Mario Williams?

FiercePierce6

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers himself said earlier last month that he thinks Teddy is going to make a splash in free agency. Going against his usual way. Rodgers also said he thinks it'll be on the defensive side of the ball..

I originally thought Cliff Avril, but he got tagged.

Williams is a free agent.

I know it's extremely far fetched. But imagine him on one of the ends. Or possibly on the opposite side of Clay. Though end makes much more sense.

Let's pray folks.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a good idea. Williams would have to take a big pay cut. Like maybe 10M per year. People will do crazy things for a ring. Yes it is far fetched but there's always that chance. Not holding my breath as I believe TT will get his man in the draft for much cheaper.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers himself said earlier last month that he thinks Teddy is going to make a splash in free agency. Going against his usual way. Rodgers also said he thinks it'll be on the defensive side of the ball..

I originally thought Cliff Avril, but he got tagged.

Williams is a free agent.

I know it's extremely far fetched. But imagine him on one of the ends. Or possibly on the opposite side of Clay. Though end makes much more sense.

Let's pray folks.

he is considered a ROLB (Right Outside Line Backer). that is what he would play in our system. Mario Williams as an end in a 3-4 doesn't really make much sense to me.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd be a big help but w/a big contract. If I were to sign him I'd give'em a 2 yr deal worth about 23Mw/the option to pick up the 2nd year. Pay him 10M w/3M incentives for the 1st yr.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing! I have a bad feeling it might just be a dream, but who would have guessed that we would have gotten Reggie White? Nobody! I guess we can hope!

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd be a big help but w/a big contract. If I were to sign him I'd give'em a 2 yr deal worth about 23Mw/the option to pick up the 2nd year. Pay him 10M w/3M incentives for the 1st yr.

this makes a tremendous amount of sense, what are you doing on this forum?

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just tryin' to help. The thing is.....TT doesn't ask for my help or opinion.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we also paid Reggie more than anyone else was willing to.

This isn't happening folks. We will not be signing the most desired defensive player available.

We have to pay raji and Matthews. Then Rodgers. If we are dreaming maybe we can trade for revis too.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we're not getting Williams. Besides he missed a few games last year due to injury. TT will grab someone in April

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
he is considered a ROLB (Right Outside Line Backer). that is what he would play in our system. Mario Williams as an end in a 3-4 doesn't really make much sense to me.

He's 6'6" and almost 290. That's a typical defensive end build. If he came here he would be a defensive end.

The concept of a ring I'd like to think would be enough for a player like him to be reasonable in his negotiations. He's one of the best at his position in the leauge, he's still young so it's not like we're investing in a dinosaur and would fix our issues exponentially and opens up our draft options.

I'd love him here, he is an impact player and we wouldn't have to worry too much about our pass rush anymore with him. Gives us an opportunity to address some areas like Safety, god forbid if Collins is done

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing! I have a bad feeling it might just be a dream, but who would have guessed that we would have gotten Reggie White? Nobody! I guess we can hope!
Well THAT was Ron Wolf.
This is General Ted.

Don't let yourself Dream this big fellas!!!!
Don't fall prey to that pipedream!!!

I've done it before.... and we always wake up sad.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's 6'6" and almost 290. That's a typical defensive end build. If he came here he would be a defensive end.

The concept of a ring I'd like to think would be enough for a player like him to be reasonable in his negotiations. He's one of the best at his position in the leauge, he's still young so it's not like we're investing in a dinosaur and would fix our issues exponentially and opens up our draft options.

I'd love him here, he is an impact player and we wouldn't have to worry too much about our pass rush anymore with him. Gives us an opportunity to address some areas like Safety, god forbid if Collins is done

No, he wouldn't. The Texans ran a 3-4 and he was an outside linebacker, we run a 3-4, what makes you think we would move him to defensive end? Don't let size fool you, people get caught up waaaaaay to much on height and weight and not skill.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If I were to sign him I'd give'em a 2 yr deal worth about 23Mw/the option to pick up the 2nd year. Pay him 10M w/3M incentives for the 1st yr.
I understand you’re engaging in speculation/fantasy but even so IMO you’ve got to be somewhat realistic, and this just isn’t realistic at all. Last off season Tamba Hali signed a contract for a reported 5 years, $60M with $35M guaranteed. Charles Johnson re-signed with the Panthers for a reported 6 years, $76M with $30M guaranteed. And you’re offering Williams a two year contract with incentives? What if he gets injured? The biggest question regarding any big money UFA signing IMO is which Packers don’t you extend this year and next, because they can’t acquire Williams with anything close to what you’ve posted.

Reaction score
Well THAT was Ron Wolf.
This is General Ted.

Don't let yourself Dream this big fellas!!!!
Don't fall prey to that pipedream!!!

I've done it before.... and we always wake up sad.
Didn't we get a player named Charles Woodson? That was the last free agent I wanted to get... and we know how that turned out!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we get a player named Charles Woodson? That was the last free agent I wanted to get... and we know how that turned out!
Huge difference between Woodsen-then and SuperMario-now.
Woodson was old and washed up. Broken down.
NOBODY ELSE wanted him. Remember?
Woodson did NOT want to come to Green Bay. But NOBODY ELSE wanted him. He had no other offers. No alternatives. He was even mad and poutty when he got to Green Bay.

Williams is coveted by everyone, and will be offered boatloads of $$ (see previous post about dollar amounts for Charles Johnson and Tamba Hali), and will have options to go to almost any team he chooses.

Teddy Thompson does not play that game.

He hasn't even signed ANY unrestricted free agent for 4 years.
I'd love to add Mario Williams so badly, but don't let yourselves fall victim to these unrealistic dreams!

Reaction score
don't let yourselves fall victim to these unrealistic dreams!
I try, but it's hard to resist. At the end of the day, my dream still has Matthews, Rodgers, Jennings, and the rest of the Packers so at the end of the day, I'm not disappointed if we don't get him because I really don't expect to get him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Woodson was old and washed up. Broken down. NOBODY ELSE wanted him. Remember?
Woodson did NOT want to come to Green Bay. But NOBODY ELSE wanted him. He had no other offers. No alternatives.
In the interest of accuracy, (1) when the Packers signed Woodson he was 29 years old. Certainly not "young" but I wouldn't characterize that as "old" either. In that free agent period, the (2) Tampa Bay Bucs expressed interest in Woodson and perhaps even offered him a contract, but they wanted him as a safety, not at CB. So he did have an alternative. (3) He could be characterized as injury prone at the time and he had a reputation as a problem in the locker room. So this "fact check" scores this post one out of three. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts