 950 + 230) for Hasselbeck. According to the same chart, 580 points is the value of the first pick in the second round (33rd overall pick).

So, if Matt Flynn is worth what Matt Hasselbeck was worth back in 2001, the Packers should expect to get a low first or high second round pick.

Maybe the Packers could throw in Dmetri Nance and move up to #1. :banging:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep him!!! Investing in developmental QBs is like investing in a wise future! We need a good backup that we can depend on. If they trade him, for the love of God, don't trade him within the division.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Its Preseason?

Or have I got this totally wrong?

I'm with you on this one.

I understand that, but the way our #1 dominated their #1, Manning was P.O'ed, so they kept their #1's out after we pulled ours, and we still stuck it to them. Isn't that what preseason is for, to evaluate the guys that sit behind our #1's? Or have I got this totally wrong?

Members online

Latest posts