Mason Crosby

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't slice numbers to benefit your argument saying that he kicked over 90% otherwise you might just say that he's 100% since Monday (outstanding!). Crosby's percentage in camp was 83.3%, which is still below the 2012 regular season average. I wouldn't call that "absolutely excellent," I would call that below average especially considering it was only preseason and not even the regular season. I want him to bounce back, but there are signs that it's not happening. The 14 for 14 was a positive sign, but for most folks its balanced against his awful practice session.

Actually, I specifically pointed out that I was talking about what he has done SINCE Family Night. There was no attempt to hide that fact so I'm not sure why you insist on saying I'm "slicing numbers to benefit my argument." I made clear that I was referring to that specific time-frame. It's no different than the haters referring to his time frame from October to early December last as if it's the only thing that matters, yet you have no problem with that way of thinking.

It's also worth noting that McCarthy won't commit to him, even after letting the other two kickers go. It seems that MM and TT are sharing the same concerns as most of us.

If you think they are both thinking along the same line as "most of you" then why is he still on the team, since "most of you" would have cut him 6 months ago? Do you really think they're going to sign some other team's castoff and give that guy the job by Saturday afternoon? Seriously? Like I said before, unless he goes out tomorrow night and misses a bunch of easy ones, the job is his. They're not going to cut anyone from the 53-man roster to have a look-see at some guy who just got cut unless Crosby gives them an extremely compelling reason tomorrow night.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I specifically pointed out that I was talking about what he has done SINCE Family Night. There was no attempt to hide that fact so I'm not sure why you insist on saying I'm "slicing numbers to benefit my argument." I made clear that I was referring to that specific time-frame. It's no different than the haters referring to his time frame from October to early December last as if it's the only thing that matters, yet you have no problem with that way of thinking.
Using what others do as you justification doesn't do any justice. You sliced the number (and indicated so) to make his stats look better. That's my point and it's accurate.

IDo you really think they're going to sign some other team's castoff and give that guy the job by Saturday afternoon? Seriously?
TT did it with Jon Ryan. Why do you think it's so far-fetched for him to do it again?

Crosby is still the PK because they haven't found a better replacement. He had an up and down camp with big days (14 for 14) and horrible days (scrimmage and consecutive misses). I'm pretty sure that MM and TT were hoping that Crosby would return to his pre-2012 form, so they didn't bring in serious competition. Crosby hasn't rewarded their optimism with his up and down performances and less than average overall camp numbers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a shot in the dark is what it is. Ask yourself, if the Lions had a choice between him and Akers and chose Akers, do we really want to hand that guy the job on three days notice? I think the answer is a resounding "NO." If we had a couple weeks to evaluate him that might be different, but we don't and he has no body of work by which to judge him.
The Vikings jettisoned Ryan Longwell for a guy with "no body of work by which to judge him" last season in Blair Walsh. Why do you hold onto a belief that because a guy hasn't kicked in Green Bay, there is no way to tell if he's any good? At the least, Rugland has kicked in a full camp and through the preseason.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"The kicking competition is not over. We feel like we have a handle on where Giorgio is, his capabilities...there is a scenario that we may bring him back."

From Monday....scenario is if Mason gets hurt would be my guess

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby agrees to a contract reduction. He's guaranteed $800K this yr if he's on the roster Sept 7th & can earn up to $1.6M

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason gave up almost all his guaranteed money for this year this morning. He can earn it back through incentives though.

So, money shouldn't really be a factor anymore.

If he plays good, I'd gladly pay him his incentives.

12theTruth

If the Packers went through this trouble to rework a contract, Crosby assuredly will be here the entire season now. I'm going down to Walgreen's and see if they have any specials on Maalox. :(

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If the Packers went through this trouble to rework a contract, Crosby assuredly will be here the entire season now. I'm going down to Walgreen's and see if they have any specials on Maalox. :(

for 800K that doesnt mean he is a lock for entire season

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with longtimefan: IMO the reworked contract means Crosby is more likely to be released if he struggles. While I would prefer another kicker, at least Crosby won't get paid as one of the best in the league unless he earns it. Maybe that will help him keep his focus.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great move by the Packers, and this is concrete proof that even the Packers didn't think that Crosby was worth his salary at his current production levels. He is really going to struggle to get back to his previously expected salary. He'd have to equal his best season, which isn't likely based on his body of work which suggests he's most likely to hit the bottom rung of the performance ladder.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love that Crosby desired to stay enough to do this, love the Packers doing this and love that Crosby has huge incentive to perform at a vastly higher standard of kicking that lately!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Using what others do as you justification doesn't do any justice. You sliced the number (and indicated so) to make his stats look better. That's my point and it's accurate.

No I didn't do it to make his stats look better. I was specifically talking about what he had done since Family Night and I made no attempt to hide that fact. And there's nothing wrong with doing that. If I want to talk about what he has done since Family Night (which coaches and sportswriters have also done on several occasions) then I'm going to use numbers since that time. Not sure why you have such a problem with that. If that's a problem then are you saying we should only ever use his career overall average? Or are some splits okay to discuss but not others?

Crosby is still the PK because they haven't found a better replacement.

Exactly. And that includes Carpenter and Lindell a couple weeks ago.

And 85% isn't less than average.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings jettisoned Ryan Longwell for a guy with "no body of work by which to judge him" last season in Blair Walsh.

No they didn't. Walsh had kicked for 4 years at Georgia.

Why do you hold onto a belief that because a guy hasn't kicked in Green Bay, there is no way to tell if he's any good? At the least, Rugland has kicked in a full camp and through the preseason.

Why do you hold the belief it would be wise just arbitrarily give the job to a guy with ZERO game experience who couldn't supplant the aging David Akers on a dome team? Yeah, let's do that!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A great move by the Packers, and this is concrete proof that even the Packers didn't think that Crosby was worth his salary at his current production levels. He is really going to struggle to get back to his previously expected salary. He'd have to equal his best season, which isn't likely based on his body of work which suggests he's most likely to hit the bottom rung of the performance ladder.
Agreed. Highly unlikely Crosby hits over 85%. I'm predicting somewhere between 79-83%.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Highly unlikely Crosby hits over 85%. I'm predicting somewhere between 79-83%.

...and we all should be tickled pink and fine with that range...more importantly that his 4th quarter percentage is high hopefully!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Crosby
Longwell
Jacke
Del Greco
Stenerud
Marcol
Hornung
Cone
Fritsch
Hutson
Buck

Put 'em in order of best to worst kickers, as best you know 'em.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby
Longwell
Jacke
Del Greco
Stenerud
Marcol
Hornung
Cone
Fritsch
Hutson
Buck

Put 'em in order of best to worst kickers, as best you know 'em.

If we are taking the era in which they kicked into consideration and not going solely on career percentage, then I would go as follows, based on their entire careers, not just with the Packers:

Longwell
Crosby/Jacke
Del Greco
Marcol
Stenerud

The rest have no real basis on which to form an opinion.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If we are taking the era in which they kicked into consideration and not going solely on career percentage, then I would go as follows, based on their entire careers, not just with the Packers:

Longwell
Crosby/Jacke
Del Greco
Marcol
Stenerud

The rest have no real basis on which to form an opinion.
I actually had Crosby above Jacke.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually had Crosby above Jacke.
I did too at first, but then I started thinking about the era in which they have kicked and they've both overall been right at the average mark in terms of percentage. If you said I had to pick one, it would have been Crosby, which maybe means it should have been anyway?:unsure:

H

HardRightEdge

Kickalicious is coming to town for a look see, but that's all it will be.

Crosby has won...until the weather gets cold.

H

HardRightEdge

He already came and went yesterday.
I blinked and missed it. How about the other guy? Another ship passing in the (Mc)Night?

Here's a bit of silly reportage from NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...to-work-out-for-green-bay-packers-on-saturday

"[McNight] was released Monday by the New York Jets after three seasons. McKnight's preseason was marred by a failed conditioning test, anxiety issues, concussion-like symptoms and a collapse that led to him being carted off the practice field. In other words, a change of scenery probably could do McKnight some good.

Reallly? His old scene was the least of his problems.

USC guy...he's probably been on TT's radar since 2007.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts