Lombardi story fueled passion for the Packers

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
“Are you from Green Bay?” Nope, I always answer.

“Wisconsin then, right?” Nah.

“Mom or Dad from Wisconsin or go to school there?” Nope and nope.

“Must have started following them when Wolf, Holmgren, Favre and Reggie came then, right?”

Nah, I always tell them, I was following the Pack well before that.

“Then how the heck does a kid born and bread in Manhattan become a die hard Green Bay Packers fan?”

The only answer I have, and one that many young boys always answer for various different questions, “because of my mom.”

My mom was a big Vince Lombardi fan and when I was six years old she read me a bedtime story of the 1967 World Champion Green Bay Packers. She loved Lombardi’s toughness, his east coast roots (she was from Newark, NJ) and his phenomenal success. As we all know, this was a man who went where no one wanted to go and turned a perennial loser into a historic winner.

In the ‘80s I would watch Jets and Giants games just to get the updates on the Packers scores. This was pre-internet, NFL Package, etc. and the only way I could get Packers scores was to watch the local teams and hope for a score in the Packers game. This concept is probably impossible for anyone born after 1990 to possibly comprehend!

Source: JSOnline.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts