Mason Crosby

D

Dan115

Point is simple, I was told Walsh was a waste of draft pick. If he such a waste, and if good kickers are so easy to come by, why are the Packers having such a hard time finding a good one? Right now, which player would you have on your team, Tucker, Walsh or Coleman? Two were draft picks, only one was called a wasted pick HyponGrey. After all, how many 6th round QB's besides Brady have worked out in the last 15 years? Packers could have drafted Tucker or Walsh. They knew Crosby wasn't cutting it last year. Oh, wait, I know the answer. The Packers are a QB factory. Train him up and trade him. That's the plan.

WOW vike fan since 66! OH painful

Harrison McCaslin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only person who thinks that Tavecchio would be a better option than Crosby this season? I mean Crosby has been great for the packers in his career! But it's time to let him go, and start fresh..

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Am I the only person who thinks that Tavecchio would be a better option than Crosby this season? I mean Crosby has been great for the packers in his career! But it's time to let him go, and start fresh..
Sergio Pinocchio is still a terrible K, though he IS better than Mason. We're screwed either way

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tavecchio has made about 88% of his kicks so far. How is that terrible?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Since when do we kick inside the 40? Generally we end up scoring at that point. Sergio's paper leg will cost us games. Not as many as Crosby's apparent double vision, but the only thing the kid is useful for is PAT's. It's August, weather will make him irrelevant in about 3 months. Can we get somebody with at least a little range?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when do we kick inside the 40? Generally we end up scoring at that point. Sergio's paper leg will cost us games. Not as many as Crosby's apparent double vision, but the only thing the kid is useful for is PAT's. It's August, weather will make him irrelevant in about 3 months. Can we get somebody with at least a little range?
"@jasonjwilde: Both #Packers kickers a perfect 8-for-8 today. Connecting from 33, 43, 48, 50, 34, 39, 45, and 54."

I would say 50 and 54 are usually about the longest we attempt on a game to game basis.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's roll the dice with Havard "Kickalicious" Rugland if the Lions choose to go with Akers. He's got an odd minimal follow-through kicking motion and he's never played football before, but he's apparently been nailing his kicks left and right.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Crosby would just get his mind right. He has everything you want in a kicker except confidence and the ability to repeat the motion each time. He can say he is confident all he wants but when he misses differently each time it screams that he is over adjusting.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish Crosby would just get his mind right. He has everything you want in a kicker except confidence and the ability to repeat the motion each time. He can say he is confident all he wants but when he misses differently each time it screams that he is over adjusting.
He's made 17 of his last 18 in practice. Let's see if it translates.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the camp report from yesterday with the stats for each kicker. Tavecchio is winning.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...tuesday-at-a-glance-b9974734z1-219510141.html
Crosby went 7 of 8 and Tavecchio 8 of 8 on Monday. "They put together two good days." Over the last seven days, Crosby is 18 of 20 and Tavecchio 19 of 20. Neither attempted a field goal against Arizona on Friday night at Lambeau Field. For training camp, Crosby is 30 of 39 and Tavecchio 35 of 39.

I'm not convinced that Tavecchio can't kick in the snow, any more than I'm convinced that a Mississippi quarterback couldn't play in the snow.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Maybe they need to bring in a snow machine and cover the small area where he is kicking and planting his foot.....snow in August in WI....could happen lol

H

HardRightEdge

Crosby had one good year spanning two seasons. Career-wise, he's been one of the worst FG kickers over that period. It wouldn't look that way in, say, 1990 or 2000, but we happen to be in the golden age of place kicking and Crosby hasn't scored a bronze.

A recent report said Tavecchio uses a 3-step FG approach instead of the preferred 2-step (which Crosby uses). Slocum is not trying to get Tavecchio to change that, but he is pushing a 1.3 second snap-to-kick requirement. He needs to get some preseason kicks to evaluate whether he gets it away fast enough or hurries kicks to beat the stopwatch.

There may be no good option here.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There may be no good option here.
If by "here" you mean in Green Bay you may be right so I'm hoping they will explore other options. If they don't like the available FA Ks Oshkoshpackfan listed, I hope they are waiting for a K to be waived by a team with two good/decent ones. Just because Tavecchio is a better option than Crosby (an incredibly low bar) doesn't mean he's the best option available.

H

HardRightEdge

If by "here" you mean in Green Bay you may be right so I'm hoping they will explore other options. If they don't like the available FA Ks Oshkoshpackfan listed, I hope they are waiting for a K to be waived by a team with two good/decent ones. Just because Tavecchio is a better option than Crosby (an incredibly low bar) doesn't mean he's the best option available.

By "here" I meant among the options mentioned in my post. You should know by now I'm not so naive as to think there are no other options.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's some stats for the discussion:

Crosby's career Field Goal % stats are:
2007 - 79.5%
2008 - 79.4%
2009 - 75.0%
2010 - 78.6%
2011 - 85.7%
2012 - 63.6%
Career - 76.8%

In 2012, Phil Dawson had the best FG% at 93.5%.
Blair Walsh made the most field goals in 2012 with 35 while also going 10 for 10 beyond 50 yards.
The average FG% in 2012 was 84.3%.
During the 2012 season the Vikings, Lions, and Bears kickers had FG% of 92.1%, 88.9%, and 84% respectively.

In comparison to Ryan Longwell who just retired as a Packer, here is a side-by-side comparison of him and Crosby:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Attachments

• upload_2013-8-14_11-47-2.png
    upload_2013-8-14_11-47-2.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 57

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A recent report said Tavecchio uses a 3-step FG approach instead of the preferred 2-step (which Crosby uses).

Not sure where you got that report from but in the few practices I've been to, and in every video i can find, he's using the exact same form everyone else in the NFL and college uses. His form is identical to David Akers.

I've never even heard of 2 step vs 3 step in regard to field goals, only with punts. Can't find any reference to it either. Do you have a link to the report?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Not sure where you got that report from but in the few practices I've been to, and in every video i can find, he's using the exact same form everyone else in the NFL and college uses. His form is identical to David Akers.

I've never even heard of 2 step vs 3 step in regard to field goals, only with punts. Can't find any reference to it either. Do you have a link to the report?

One can learn something new every day.

I don't recall where I saw this reported, but the following different link will do, courtesy of google search "Tavecchio 3 step":

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=8471&is_corp=1

The 1.3 second requirement was from another story...probably either JSOnline, GBPG or ESPN's NFC North Division blog since I peruse those every day, but I couldn't say for sure.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

Mason Crosby's career FG % ranks 3oth. among kickers active last season.

Even if you throw out last season, with his career average jumping from 76.8 now to 79.4 after 2011, he'd still be 28th. among active kickers.

Relative to FG kickers in this golden age, Crosby is poor, to say the least.

An odd thing about his one good year (spanning 2010 - 2011) is that he was among the worst in the league in touchback % in 2010 before they moved up the kick line.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've made good points about Crosby. I've supported him in terms of getting through his slump, which he did recover from last season. However, even recovering to his career average puts the Packers at a disadvantage. He's got to be better in the modern era.

If you really want to see the disparity, Crosby is tied for the 6th highest salary as a kicker in the league. Thomson should have negotiated a pay cut going into this season. Bringing a camp leg provides motivation in camp. A paycheck lasts all season.

Latest posts