Looking Back This Off Season-Jones or Jekins

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you still re-sign James Jones over Cullen Jenkins?

IMO, James Jones is a good player but I would of rather kept Jenkins to help on d-line. We're missing him more then we realize.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a quite brutal season for the d-line. And with the plethora of talent in he WR corps i would say keeping jenkins would have been a better idea to me. BJ Raji has done ZERO in terms of pass rush this year, because much like clay he is the only one worth a **** on that line and all the attention is paid to him. All I know is if this team is to step into being a respectable defense again they will need to either draft or sign another elite type pass rusher whether we replace the worst OLB in the league in walden, or get someone who can stay healthy and do something other than eat blocks on the dline.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a good question. With Jones coming on now, and our defensive line struggling to get push without Jenkins in the mix. I really hope Neal is not another Harrell, and I am looking forward to seeing what Neal can do healthy. That being said, the offense is explosive due to all the weapons there, and James Jones is one of them. In this case, Ted decided to keep Jones to bolster the offense, and the defensive line suffered due to having to let Jenkins go. You reap what you sow.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh heck, we will draft some help next year. This year as I have said in at least a dozen times to all of the doubters, - we will just continue to outscore all of our opponents. Would it be any fun at all if we dominated in all phases of the game?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I scratched my head over the signing of Jones when it happened. I'm the eternal skeptic on Jenkins staying healthy until I see him actually do it. But that being said, Jenkins for only 8 games would have been better than what we've ended up with, since Neal is a slow healer.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jenkins by far. Love me some James Jones, but damn a pass rush is just so badly needed right now it's not even funny.

CheeseGlove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much influence did Rodgers have on the re-signing of Jones over Jenkins? If I remember correctly, Aaron thought bringing him back was priority #1 in off-season.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to look back and see how Thompson screwed up by not keeping Jenkins. I mean, of course Neal was gonna get hurt and miss half the season (and counting...), right?!?! It was a value thing. We weren't gonna keep Jones, but we got him super freakin' cheap. Re-sign Jones over Jenkins? That's hardly how it went down. This either/or absolutely does not work.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you are twisting or simplicating this. Both became free agents. Jenkins got a deal done alot sooner than Jones did, who sat on the market for awhile with little interest. TT was ready to move on from Jones but when jones was still available he pulled the trigger.If Jenkins had the same situation as Jones, I have little doubt he would have been back in GB.

Barnett (like Bogart brought up) was a better example. The title should be AJ Hawk or Nick Barnett? Looking back.

TT had no chance of knowing Neal would be injured this season.

TT isnt perfect, but I trust fully trust him with something that I value only slightly less than my family. The only reason I would want him removed is if he consistently made bad decisions or Vince Lombardi walked through the door and told him to get out of his seat.

Reaction score
I think we made the right decision. Jones will most likely be a Packer in his prime for many years while Jenkins only has a couple more seasons in him. What is skewing everyones perspective is that nobody took into account as to whether or not Mike Neal is a good player or not. When we see him come back, that could be the spark to help us down the road.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't really miss Jenkins as much as I do Barnett.

Look at them both, and I'd take Barnett any day of the week.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jenkins deal with Philly was something the Pack could afford. Was a 5 year deal but after a year Philly can cut him..1st year was at 4 mill

We could have done it!! And he played so well with that club, I think it was a mistake to let him go..Dont care about Neal either..Jenkins was proven, Neal wasnt.

I dont complain to much about their moves and say they know what they are doing..But Jenkins I just felt his loss would be something we would miss

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here. He has always been one of my favorites. (LTF might even remember my old Jenkins sig, that I kept for years. [Thanks, Pack93z!]) Even through all the frustrating injuries. But to say Thompson decided to sign Jones instead of Jenkins is just not accurate.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys with injury problems always make me nervous when you put your stock in them. Neal has been hit with injuries since he was in college. Um, reminds me of someone else. I think guys like him have to show some durability before you roll the dice with them.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It figures. After I finally agree that Jenkins would be an improvement over what we have...he has a forgettable night against the Bears. 2 Tackles ...really?

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
It wasn't that we signed Jones over Jenkins. Jenkins is obviously more missed, but we just couldn't give him what he wanted when he only played half of the games. Plain and simple.