Looking to the offseaon already..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
porky88 said:
Hawk at SAM would be a huge mistake in my opinion. We'd be wasting a lot of his talent. I'm all for an upgrade over Poppinga but not at the expense of moving Barnett or Hawk right now.

Michael Turner is probably at the top of my wish list in free agency. If we don't go for him which is highly likely then I'm hoping for Jonathan Stewart. I was on the Marshawn Lynch bandwagon last off season and that ended up washing out and I'm already starting the Stewart bandwagon and he hasn't declared for the draft yet.

for clarification, are you saying that it's likely that the Packers do go after Turner, or that they don't go after Turner?

Personally, I don't know if we'll end up signing Turner, but I do feel confident that there will be a big free agent brought in over the offseason.

TT's got his own style. Whether we agree with it or not he's going to do what he believes is best. So far it's working. His style is building through the Draft for the most part. I don't think he'll get into a bidding war for Turner. I could be wrong though because it would make sense for the Pack to go for him and Turner grew up in the mid west so he's familiar sort of familiar with the area. I'm not anticipating Michael Turner in Green and Gold next year.

the letdown is easier if you don't get your hopes up in the first place.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Hawk at SAM would be a huge mistake in my opinion. We'd be wasting a lot of his talent. I'm all for an upgrade over Poppinga but not at the expense of moving Barnett or Hawk right now.

Curious to hear your opinion on that... he plays a decent coverage, strong enough to jam on passin plays and blow up a tight end block on running plays.. and doesn't at this point seem to like playing in space moreso..

Your thoughts...

Hawk can play any LB position in football. From 3-4 to 4-3. So I'm not saying he wouldn't work there. He would.

Strong side linebackers are usually less heralded. Putting Hawk there you'll see a decrease in his numbers. It's the way the position is played. Your responsible for different things for the most part. For him to reach his full potential he's better off at the weak side where he can fly around the field and make big plays.

This is why I think you leave Hawk where he is so he can reach his full potential because a Pro Bowl weak side backer is definitely more sought out then a Pro Bowl strong side backer. If I were GB I'd look for a SLB in rounds 2 or 3 of the Draft or I'd sign one via free agency. I wouldn't move Barnett or Hawk.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
couldnt agree more.....were one strong side lineback away from one of the best linebacking cores in the league..... poppinga is not good, ill say it right now, he prob wouldnt even start on alot of teams..... i would be soooooo happy if we got a stud strongside, and in fact i wouldnt even mind if we used our first round pick to do so

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the foolish media who will soon be like "Will Favre Retire after this year?" and every question posed to favre will be about retirement. And 99% of the people here will be like "give it a rest, jeez, the season isn't even over yet. Talk about now."

I don't get why people want to talk about the offseason NOW. The team is 7-1, we have a rival game, a former player talking trash, a rookie safety about to play, a possible emerging RB.....yet....offseason. Ok.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT... DONT FLIPPIN READ IT.. COOL..

What does talking about sharper accomplish?

What does dissing Harris and Woodson do?

What does being drunk and writing a blog do other than show that you can somewhat write after drinking a few???

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Hawk can play any LB position in football. From 3-4 to 4-3. So I'm not saying he wouldn't work there. He would.

Strong side linebackers are usually less heralded. Putting Hawk there you'll see a decrease in his numbers. It's the way the position is played. Your responsible for different things for the most part. For him to reach his full potential he's better off at the weak side where he can fly around the field and make big plays.

This is why I think you leave Hawk where he is so he can reach his full potential because a Pro Bowl weak side backer is definitely more sought out then a Pro Bowl strong side backer. If I were GB I'd look for a SLB in rounds 2 or 3 of the Draft or I'd sign one via free agency. I wouldn't move Barnett or Hawk.

No doubt that his numbers would decrease, put I didn't think football was all about the numbers, otherwise someone like Pickett won't be playing pro bowl level DT.

My point is he has all the ability to jam the TE and stay with him in pass coverage.. plus stout enough to play the run. Something that we seem to lack consistently at this point.

My point, do what is best for the team not a single player.. just my take though.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
This thread reminds me of the foolish media who will soon be like "Will Favre Retire after this year?" and every question posed to favre will be about retirement. And 99% of the people here will be like "give it a rest, jeez, the season isn't even over yet. Talk about now."

I don't get why people want to talk about the offseason NOW. The team is 7-1, we have a rival game, a former player talking trash, a rookie safety about to play, a possible emerging RB.....yet....offseason. Ok.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT... DONT FLIPPIN READ IT.. COOL..

What does talking about sharper accomplish?

What does dissing Harris and Woodson do?

What does being drunk and writing a blog do other than show the you can somewhat write after drinking a few???

Wow that seemed a bit unnecesary. Since when does "Whatever floats your boat" require a "WHAUIDTAYTDA!!! FAUHFDA!!" response?

