Marshawn Lynch for AJ Hawk trade RUMOR---coming from a Bills site, opinions?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch is better IMO and the Bills need help everywhere, hopefully they are in talks for him right now, we need help in the backfield badly

It's obvious you don't read anything anyone else says, or else you'd see we DON'T need help in the backfield "Badly."

Geez guys, have some patience.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's obvious you don't read anything anyone else says, or else you'd see we DON'T need help in the backfield "Badly."

Geez guys, have some patience.

Why wait to see something not develop. We couldnt even move the ball against one of the worst teams in the league! I understand team pride, but be realistic spartachris, Marshawn Lynch > Brandon Jackson... The one thing about the teams you named is that they at least had threats at the running position. Joseph Addai and the Chargers backfield which was at the time a hot Sproles and an injured but still running LT... Get real with yourself dude, its kinda sad..

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, what's sad and pathetic is how you suggest we need to make some kind of obscene trade to bolster an area that we've shown doesn't really need much bolstering. What, because he didn't go 110 yards on 11 carries, suddenly we need to trade draft picks and starters and bring in someone else? You're making a rash judgement of a guy who got a whopping 11 carries in a game where they stacked the box and forced Rodgers to beat them in the air after seeing how he was off his game in week 1. It's kind of hard to find a rhythm when you're not carrying the ball much.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well its gunna be harder to pass after they drop everyone outta the box when we have no run threat. I like Jackson but as a third down back. I would rather have Lynch over Grant to be completely honest with you. I think the potential of Lynch is much higher and he never lived up to his expectations in Buffalo. Sometimes a change in scenery is magic.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's too early to tell with Jackson, but otherwise I agree with just about everything you said. I don't like Lynch's off-field legal issues though. He's one bad encounter away from a suspension, which is why I'd rather not over-pay for him. Frankly, I think the Bills are asking way too steep a price. Someone already offered them a 3rd and a player for Lynch and they turned it down. To be fair, I'm not sure who the player is that was offered, so maybe that was the deal breaker. Either way, the HB position is said by many to be the easiest spot to fill, so I wouldn't give up more than a 4th for him.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure TT has weighed out options, and has an educated idea on the value of what's available, but RB is one of the easiest positions to earn production in...we have guys that are ready to go, now...so why gamble our potential future for something that we might already have?

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see both of your points but on the other side of it, why would we gamble on this year when we could bring in a guy we know would be better, and help us this year when we have a very good chance at a SB.. We need more depth in my opinion anyways, Kuhn is not a true RB, we need depth.. Almost every team in the league has two possible starters, a two headed monster if you will. Jackson wouldnt start on any other team in the league I dont think..

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure TT has weighed out options, and has an educated idea on the value of what's available, but RB is one of the easiest positions to earn production in...we have guys that are ready to go, now...so why gamble our potential future for something that we might already have?

I agree with this too. I wouldn't object to giving up a low round draft pick, but I think we need to give Jackson more of an opportunity to show what he can do.

Last season, Lynch averaged 3.8 yards on 120 carries. Jackson had 37 carries for an average of 3 yards per carry. 3 times less carries and not a full yard less per average.

In 2008 Jackson averaged 5.5 yards per carry over 45 carries. Lynch went 4.1 over 250 carries. 5 times more carries, less yards per carry.

This season Lynch is 20 carries for 3.9 YPC to date, compared to Jackson's 29 carries for a 3.2 average. Against Philly, Jackson averaged 3.5 yards per carry- Why? Philly was playing the pass.

No, none of those numbers are lights out, but looking at it from a purely statistical perspective, Jackson and Lynch have pretty similar stats with the slight edge going to Lynch. We can't go making judgments about Jackson based on one game in which he saw so little carries. The kid deserves a chance to prove himself.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 4 games between now and the trade deadline of October 19. I think we need to see what he can do during that time. If he's still not cutting it, we should pull the trigger. Otherwise, we should just move on.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't understand why we HAVE to give Jackson a chance. He's had plenty of carries in his career. We know what he is. The light isn't suddenly going to go on for him. I really believe his potential's maxed out.

He's below-average to average, depending on your point of view. If you can get someone in who you think is better than that (not saying it's Lynch, but someone), pull the trigger ASAP.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why we HAVE to give Jackson a chance. He's had plenty of carries in his career. We know what he is. The light isn't suddenly going to go on for him. I really believe his potential's maxed out.

He's below-average to average, depending on your point of view. If you can get someone in who you think is better than that (not saying it's Lynch, but someone), pull the trigger ASAP.

I :heart: this comment like I as well :heart: Beadle... hahaha

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I think this is probably in line with what the organization thinks. What you see is what we are gonna have for a while. Compare the situation in New Orleans. Reggie Bush breaks his leg and right away the Saints bring in Ladell Betts for a workout. Have we heard of any veteran free agent backs working out for the Packers since Grant got hurt? I think this is a pretty good indication the Packers are standing pat on what they have.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is probably in line with what the organization thinks. What you see is what we are gonna have for a while. Compare the situation in New Orleans. Reggie Bush breaks his leg and right away the Saints bring in Ladell Betts for a workout. Have we heard of any veteran free agent backs working out for the Packers since Grant got hurt? I think this is a pretty good indication the Packers are standing pat on what they have.

great point, Willie Parker has been released for a while, LJ is a joke, why take a potential expensive option on a short term player? TT made a good move grabbing a young, moldable, running back that has the desire to play with a killer opportunity, give Nance a chance...fresh legs, barely used in college, picked up blitzes well in college, good receiving back, inexpensive, & no issues...It wouldn't surprise me if Dimitri takes over if he can get the ball more, his size is ideal...if no trade occurs, expect Dimitri to at least split the load with BJ...and the side effect of that would light a fire under BJ to perform & compete, b/c he has ZERO competition at the moment for the in-game-reps he is getting...how's that saying goes, "Competition breeds Excellence"

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, not really. We picked him up originally to be our starter, but went to Grant when he got injured. Grant was so good, we never went back. Jackson has been second string ever since.

McCarthy has stated numerous times Jackson has improved. I'm inclined to believe that's true, and it costs us nothing to find out over the next 4 games how good he is or isn't.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how about we go after jamal charles... the chiefs arent using him lol. clearly we would never get him and im just joking but hey what the heck.

Topper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keys on why to go after Lynch

1. He can catch great out of the backfield
2. He can run well in all playing conditions, especially snow
3. Power & speed runner
4. Very good instincts and intuitive runner, makes things happen when nothing is there
5. Excellent in the redzone
6. Only 27 yrs old
7. Next year Grant/Lynch/BJ backfield very formidable

Adds a new dimension to our running game we currently don't have, an agile runner that can adlib. Defensives can't gameplan for a RB that can make things up as he goes, unlike BJ & Kuhn. I like them both but they're not the caliber of an instinctual runner that Lynch is. BJ is a very solid number #2, even though, so far, I think he is running the best he has in his career.

Caveat – Buffalo price tag may be too steep. However, I would give a 2nd rounder for him. He’s a proven player, granted there’s baggage, but with new scenery I think he will flourish here.

Bossfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We would be a lot better offensively with a back like Lynch. Almost, would have to say we could be unstoppable. Why not trade a 2nd rounder and take a chance... We are still one of the youngest teams in the league. I truly think that this could be the Packers year for a shot at winning the SB and we should stock up on any offensive weapons we can get. If we can not stop them defensively then we should at least have enough weapons to out score any other team in the league. When you get in the playoffs you may have to run the ball to win.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what I think happens- I think we continue to work with Jackson as our feature back for the next couple of weeks to see if there's any in-game improvement. Ted isn't one to over-react, so he's not going to pull the trigger on a trade for a feature back unless he's sure we don't already have that guy on our roster. And I'm sorry, but getting him 11 carries isn't enough to really judge how good or bad he is. It's just not.

Only if Jackson doesn't show improvement over the next couple of games would I believe Ted would start to really look at a trade.

FWIW, as of Monday night, trade talks for Lynch were still ongoing, according to Buffalo News: Lynch trade talk intensifies after Packers game - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade makes sense mainly from a salary standpoint. The contracts are within range for each player and each team. But....Lynch has been beaten out by two guys with less investment. Spiller was a first rounder this year...but is a rookie after all, and Fred Jackson was a Div. III player with some time in playing with an indoor football league. Plus Lynch has had...shall we say....motivational problems.
Hawk has always been bad-mouthed by Packers fans, yet all the guy does is play hard and make tackles. He isn't good in coverage, but is solid between defensive ends. This is a trade neither team needs to make, but they probably will just to say they did something to improve the team, whether that happens or not.

Topper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sparta I see where you're coming from and I'm sure that's the way TT will go with this whole topic. But, we already know what we have with BJ, I love the guy and he runs hard and this will be his best year as a running back but he will not take us to the promise land. He is a solid number #2 and defenses don't gameplan around him nor fear him. If we get an unpredicatable running like Lynch, teams will fear him and the combination of the two would be lethal. This would take pressure off of teams all out blitzing ARod too, it would keep everybody honest. Plus, we would be two dimensional instead of our pass first obligation.

If we wait and give it sometime, it could backfire and buffalo's price could go up. If BJ and the running game are stagnant over the next couple of games, they know we will be in more desperation and the price goes up and they have more leverage. Yes, it can go the other way as well but it's a risk and if you get him now he can acclimate to our offense before the big games coming up on our schedule.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
latest!

apparently buffalo just brought up another running back from their practice squad... 4 running backs are too many... also we admitted jackson cant handle the full load. Does this mean anything?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sparta I see where you're coming from and I'm sure that's the way TT will go with this whole topic. But, we already know what we have with BJ, I love the guy and he runs hard and this will be his best year as a running back but he will not take us to the promise land. He is a solid number #2 and defenses don't gameplan around him nor fear him. If we get an unpredicatable running like Lynch, teams will fear him and the combination of the two would be lethal. This would take pressure off of teams all out blitzing ARod too, it would keep everybody honest. Plus, we would be two dimensional instead of our pass first obligation.

If we wait and give it sometime, it could backfire and buffalo's price could go up. If BJ and the running game are stagnant over the next couple of games, they know we will be in more desperation and the price goes up and they have more leverage. Yes, it can go the other way as well but it's a risk and if you get him now he can acclimate to our offense before the big games coming up on our schedule.

No one has ever feared lynch. At least not since he was driving the medical cart around the field in college (check youtube). Why does everyone think Lynch is good? Seriously baffles me.

Raise their price? To what? a 1st rounder? I cant see anyone doing that, even al davis. Ted wont touch this trade unless its for a very very low pick.