Major change on my draft board

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey with the release of Charles Woodson i'd target Tyron Mattheau (honey Badger) hard now. He's the only guy in the draft capable of doing what Woodson did in our defense. The rare combination of size,speed, and playmaking ability make him an attractive prospect even with the off the field issues.
I think he can turn his life around and be a model citizen in a town like Green Bay.

Call it crazy but if we don't retain Woodson i have him #1 on my draft board now. Especially if he tears it up at the combine or his pro day. As good as Heyward was he's not the answer when it comes to filling Woodsons void...heck no one is but this guy is close.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hey with the release of Charles Woodson i'd target Tyron Mattheau (Honey Badger) hard now. He's the only guy in the draft capable of doing what Woodson did in our defense. The rare combination of size,speed, and playmaking ability make him an attractive prospect even with the off the field issues.
I think he can turn his life around and be a model citizen in a town like Green Bay.

Call it crazy but if we don't retain Woodson i have him #1 on my draft board now. Especially if he tears it up at the combine or his pro day. As good as Heyward was he's not the answer when it comes to filling Woodsons void...heck no one is but this guy is close.
I cannot take this post seriously.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't take seriously investing a major pick on a guy who was booted out of his school even though he was their best player.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Considering his post in the Woodson thread I was wondering which team’s draft board he was changing in the OP.

And here’s the sad truth: Charles Woodson can no longer do what Charles Woodson did in the Packers’ defense.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, no. Woodson didn't replace Heyward when he came back from injury. He was a safety only for us. And he got old. And slow. It happens, but his time was coming.

This is one of the ways "it just is" under Thompson. He generally will cut an older player to 'force' the team to get better rather than keep a slipping player too long due to comfort. Not to compare Woodson to Peprah, but getting rid of each of them was more or less the same decision.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call it crazy but ...

Ok... you're crazy! He's 5'9" and 180 lbs. So, no size. Yes, he's fast and a playmaker. But, there's that little red flag lingering from the fact that he was kicked off LSU's football team!!! Do you know how bad you have to mess up to get kicked off an SEC team when you are its best player?! It's not as if Les Miles runs a tight ship down there and football rules in these schools. So for him to get kicked off the team means (1) he did something really stupid, and (2) he had a history of doing really stupid things that finally forced the hand.

Given our depth at CB and KR/PR (Cobb and Ross), I'm going to pass on this headache. I agree he could be a steal for some team - look at that Jenkins kid on the Rams last season for an example. But, it's not worth bringing that kind of kid into our locker room.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. The thing is though, we prolly wont even have to use a first rd pick on him, we could prolly get him in the third.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like this. I don't like this one bit.

The only way I would take this kid is if we didn't invest anything. The same way Vontaze Burfict was picked up-- in UDFA.

This guy has been kicked off his High School team and College team. He was also even caught and arrested for drug possesion after he was kicked off LSU! Strikes me as a kid that might never learn..

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Don't even bring him in as a FA. Why the hell would you want this guy on your team? Two drug busts that we know of, a failed attempt in rehab. I don't want this guy within a mile of my locker room.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From FootballOutsiders:
The Packers aren't likely to have as many receiver injuries in 2013 as they had in 2012, so they now can move toward fixing the other reason their offense had some stagnant games last season: their offensive line. Think back to the replacement-ref debacle against Seattle in Week 3: The reason that game was close in the first place was because of the eight sacks Aaron Rodgers took. Yes, Rodgers is always going to find more than his share of sacks while trying to buy extra time, but last season the Packers fell to 31st in our adjusted sack rate.
Jeff Saturday's timely retirement will help, as will Bryan Bulaga's return from a hip fracture, but Green Bay will have to do more to surround stalwart guard Josh Sitton with talented players this offseason. Our game-charting project seems to indicate that most of the problems came from the left side of the line. Left tackle Marshall Newhouse was directly responsible for 17 blown blocks that led to hurries or sacks, and left guard T.J. Lang added another 11 of his own on the inside.
Green Bay's cap situation and organizational philosophy likely will keep it from pursuing an upper-echelon tackle on the free-agent market (even after releasing Charles Woodson), but the Packers could have plenty of acceptable options in the back of the first round. Oklahoma's Lane Johnson and Oregon's Kyle Long are a couple of players with multidimensional backgrounds who could be available that late in the draft. Providing Rodgers the extra second-and-a-half he needs to get back to dominating games would be the biggest improvement Green Bay could make this offseason

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
From FootballOutsiders:
The Packers aren't likely to have as many receiver injuries in 2013 as they had in 2012, so they now can move toward fixing the other reason their offense had some stagnant games last season: their offensive line. Think back to the replacement-ref debacle against Seattle in Week 3: The reason that game was close in the first place was because of the eight sacks Aaron Rodgers took. Yes, Rodgers is always going to find more than his share of sacks while trying to buy extra time, but last season the Packers fell to 31st in our adjusted sack rate.
Jeff Saturday's timely retirement will help, as will Bryan Bulaga's return from a hip fracture, but Green Bay will have to do more to surround stalwart guard Josh Sitton with talented players this offseason. Our game-charting project seems to indicate that most of the problems came from the left side of the line. Left tackle Marshall Newhouse was directly responsible for 17 blown blocks that led to hurries or sacks, and left guard T.J. Lang added another 11 of his own on the inside.
Green Bay's cap situation and organizational philosophy likely will keep it from pursuing an upper-echelon tackle on the free-agent market (even after releasing Charles Woodson), but the Packers could have plenty of acceptable options in the back of the first round. Oklahoma's Lane Johnson and Oregon's Kyle Long are a couple of players with multidimensional backgrounds who could be available that late in the draft. Providing Rodgers the extra second-and-a-half he needs to get back to dominating games would be the biggest improvement Green Bay could make this offseason
What's our average pocket time again?

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking back to most Packer pass plays, an additional 2 1/2 seconds of pocket time would increase it to ...... oh maybe 3 or 3 1/2 seconds hahaha. Rodgers is barely able to set up at all before needing to maneuver to avoid the first wave that gets let in. It takes maybe 5 or 6 seconds for a WR to go long - 50 or so yards. When have we ever seen Rodgers able to wait for that without rolling out and/or scrambling? Double moves? Check downs to other receivers? He finds a way to do it, but no thanks to line blocking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts