Losers

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Denver's cap hell for the next few years. They are actually in better position on the cap right now they Green Bay is. Manning's contract goes through 2016 and then falls off. If he leaves after 2015 the Broncos 2016 cap hit for him is $2.5 million.
Code:
YearTotal Liabilities  Salary Cap  Cap Room
2014   $130,826,902  $142,607,902  $11,781,000
2015    $89,062,292  $140,000,000  $50,937,708
2016    $76,723,328  $150,000,000  $73,276,672
2017   $29,040,000  $160,000,000  $130,960,000

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Broncos

D

Deleted member 6794

Found another source for you. If this is right, the Broncos will have $44 million in cap space next year. http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Broncos

Denver's cap hell for the next few years. They are actually in better position on the cap right now they Green Bay is. Manning's contract goes through 2016 and then falls off. If he leaves after 2015 the Broncos 2016 cap hit for him is $2.5 million.

But as of now they only have 27 players under contract for 2015.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
But as of now they only have 27 players under contract for 2015.
Yeah, they don't have all those $510,000 and $585,999 guys the Packers and other teams have signed. Sign 10 of those guys and its what, $6 million off the cap? Green Bay has like 30 of those guys on the roster. How many will be there at the start of the season?

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, they don't have all those $510,000 and $585,999 guys the Packers and other teams have signed. Sign 10 of those guys and its what, $6 million off the cap? Green Bay has like 30 of those guys on the roster. How many will be there at the start of the season?

Actually 13 of the guys the Broncos have on the roster for 2015 will count less than a $1 million against the cap. Every team has a lot of these guys as you don't pay huge money to special teams guys.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Actually 13 of the guys the Broncos have on the roster for 2015 will count less than a $1 million against the cap. Every team has a lot of these guys as you don't pay huge money to special teams guys.
Let's put it this way, the top 15 Bronco's in 2015 will account for $81,109,720 in cap space. The top 15 Packers in 2015 will account for $84,262,898 in cap space. So if the Broncos are in cap hell, so are the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's put it this way, the top 15 Bronco's in 2015 will account for $81,109,720 in cap space. The top 15 Packers in 2015 will account for $84,262,898 in cap space. So if the Broncos are in cap hell, so are the Packers.

I wasn't one of the guys who said the Broncos are in cap hell.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the Broncos must be stupid for signing so many Free Agents from other teams. That's what we're told.

But you said top 15 players.
What about top 20 or 25 players?

D

Deleted member 6794

But the Broncos must be stupid for signing so many Free Agents from other teams. That's what we're told.

Doean't make a lot of difference. In addition those numbers for the Packers are without Peppers' deal.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

After the top 15 most of the players are at less then $1 million a year. The Packer have 32 players signed after the top 15 for a total of $20.3 million. The Broncos have a total of 12 players signed for a total of $8 million. The Packers are currently carrying a lot of players that will never see the 53, the Bronco's are not. Now, when training camp starts, I am sure the Bronco's will have plenty of camp bodies. Let's re-visit this at the start of the season.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Doean't make a lot of difference. In addition those numbers for the Packers are without Peppers' deal.
Don't think that will change it much. A couple of million more on the Packer's side. Say $88 million instead of $84. Depending on how his contract is set up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't think that will change it much. A couple of million more on the Packer's side. Saw $88 million instead of $84. Depending on how his contract is set up.

I expect Peppers cap hit to be in $10 million range for 2015.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, I'm going to haunt you at the end of the season just like I argued with you at this time last season about "missin" Crosby who in your mind couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I was in favor of giving him another chance and you couldn't believe I could be that dumb. Turns out he had a career year. There might be a chance that Ted Thompson knows some information to which you don't have access. Time will tell if Thompson is right, but so far from my perspective he's rolling the dice better than you are.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, I'm going to haunt you at the end of the season just like I argued with you at this time last season about "missin" Crosby who in your mind couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I was in favor of giving him another chance and you couldn't believe I could be that dumb. Turns out he had a career year. There might be a chance that Ted Thompson knows some information to which you don't have access. Time will tell if Thompson is right, but so far from my perspective he's rolling the dice better than you are.
I agree with Thompson on this one 100%.
I was wrong about Crosby last year...... but did he make any last-second, Adam Vinitieri do-or-die kicks?
Like the ones he's missed at Washington and Minnesota where wins and losses were on his foot?

But yes he kicked great last year and had accepted a paycut. Good move on Thompson's part.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Thompson on this one 100%.
I was wrong about Crosby last year...... but did he make any last-second, Adam Vinitieri do-or-die kicks?
Like the ones he's missed at Washington and Minnesota where wins and losses were on his foot?

But yes he kicked great last year and had accepted a paycut. Good move on Thompson's part.
Thank you for being gracious Frank. To be fair, did Crosby miss any do or die kicks? And this thread started off with you ripping Thompson for not signing free agents like crazy. Great, we both like Peppers but for the most part teams don't let productive players go. Occasionally they become cap casualties and occasionally a change of venue helps them be productive in the latter part of their careers but about half of the big name free agent signings don't work out for their new team. Luckily Peppers wants a ring and oddly enough he thinks the packers have what it takes to get it.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A)......Thank you for being gracious Frank.

