Majik "deserves" Hall bid

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
no way, Ricky...

think about it...to throw for over 4,000 yards in 1989..and be second in QB rating only to Joe Montana....on that Packer team that year?...that is quite a feat...!

..and it goes to show you that football is a team sport...

put any HOF QB on the same team...and you might not even get those results!

think about if Brett Favre was drafted in 82' and had to play on those stinko Packer teams of the 80's...or Johnny Unitas...or anyone for that matter...

to top it off...the Pack's o-line was like a sieve..and Majik usually had to run for his life..and nobody respected the run...then, he took a pounding and got hurt..

a QB alone can not save a football team..especially if those around him are sub-par at best...

i would have liked to have seen Majik on the 95' and 96' Packer teams...then you would be singing a different tune...

sometimes an athlete just gets bad breaks..by not beeing in the right situation at the right time...

Farve's been pretty lucky, in that sense, except for the last 5-6 years...!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad Majic has made the PHOF. he did have some real loser teams that he was on. I remember in 92 being upset when some guy named FAV re came in and replaced him a few times.
Still and all I don't see it.
He played in GB only "6 years". He played all 16 games only season. His only outstanding year was 1989.
In a passing era he only had 2 seasons where he had more than 2000 yards. Barrig injury he would have done so in 90 & 91 as well but you don't make the Hall any Hall on what could have been.
Still in all I loved to watch him scramble around and my favorite game is the instant replay game. After all I love to hear the Bear fans whine and they still do to theis day.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked the Majik man. He gave us a special season in 1989. And I congratulate him on making the Packer Hall of Fame, but besides 1989, I don't think he really did that much. According to the link below, he only had one season where he was in the top 10 in the league in passing attempts, yards, or completions, and that was in 1989. He only had 3 seasons where he was in the top 10 in the league in TD passes. His numbers would make him a borderline starter on most teams.

I'm not trying to slam the guy, and it doesn't bother me that he's getting inducted to the Packer Hall of Fame. But I just didn't think he did much outside of 1989 to deserve to be in the Packer Hall of Fame. Granted, his shoulder injury might have played a big part in that. We'll never know if he could have had more seasons like 1989 if not for the shoulder injury.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... jkDo00.htm

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett's back up :lol:
No I think he would then have had 2500-3000 yds every yr. It's more than likely that Wolf would not have traded for Brett.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then what?
what?
Majic makes it to the PHOF legitimately and GB has Ty Detmer, Matt "we want the ball and we will score" Hasselbeck or Mark Brunnell. Not bad but certainly not BF.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man had one good season and some luck during that one to boot. The Packers did not even make the playoffs in that "magical" season that you hold so dearly. :?:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
The Packers did not even make the playoffs in that "magical" season that you hold so dearly. :?:

That may be so. But they did beat your Beloved TWICE that year didn't they?
You can put your Ditka asterisk by it if it makes you feel better but from the NFL records stand point it still comes up GB 2 Chicago 0. And in the end that is all that truly matters. :lol:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Philtration said:
The Packers did not even make the playoffs in that "magical" season that you hold so dearly. :?:

You can put your Ditka asterisk by it if it makes you feel better but from the NFL records stand point it still comes up GB 2 Chicago 0. And in the end that is all that truly matters. :lol:

Gee, I guess that was a "magical" season. Let us all take a deep breath and remember the time when Majik led the Packers to....to....nevermind.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
wpr said:
Philtration said:

Gee, I guess that was a "magical" season. Let us all take a deep breath and remember the time when Majik led the Packers to....to....nevermind.

Yes. As you have noticed on the other posts here, Packer fans do indeed enjoy talking about that season. So what? He led them to a 10-6 season. For GB tehn that was a successful season. That's about the time when the GB fans could start to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel. I don't expect a Bear fan to find it a very enjoyable year at all as they were starting to head into their own long and dark tunnel. Don't you wish the Bears could have a 10-6 season?
That doesn't mean you can mock the 1989. Go find something else to talk about.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Philtration said:
wpr said:
Philtration said:

Yes. As you have noticed on the other posts here, Packer fans do indeed enjoy talking about that season. So what? He led them to a 10-6 season. For GB tehn that was a successful season. That's about the time when the GB fans could start to see some light at the end of a very long tunnel. I don't expect a Bear fan to find it a very enjoyable year at all as they were starting to head into their own long and dark tunnel. Don't you wish the Bears could have a 10-6 season?

I am not mocking it. If that season and that player made you happy, then more power to you. I just think that it is has been blow out of proportion. He was not that great of a QB. The Bears played some incredibly exciting games in 2001 going 13-3 but there was some luck and opportunity on their side and I would never think that Jim Miller was a great QB by any means.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr, do yourself a favor and put philtration on the ignore list. just click ignore on one of his posts. dont even fight with this guy. you will never get sense into him.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One last thing PC:

Philtration said:
wpr said:
Philtration said:
wpr said:
Philtration said:

I am not mocking it. If that season and that player made you happy, then more power to you. I just think that it is has been blow out of proportion. He was not that great of a QB. The Bears played some incredibly exciting games in 2001 going 13-3 but there was some luck and opportunity on their side and I would never think that Jim Miller was a great QB by any means.

Phil,
go to my post at the top of page 3. I said then and there that one season doesn't make him a HOF in any sense. You are mixing two different issues together.
1. What is the worth of D.Majkowski.
1 a) Does he belong in the PHOF?
which is what this post was about.
and then your issue of
2. Can the Packer fans fondly remember the 1989 season?
Whether you mean to or not you seem to imply that just b/c he doesn't belong in the Hall and we didn't make the playoffs then it was a wasted season and we shouldn't talk about 1989 at all. Luck? Of course there was. As you mentioned it was a lot like 2001. Well maybe 2001 had more luck than 89 with all those 4th Qrtr Defensive TD's but the Bears kept the games close and a TO or two can and does make all the difference in many games.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66. It was 23 years of oblivion only seemed like 30 years and two more ('90 & '91) of losing after '89.before GM Tom Bratz (of not drafting Barry Sanders Fame ) was fired and Ron Wolf was hired. It was all was turned around in '92 with hiring of HC Mike Holmgren and big trade for Brett Favre with Atlanta engineered by Ron Wolf. Like one of the posters said "Majik man" was an exciting QB but did have much help rest of the team! He was running for his life most of the time. He deserves the Packer Hall of Fame!!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
wpr, do yourself a favor and put philtration on the ignore list. just click ignore on one of his posts. dont even fight with this guy. you will never get sense into him.

I beg to differ. I have no sense because I don't feel that this guy was a great QB? How many people outside of Wisconsin do you think regard him as great? Favre is a great QB. Majik is not even close.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:

I'm not sure why there's all this resentment pointed towards you Phil...nothing you said is unreasonable. In the context of recent Packer history, '89 was a great year for Packer fans, but yeah, as an out-of-stater, I'd probably find it odd if you came on here and proclaimed some random season like that a booming success for the Bears.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:

I'm not sure why there's all this resentment pointed towards you Phil...nothing you said is unreasonable. In the context of recent Packer history, '89 was a great year for Packer fans, but yeah, as an out-of-stater, I'd probably find it odd if you came on here and proclaimed some random season like that a booming success for the Bears.

Members online

Latest posts