Mason Crosby

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, the Lions released Kickalicious today. I'd be in favor of bringing him in for the final pre-season game but doubt that TT would make such a move. I hope that I'm wrong

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Okay, the Lions released Kickalicious today. I'd be in favor of bringing him in for the final pre-season game but doubt that TT would make such a move. I hope that I'm wrong
Let's sign a Kicker for one game, who has little experience in FOOTBALL much less our ST group. I'm sure his timing will be perfect and he'll perform really well. Perfect sense.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team should just go ahead and go with Ramirez. He had an excellent pro day and was one of the nations best FG kickers over his college career. Has a strong leg and pretty accurate.

Looks like it's a good thing we didn't just go ahead and go with Ramirez...lol

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably did lock up the kicking job today, but there isn't one person on this site or in the GB management offices that is remotely confident that this is "the new" Mason Crosby.

If they weren't remotely confident in Crosby, then it stands to reason that he would have been cut months ago, does it not? The fact is aside from Family Night and one practice where he only had a total of 4 kicks, he has been absolutely excellent. But to some, that one practice and Family Night is all that matters.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To some --- Crosby did not kick all that well last year.
And he kicked very well the previous year, including setting some Packer records. Given what he has done since Family Night (91%, including about a dozen 53-64 yarders) there's no reason to think he isn't poised to bounce back in a big way.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Looks like Ramirez's chances were even lower than I thought. How's that pie tasting?

I could give two sh!ts less about ramirez, your humble pie will be force fed to you once missin crosby starts his choke cycle after a big miss and rolls down hill quickly like a fat kid that got tripped.

D

Dan115

I could give two sh!ts less about ramirez, your humble pie will be force fed to you once missin crosby starts his choke cycle after a big miss and rolls down hill quickly like a fat kid that got tripped.

AS a Packer backer---- Do you really want Crosby to miss just to show much GOPGO?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
AS a Packer backer---- Do you really want Crosby to miss just to show much GOPGO?

No, not at all.....I don't want to lose another few games due to his head being screwed on crooked, nor do I want to give up on the 30+ points he cost us last year......but, crosby is a head case and has all the tools needed to revert back to a slumpy season after a small dose of misses.
I will GLADLY step up at mid-season and admit if I am wrong.....because if missin crosby has done well above average by or after 8 games, he may just have snapped out of his head troubles. I would actually look forward to him being a high pertentage kicker rather than a edge of your seat and pray type kicker.

12theTruth

For the Packers sake and success this season I hope Crosby does well. So Mason has a couple of nice practices and now he is all of a sudden this money kicker like he was in 2011, LOL! It has been plain to see how the mental aspect of kicking tormented Crosby last season and at times throughout this preseason. McCarthy will be going out of his way to shower Crosby with praise when Crosby does good because of Crosby's fragile psyche.

Crosby's hold on the FG position is tenuous at best at least at the moment.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you ready for your own big bite when we revisit this thread in 4 months?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the Packers sake and success this season I hope Crosby does well. So Mason has a couple of nice practices

A "couple nice practices?" Like I said, 91% over the past 3 and a half weeks. That's more than " a couple." I would be you guys about anything that his average is FAR closer to 2011 than 2012.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
A "couple nice practices?" Like I said, 91% over the past 3 and a half weeks. That's more than " a couple." I would be you guys about anything that his average is FAR closer to 2011 than 2012.

Thank you Allen Iverson

I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one of the big Crosby supporters, and still am to some degree because I think he's been solid (AJ Hawk-ish) for most of his career here. My issue is that we've seen the sort of meltdowns in training camp that we saw last season, which moves me away from "it was just a slump" thinking towards "these might be tremors in between earthquakes" line of thinking. Below is the camp report from JS Online GoPGo. You can't slice numbers to benefit your argument saying that he kicked over 90% otherwise you might just say that he's 100% since Monday (outstanding!). Crosby's percentage in camp was 83.3%, which is still below the 2012 regular season average. I wouldn't call that "absolutely excellent," I would call that below average especially considering it was only preseason and not even the regular season. I want him to bounce back, but there are signs that it's not happening. The 14 for 14 was a positive sign, but for most folks its balanced against his awful practice session.

It's also worth noting that McCarthy won't commit to him, even after letting the other two kickers go. It seems that MM and TT are sharing the same concerns as most of us.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ing-camp-winds-down-b9984679z1-221422331.html
Premature discussion: McCarthy would not call the kicking job Crosby's, in part because Crosby has kicked well and then had lapses. He'll do all the field goal kicking against Kansas City unless Tavecchio is brought back.

"I'm not going to say that at this moment," McCarthy said of Crosby being his kicker. "I thought Mason hit the ball very well this week. As you look forward, that's what he's done in the early part of his career. I've been very impressed with Mason in his last two kicking opportunities, lining up with a three-way competition on Sunday and then today.

"So, he's had a very good week."

There were two sessions to the kicking competition, one with kicks into the wind and one with kicks with the wind.

Crosby's makes in order were from 33, 37, 40, 42, 45, 48, 58, 35, 40, 44, 47, 51, 54 and 64 yards. Ramirez's makes were from 33, 37, 40, 45, 40 and 51 yards.

Crosby has hit 58 of 65 attempts (89.2%) in practice and games since his dreadful 2-for-8 performance in the intrasquad scrimmage. For the summer, he has hit 70 of 84 (83.3%) compared to Tavecchio's 56 of 65 (86.2%).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's sign a Kicker for one game, who has little experience in FOOTBALL much less our ST group. I'm sure his timing will be perfect and he'll perform really well. Perfect sense.
There are Lions players that seem certain he will be an NFL kicker. I didn't hear those kind of endorsements coming out from our camp about Tavecchio. It's an option.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...s-havard-rugland-gets-boot-detroit-lions-cuts
Akers believes Rugland could have a bright future. "Exposure means a lot in this league," Akers said. "If he can catch on to gain experience, the sky's the limit." Rugland made an impression on the Lions' players during training camp. "That big boot? He's legit," receiver Nate Burleson said last month. "Kickalicious is for real. He isn't just an Internet sensation."

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
"If he can catch on to gain experience" Being the operative statement. Sergio's ability to be an NFL Kicker was never in question. Also, those endorsements are because of Rugland's leg strength, something Tavecchio doesn't have more than a moderate/adequate amount of.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when did you say that you were? I have, twice now. You seem a tad proud to do so, which is not a bad thing to be, but you do have to know when to concede.

You're acting as if I should concede that I'm wrong and that Crosby will repeat 2012 before 2013 ever starts. If he does repeat 2012, then what is there to concede anyway? The facts will speak for themselves, will they not?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are Lions players that seem certain he will be an NFL kicker. I didn't hear those kind of endorsements coming out from our camp about Tavecchio. It's an option.

It's a shot in the dark is what it is. Ask yourself, if the Lions had a choice between him and Akers and chose Akers, do we really want to hand that guy the job on three days notice? I think the answer is a resounding "NO." If we had a couple weeks to evaluate him that might be different, but we don't and he has no body of work by which to judge him.

Members online

Latest posts