B).......but for the most part teams don't let productive players go.

C)......Luckily Peppers wants a ring and oddly enough he thinks the packers have what it takes to get it.
A) Crosby kicked way better than I expected. Still need to see him make the next do-or-die clutch kick.
B) Brees, Peyton Manning, Reggie White, Woodson, Revis, Peppers... sadly James Jones soon, Jennings last year, Tony Gonzalez, Favre, Tomlinson, Sproles, Cutler, Marcus Allen, Deion Sanders, Charles Haley, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice.... plenty of great players change teams.
C) Peppers craves a ring, reminds me of all the guys who came to Green Bay from 1993-1995. Hungry.

Again, it's clear to me drafting is more risky than signing a proven NFL player.
So hard to project a guy who's only played against college kids than it is to project a guy who's already been playing in the NFL.

And Peppers contract is fine, smart here, so I 100% approve Teddy here signing the 34-year old unique special athlete.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
And what makes you so sure? Osweiller. Or whatever his name is can come on and do what folk did in Philly . You can't assume they would suck because Manning went down. He's been learning from Manning two yrs now. We didn't have anyone being groomed by Rodgers when he wny down and had to bring back a guy who had been gone two yrs.
Curtis Painter comes to mind.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Code:
YearTotal Liabilities  Salary Cap  Cap Room
2014   $130,826,902  $142,607,902  $11,781,000
2015    $89,062,292  $140,000,000  $50,937,708
2016    $76,723,328  $150,000,000  $73,276,672
2017   $29,040,000  $160,000,000  $130,960,000

http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Broncos

Little odd to figure the cap for 3 years in the future..

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Little odd to figure the cap for 3 years in the future..
Packers fans keep talking about how Denver has blown their cap for the next few years. I just don't see it. There are some basics there that the cap will go up about $10 mil a year. Since current contract are set, some for three years in advance, all you need is a guess on the overall cap number.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Crosby kicked way better than I expected. Still need to see him make the next do-or-die clutch kick.
B) Brees, Peyton Manning, Reggie White, Woodson, Revis, Peppers... sadly James Jones soon, Jennings last year, Tony Gonzalez, Favre, Tomlinson, Sproles, Cutler, Marcus Allen, Deion Sanders, Charles Haley, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice.... plenty of great players change teams.
C) Peppers craves a ring, reminds me of all the guys who came to Green Bay from 1993-1995. Hungry.

Again, it's clear to me drafting is more risky than signing a proven NFL player.
So hard to project a guy who's only played against college kids than it is to project a guy who's already been playing in the NFL.

And Peppers contract is fine, smart here, so I 100% approve Teddy here signing the 34-year old unique special athlete.

Just as risky with including the cost differences?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Denver may not have blown their cap yet but the fact remains that paying 60M in bonuses is going to have an effect on their ability to re-sign players whose contracts are expiring in the next 2-3 years. The cap rising to projected 145M doesn't change that. It just means that market value of guys contracts expiring is going to go up by default if they are in the top echelon of available free agents at their position. We'll really notice this as Kapernick, Wilson, Luck come due.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is an excellent point a lot of people tend to forget.

Thanks. Both free agents and draft picks don't work out often, but with the new rookie wage scale, draft picks don't cause much financial issues. For example, Sherrod, Perry, and Worthy all make less than 5 million combined and if they don't work out, it's not big deal cap wise. (Not ruling them busts yet).

Now if Denver's three free agents don't work out, that's 60 million guaranteed money gone. Plus, not getting compensatory picks means a team is kinda trading away picks for them.

To me, there's no comparison as to whether free agents or draft picks are more risky.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks. Both free agents and draft picks don't work out often, but with the new rookie wage scale, draft picks don't cause much financial issues. For example, Sherrod, Perry, and Worthy all make less than 5 million combined and if they don't work out, it's not big deal cap wise. (Not ruling them busts yet).

Now if Denver's three free agents don't work out, that's 60 million guaranteed money gone. Plus, not getting compensatory picks means a team is kinda trading away picks for them.

To me, there's no comparison as to whether free agents or draft picks are more risky.

I agree with all of what you posted, that´s another reason why I´m not a big fan of the Peppers signing. Nevertheless I would have liked TT to sign a veteran safety (it´s still possible to get Clemons) as I´m not sure anybody than Clinton-Dix could fill the void immediately. And it´s likely Clinton-Dix won´t be available at #21.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of what you posted, that´s another reason why I´m not a big fan of the Peppers signing. Nevertheless I would have liked TT to sign a veteran safety (it´s still possible to get Clemons) as I´m not sure anybody than Clinton-Dix could fill the void immediately. And it´s likely Clinton-Dix won´t be available at #21.
Do you have any speculation as to why the Packers (or any other team) have not moved on Clemons.

Members online

Latest posts