Mason Crosby

H

HardRightEdge

And we have 3 more preseason games to find out. If I were MM I would get him and Tavecchio every attempt I could at various distances, even if it meant kicking a few times on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down. It's been done before. I'd try to make sure they both get at least 2 shots per game.

Uh huh. Then, if you need to turn to Plan C, the best options have gone to other teams.

Reference: Back-up QB

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/59489/packers-practice-report-van-rotens-chance
  • For the first time all camp, Giorgio Tavecchio got the first rep in a field goal period ahead of incumbent Mason Crosby. Both kickers went 2-for-2. Tavecchio converted from 36 and 43 yards, while Crosby was good from 40 and 42. For all of camp, Tavecchio is 37-of-41 and Crosby 32-of-41.
Using my super secret math skills, I calculate Crosby at 78% and Tavecchio at 90% so far this camp with both kicking at a whopping 100% during preseason games when it counts!

H

HardRightEdge

I just read that Tavecchio missed 6 extra points in his senior year at Cal. What's that all about? Putting yips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what MM do. Tavecchio takes 3 steps when kicking. Crosby 2. Slocum wants the FG or EP kicked in 1.8 secs. after its hiked. Plus Tavecchio hasn't kicked in cold weather to my knowledge.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what MM do. Tavecchio takes 3 steps when kicking. Crosby 2. Slocum wants the FG or EP kicked in 1.8 secs. after its hiked. Plus Tavecchio hasn't kicked in cold weather to my knowledge.

The approach and timing are a non-issue. The vast majority of kickers use the same approach Tavecchio does and he gets it off in good time too.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The competition is heating up at Kicker !

12theTruth

I feel some have grossly overated Crosby's performance and value to the Pack. When its not distance on kickoffs, its accuracy. He has a strong leg but has accuracy problems. I will never trust him again after I saw him miss a field goal 15 yards wide right in a game last season, got a second chance and missed 10 yards wide left.

The family night debacle is just a hint of what will rear its ugly head at some point this season. Hitting about 4 FG's in a row over 2 games, none of which are more than 50 yards doesn't mean Crosby all of a sudden is back to being his old mediocre self.

At this point unless Crosby becomes unglued in the next two weeks we will once again be stuck with him as placekicker as he will win the competition in all cases unless Tavecchio thoroughly outperforms Crosby from here on out. They are pretty much dead even now and unfortunately that will go to the incumbent every time.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should Crosby win the job & screws up this yr it'll likely be his last. Should be anyway if he plays anything like last year

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point unless Crosby becomes unglued in the next two weeks we will once again be stuck with him as placekicker as he will win the competition in all cases unless Tavecchio thoroughly outperforms Crosby from here on out. They are pretty much dead even now and unfortunately that will go to the incumbent every time.
TT said today that our 2013 kicker may not be on the roster right now. While he could just be pandering to the crowd, I believe it. Despite what some have said, there were no slam dunk free agent kickers available this offseason. However, if one becomes available I believe that he would make the move. We saw TT cut Jon Ryan just before the season for consistency issues. Of course, he got Frost and the insistence of Mike Stock but eventually got to Masthay. It can take some time to find a better option, and the next option isn't always better.

Overriding all of this is my belief that Crosby's struggles aren't bad for the Packers. I'd rather have MM operate with the mentality of going for it in the 45-55 yard range but letting Crosby kick under 45. I like the odds with our offense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do teams have a back up kicker? Or would it be the punter who fills that role?
And what if something happened to the punter?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you remember back to the year that the Patriots lost their punter for a few weeks, they just kept going for it on 4th down. Often times the kickers and punters switch up so that they can be an emergency fill-in but in a real pinch teams can always find a FA kicker or punter to fill in for a few games or rest of the season. Those guys tend to keep kicking in the offseason and don't need to stay in "football shape" like actual football players

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cardinals signed Dan Carpenter. And I think I saw Lindell signed elsewhere. So, no known kickers are available as of right now. There will be some more cuts. I'm keeping my eye on the Kickalicious guy in Detroit. Otherwise, who the heck knows. Crosby did well last game. But, it's still tough to trust the guy. I get the feeling, though, that this is a TT guy that he loathes to move on from - kind of in the A.J. Hawk mode if you will.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that's flawed thinking about Hawk at least. I don't dispute his disappointment as a top 5 pick, but he's been our most reliable linebacker since 2006. He played his best in 2010 when everyone else got injured, got a contract out of it, and recently pealed back the contract to be commensurate with his play. He's still solid but not electric and doesn't cost the Packers a ton of money. It's easy to say let's get another guy, but that's the easy crap spewed on forums that is a lot more difficult to do in reality. ILB was not a draft/free agent priority on anyone's list compared to other positions the past few offseasons

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TT said today that our 2013 kicker may not be on the roster right now.
Just so we have the quote, this is from jsonline's notes column yesterday:
Kicker watch: Aside from one relapse during the team's intrasquad scrimmage, both Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio have kicked the ball well this summer. Combined, they've made 90 of 107 kicks (84%). Crosby's leg power and Tavecchio's accuracy have been evident.

While general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday that "they've both done a good job," that both improved each week and that "the competition has made it better," he wouldn't rule out adding someone off the street. Asked if he has his kicker in camp, Thompson was coy. "We'll see," he said. "Never stop looking."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ng-back-depth-chart-b9979915z1-220456391.html

Overriding all of this is my belief that Crosby's struggles aren't bad for the Packers. I'd rather have MM operate with the mentality of going for it in the 45-55 yard range but letting Crosby kick under 45. I like the odds with our offense.
I understand your point about McCarthy being more aggressive going for first downs instead of trying long kicks but Crosby's struggles were bad for the Packers last season even aside from long FG attempts. I'm sure you'll agree he was no sure thing with FG attempts under 45 yards.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll agree he was no sure thing with FG attempts under 45 yards.
I do. Missing three from mid-range in practice today might have cost Mason his job. I'm not sure that TT will pull the trigger unless there is a good option out there. I'm not sure that changing just for the sake of change is better than keeping a marginal kicker and working hard to find a new one next season.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Yet there are some that will still find an excuse for those easy misses in practice under a no stress situation.

No stress? Are you kidding? There isn't much higher stress than a situation where making or missing kicks could cost you your 7 figure job. Say what you want about whether he should be our kicker or not, which is certainly debatable, but let's not pretend he's not kicking under stress. The only thing I could imagine being more stressful is going out to attempt a 48-yarder in overtime at the Super Bowl.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do. Missing three from mid-range in practice today might have cost Mason his job. I'm not sure that TT will pull the trigger unless there is a good option out there. I'm not sure that changing just for the sake of change is better than keeping a marginal kicker and working hard to find a new one next season.

A lot will depend on what Crosby and Tevecchio do in the final 2 preseason games. I would give both of them as many opportunities as possible, even if it meant kicking before 4th down.

Latest posts