Manning got PAID

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
96 million for 5 years.

No way this was gonna happen with the Colts. We would have had to have traded the first pick in the draft probably.

We can't afford that IMO anyway. Polian left us with a lot of bad contracts.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Now I'm sure Brees will want to be paid 100 million.

I'm not sorry if this offends some people on this board, but the money thing really rubs me the wrong direction for some of the players wanting more and more money. I am not wealthy, but if I had just a little bit of what they get paid on the field, I'd have it made with barely 50 thousand dollars, rather than whining about not getting 100 million.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping this has not set a precedent that QBs are going to expect in the future. 96 mil for 5 years? That's jaw dropping. Either the Broncos know something about Manning that the rest of us don't or they are just plain crazy. They must be pretty dang confident that Manning is going to be worth that contract or the Broncos are going to land up looking like fools.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm hoping this has not set a precedent that QBs are going to expect in the future. 96 mil for 5 years? That's jaw dropping. Either the Broncos know something about Manning that the rest of us don't or they are just plain crazy. They must be pretty dang confident that Manning is going to be worth that contract or the Broncos are going to land up looking like fools.

I highly doubt Montana was paid close to that amount for his last 2 years with another team, but I am really curious right now. But back then, I don't think anyone made close to the numbers today.

That is just way too much money to give any player. i don't care if your the best QB of the last 50 years, 96 million can buy many players. We also don't know if Manning is going to be durable yet. Bronco's O-line is better than the other 2 teams that wanted him, but I still wouldn't give that much money to a quarterback coming back from 4 neck surgeries.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
My jaw dropped. I am wondering what this was all about in Indy anyway. Like I said NO WAY WOULD WE PAY PEYTON THAT MUCH. And no way would Peyton stay for peanuts in Indy for a few years while Luck rode the bench and we win like 9 games if lucky

It is becoming clear to me that Peyton did want to get paid even though this WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT THE MONEY. He wanted a long term deal. And Indy was not going to do it and I don't blame him. We have more issues then people can imagine to just worry about Peyton and his legacy and his desires.

I am sure both Peyton and Irsay lied like crazy. They both did.

I also do not buy when guys like Mort say that Peyton thought he was going back to Indy all along. BS. You don't have your field of teams narrowed this quickly and have a mission like Manning did without doing some research first. Miami was contacting Peyton well before he was released....tampering probably.

Yes Brees will want more money and deserves it too. He is years younger and healthy last time I checked.

And wow. The Broncos and Manning talking about SB or bust basically? Did I hear this right? This stuff never happened under guys like Dungy. It was always one game at a time.

Elway said they want to make Peyton go down as the best QB ever. Just as I thought......he is saying all the right things to feed Peyton's ego too.

No way was Peyton and Luck going to co-exist. NO WAY.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt Montana was paid close to that amount for his last 2 years with another team, but I am really curious right now. But back then, I don't think anyone made close to the numbers today.

That is just way too much money to give any player. i don't care if your the best QB of the last 50 years, 96 million can buy many players. We also don't know if Manning is going to be durable yet. Bronco's O-line is better than the other 2 teams that wanted him, but I still wouldn't give that much money to a quarterback coming back from 4 neck surgeries.

Exactly. There are a lot of gambles/ risks being taken and somebody is going to land up looking like a fool. Either it's going to be the Broncos if Manning turns out to be not worth 30 mil for 1 year or it's going to be the Colts if Manning starts playing like a pro bowler and Luck turns out to be a bust. Somebody is going to lose in this game and all we can do is speculate as to who it may be.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

They have to be confident or stupid. I guess we will find out soon.

But, the fans and the team want a title. Period.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I still find it interesting that Reggie Wayne did not follow Peyton. Keep in mind, his #1 receiver for years who worked out with him this offseason.

Maybe Reggie knows Peyton won't ever be the old Peyton.

Or maybe he was just loyal and wanted to stay in Indy. He even turned down NE.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have to be confident or stupid. I guess we will find out soon.

But, the fans and the team want a title. Period.

I'm sure the Broncos medical staff put Manning through the wringer to make sure he was medically sound to play, or at least I hope for their sakes they did. 96 mil is one hell of a lot of money to drop on one player. I hope they are thinking this through, considering the cap and they players already on their roster.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Manning may be a Top quarterback of all time, but I have always argued he was overrated in that category just by the number of Super Bowls he won.

No matter how pass friendly this league becomes, and even if we have a 6,000 yard passing QB, Joe Montana will still always be the greatest QB of all time in my opinion. Second to none, he was the game's ultimate game manager, and he never benefited from the refs helping him with an obvious fumble (Mr Tuck Rule) and nor did he always have to throw the ball like Marino. Not just skills, I give Montana credit for being a game manager, and running the ball when he needed to. Marino called all his own plays, but he hated running the ball. I am not sure, but I do think Montana also called his own plays most of his career, and I remember the Niners liked to run the ball quite frequently. Roger Craig didn't set them records by barely getting any carries.

We may be in an all passing league, but a QB don't guarantee you an automatic Super Bowl team. I know, a 9-7 team winning the Super Bowl this year with the 32nd rushing offense and 30th ranked defense can probably convince you, but I'm still not sold, or otherwise, the Saints would have repeated back in 2010 when Brees was throwing 40-60 passes a game and their running game was absolute crap. This may be a Quarterback league, but the QB is not the only guy worth money on the team. Look at the Ravens, Joe Flacco is not a Top 10 quarterback, but they have a defense.

I am not sold on the Broncos at all. Think they totally over paid Peyton and will barely have enough money to bring in talent like they claimed they would. If you pay him 96 million, how much are you going to pay a receiver? And let me tell you, that running game was the product of having a crappy quarterback. They won't be averaging 150-200 rushing yards a game with Manning. I'm sure they'll run it every now and then, but the reason the rushing stats was so inflated was because Tebow couldn't complete that many passes.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Tebow also ran a lot too!!!!

Oh man this is a lot of money. And 5 years!!!!!!!!

I hear rumors they want Wallace. Well, I am not even sure Peyton can hit those long throws. He couldn't in 2010.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Well most still think with SF he had a better shot to win it all NOW. Mostly based on that D. When we won it all in 2006......it was the D.

Man oh man Tony Dungy has to be cringing today. He always said Peyton might retire if the Colts let him go.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Well most still think with SF he had a better shot to win it all NOW

He would have had a better shot of taking a career ending injury behind an offensive line that lets the quarterback get mauled and don't care one bit.

Love the Niners defense, but looking back, the offense is what killed them in the playoffs. Can't blame it all on Kyle Williams when your offense fails to convert on 3rd down.

Yet I still think the refs did help the Giants quite a bit. Bradhsaw clearly fumbled and they blew the whistle to stop that from counting. Can't say I am not biased to thinking the NFL was wetting their pants to see a Patriots/Giants rematch after the Packers lost. The refs DID give the game to New England by calling those 2 interceptions back, even after Baltimore blew it in the end, you can't say those 2 interceptions they called back were not aiding Brady in a horrible game.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Giants can suck it!!!!!!!

So can the Niners.

I lost respect for Harbaugh this offseason. Moss was a big red flag to begin with.

Most teams can suck it now.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Sample quote from one of the bitter Colts fans. There are some.....

I now hate Jim Irsay with a passion good for you Peyton you found some people who are serious about helping YOU win.
See what I mean? It's about HIM. Always HIM. Since day 1.
Team. It's about a team.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
According to the nut cases of Denver fans, it was all about Tebow, and they only won Super Bowls cause it was all about Elway :rolleyes: Yet all I can think about in flash backs of the Denver SB teams was how the 97 and 98 teams had an actual running game in an awesome RB; Terrell Davis, and how the other SB Denver teams (86, 87, 89) were all about Elway forcing the ball under heavy pressure to get intercepted. They also had defense too. While the 80's Broncos teams were high ranked on defense, they didn't really do much in the playoffs. Kinda like the Denver defense we saw in the playoffs this season.

So yeah it's all about HIM, or all about the quarterback, but good god, 96 million to ONE guy?

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This still baffles me.

Yep. This was all gonna happen. Peyton on the Colts for half of what he wanted and grooming Luck at the same time.

Yep totally was gonna happen.

5 years. 96 million.

Members online

Latest posts