Lovie Smith defends Jay Cutler as a leader, a tough guy

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A month after Jay Cutler endured a barrage of criticism for sitting out the second half of the NFC Championship Game, Bears coach Lovie Smith is still adamant in his support of Cutler as the leader of the team. Most recently, it came in a question-and-answer session on the team’s web site, where Smith was…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you dont need to defend tough guys and leaders. The body of work should speak for itself.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's he supposed to say. They mortgaged the next several years on the jerk and there's no getting rid of him.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Yep, and that they will be holding QB tryouts this season and personality matters.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only one or one of the few who doesn't let myself get blinded by hatred and can understand what Cutler may have gone through.
I don't root for the Bears either, but a bit more empathy could be shown for the guy.

If you have never played sports and been injured and had to take yourself out of the game, then one doesn't really have anything to say or write about Cutler.
And I dunno why all the attacks on him?
Seems like there's a lot of reaching just to hate.
Let it go.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leader, ha.

Jane Cuntler could not lead a thirsty horse to water. To the bench maybe, but not to water.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me why the medical staff didn't have him in a knee immobilizer or brace if he had a significant injury. If he had a low grade sprain of the ligament and tripped on the sideline and converted it to a high grade or complete tear there would have been hell to pay.

Either he had an insignificant injury, or the medical staff was negligent. The way he was seen moving around that night and the next week makes me think the medical staff did its job.

I'll never forget the ***hole sitting on the bench next to the backup who was poring through the photos and showing absolutely no interest in helping out. This is your leader?

These are the reasons I don't think much of him. But I'm happy he's a Bear, that's for sure.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to criticize Cutler for being a quitter just because he sat out due to medical reasons. If he's physically unable to play, then there's no point to calling him a quitter because he can't really do anything about it. If he had went out there with the injury, he probably would've made it worse, so I understand the decision to sit him out.

What I will criticize him for is his lack of leadership. When he sat out, he showed absolutely no motive to help out his teammates or his replacement quarterbacks. He didn't show them any glaring weaknesses for the offense to exploit, any tips, or even cheer them on. Not exactly the marks of a leader. A good example of leading while hurt is Charles Woodson cheering for the defense while sitting out due to a broken collarbone. Cutler should learn from examples such as this.

Members online

Latest posts