I don't see the point of it. Is that ok with you? I don't get it. I don't get a lot of things, like transexuals.

What does talking about sharper\harris\woodson do? Just discussions about CURRENT events, which makes sense to me. But once again, whatever floats your boat.

After this season there will be MONTHS to talk about offseason options. There were be a LOT of time to talk about it. TOO MUCH TIME. The season however is only 16 weeks long+playoffs so excuse me for living in the moment(7-1 moment which we should be enjoying like theres no friggin tomorrow).

And once again, if you don't like my posts, don't read or reply to em. :lol:

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Wow that seemed a bit unnecesary. Since when does "Whatever floats your boat" require a "WHAUIDTAYTDA!!! FAUHFDA!!" response?

I don't see the point of it. Is that ok with you? I don't get it. I don't get a lot of things, like transexuals.

What does talking about sharper\harris\woodson do? Just discussions about CURRENT events, which makes sense to me. But once again, whatever floats your boat.

After this season there will be MONTHS to talk about offseason options. There were be a LOT of time to talk about it. TOO MUCH TIME. The season however is only 16 weeks long+playoffs so excuse me for living in the moment(7-1 moment which we should be enjoying like theres no friggin tomorrow).

Wow..kinda like comparing a post to foolish media?

The beauty of a forum is topics flow and ideas come about.. which in this case open a discussion about the SAM and strengths of players..

We are getting killed by the TE currently.. correct, so why not open some discussion on a topic without starting the threads as a Poppinga question.. because some here see that is bashing.. so an alternate approach was taking.. but apparently it was too much to handle and it didn't fit your agenda.. so several times you had to say it didn't fit in Trom's world.. so be it... didn't say you had to understand it or approve of it.

Additionally it didn't complain or speak negative about any given player it just opens up a different line of thought..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Wow..kinda like comparing a post to foolish media?

Just the part about jumping the gun when there's NFL games being played.

Stop replying to my posts and go on and continue discussing the issue. I'm like the advertising monsters in the Simpsons treehouse of horror episode. If you ignore me and dont pay attention to me, I just kinda go away.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score

Stop replying to my posts and go on and continue discussing the issue. I'm like the advertising monsters in the Simpsons treehouse of horror episode. If you ignore me and dont pay attention to me, I just kinda go away.

There within lies the problem.. you bring alot of good things to the discussions.. so why ignore anyone..

People on here seem to think it is negative to point out a weakness of a player or players.. we get a " I don't get it" type of thread. So it was an attempt to talk about another weakness on the team without blantantly comming out an saying Poppinga isn't getting it done. A passive approach moreso.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

There within lies the problem.. you bring alot of good things to the discussions.. so why ignore anyone..

People on here seem to think it is negative to point out a weakness of a player or players.. we get a " I don't get it" type of thread. So it was an attempt to talk about another weakness on the team without blantantly comming out an saying Poppinga isn't getting it done. A passive approach moreso.

Because these 'weakness' threads are always one post away from becoming "Ted Thompson dropped the ball, he should be fired" and another TT\GB\Favre war starting.

Leave that for the offseason.

That's my take on it. Go on with the chlorophyll.

Reaction score
Getting back on topic:

I'd love for TT to bring a G to anchor this o-line. Coston, Spitz, or dare I say Colledge may become that G, but as of right now it doesn't too likely that'll happen.

Also I expect Ted to get a TE because it is highly unlikely we keep Bubba with his 4.5 million cap number. I wouldn't mind Bubba being resigned to a more cap friendly deal, and I think Bubba is the type of person who wouldn't let his pride get in the way of doing something smart... he's staying on a up and coming team that he can contribute something to (not necessarily as a starter) instead of going to a team where he has to learn a new scheme, and probably will be a blocking TE more so than a receiving one.

I have to think we go after a CB, most probably through the draft. Everyone and their mom know our CBs aren't spring chickens, and while Bush may have potential I think Blackmon's injury history requires having another back-up plan at the position.

As for RB, I'm starting to think more and more that an above average RB could make our run game average behind this line. While I am unsure if Turner can be an above average RB when starter, I think it wouldn't hurt to go after him and sign him if you can keep his contract reasonable. Either way I expect Ted to address the position in some fashion, whether it means bringing in a draft pick he really likes to contribute right away and sure up the position, or go to Free Agency and get someone there.

I think Popp's spot will be safe. I actually think that he'll be in line for a breakout year next year, but that is just a hunch that is backed up by.... nothing. I wouldn't mind some more depth at LB though.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Because these 'weakness' threads are always one post away from becoming "Ted Thompson dropped the ball, he should be fired" and another TT\GB\Favre war starting.

Leave that for the offseason.

That's my take on it. Go on with the chlorophyll.

I guess that we should just go about with the blinders on, because someone might bring up the T word..

PS.. what does the pigment in plants have to do with anything?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, because me criticizing Harris\Woodson was the blinders. I sure received no backlash for my thoughts on that...

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Getting back on topic:

Amen

I'd love for TT to bring a G to anchor this o-line. Coston, Spitz, or dare I say Colledge may become that G, but as of right now it doesn't too likely that'll happen.

Can we bank on that like we did this year? Have they grown form last year to this year? Don't think it is a bad idea to shore it up.

Also I expect Ted to get a TE because it is highly unlikely we keep Bubba with his 4.5 million cap number. I wouldn't mind Bubba being resigned to a more cap friendly deal, and I think Bubba is the type of person who wouldn't let his pride get in the way of doing something smart... he's staying on a up and coming team that he can contribute something to (not necessarily as a starter) instead of going to a team where he has to learn a new scheme, and probably will be a blocking TE more so than a receiving one.

Is his number really 4.5 next year? I thought the contract was more frontloaded than that.. if that is the number I agree is probably is toast if we can find more depth.

I have to think we go after a CB, most probably through the draft. Everyone and their mom know our CBs aren't spring chickens, and while Bush may have potential I think Blackmon's injury history requires having another back-up plan at the position.

Don't discount Frank Walker in this mix... and the youngster Tramon Williams as well.

As for RB, I'm starting to think more and more that an above average RB could make our run game average behind this line. While I am unsure if Turner can be an above average RB when starter, I think it wouldn't hurt to go after him and sign him if you can keep his contract reasonable. Either way I expect Ted to address the position in some fashion, whether it means bringing in a draft pick he really likes to contribute right away and sure up the position, or go to Free Agency and get someone there.

With the cap space that teams have.. Turner is going to command a ton of money.. to rich for an unproven everydown back. IMO.

I think Popp's spot will be safe. I actually think that he'll be in line for a breakout year next year, but that is just a hunch that is backed up by.... nothing. I wouldn't mind some more depth at LB though.

Wasn't that what was suppose to happen this year with his stuggles last year? We are in the same boat again this year.. TE's racking good numbers and more importantly moving the chains.. Maybe he will break out next year.. or maybe he won't.. but right now we don't seem to have an alternative on the roster without moving somebody around. We have a possible player at MLB for depth.. Poppinga or another viable option on the outside would help. IMO.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
What does being drunk and writing a blog do other than show that you can somewhat write after drinking a few???

I apologize for the "cheapshot"... all good.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back on topic:

I'm starting to think our RB problem isn't a problem, so I agree with you going after a G, but I also think we need to go after a T as well. Cliffy is still good, don't get me wrong, but for how long? 2 years? 3 years?

And yes, a solid CB would be nice. I respectfully disagree with Trom and think our starting 2 CBs are still good, but after that, it tails off big time.

And a 3rd TE would help out too. We'll keep Franks without having to rework his contract. The guy gets TDs. He should really have one more but the ref had his head up his you know what. Donald Lee is solid too, but I just don't like having 2 TEs. We should have 3, especially since we'll be going into next year with only 2 QBs (as it should be).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

No doubt that his numbers would decrease, put I didn't think football was all about the numbers, otherwise someone like Pickett won't be playing pro bowl level DT.

My point is he has all the ability to jam the TE and stay with him in pass coverage.. plus stout enough to play the run. Something that we seem to lack consistently at this point.

My point, do what is best for the team not a single player.. just my take though.

I think Hawk reaching his full potential is what's best for the team. He could not do that on the strong side. If he reaches his full potential, your talking about a guy on the same level as Brian Urlacher in my opinion.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopinmg the int last week was a sign of some big plays to come. He has palyed well this year but has been silent and somewhat unnoticable. I think when he gets it going he'll be making the game changing plays that the Lewis's and Urlacher's do

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good comment on Hawk/Urlacher, Porky. Yet I think back over so many games this year when the only real thorn in our sides was the TE. We still won of course, but the lack of "convincing" wins can be tied in with our inability to handle TEs. IMO, Hawk needn't become Urlacher in order to earn his money or draft status. No, he "only" must dominate the one position where he has the most impact for us. He mightn't earn the kudos of the great unwashed among us, but never fear....his peers will know and acknowledge his abilities. He'll make pro-bowls, if it's all that important. Now, as far as discussing next year,....I don't mind at all because it's always next year when I can see the Packers vieing for the SB with players I can hope we sign on whether through the draft or FA. I've been a Packer fan for 62 yrs. now so I've done a lot of looking ahead and dreaming. You'd be amazed at how many SB's we've won in that time. Not all have been officially recognized by the league, however.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
u have to remeber aj hawk has played 24 nfl games....... hes still has a lot of games left to play, hes young and an up and coming star in this league

Members online

Latest posts