lockout/decertfication

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All signs are pointing to the beginning of July which is awesome. I know everything will work out because in the end, its all about the FANS!!! With out the fans they would be out of business. :yes2:
Unless if by fans you mean the green paper that you can exchange for objects and services, it's not about the fans. Not even close.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless if by fans you mean the green paper that you can exchange for objects and services, it's not about the fans. Not even close.

Fans have the green and all the NFL wants is that green! They might have a deal here soon to get it too! I am OK with giving them my green as long as we get good games!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFLPA* Lawyers are trying to blow up the negotiations, thereby delaying the possibility of football this season AND creating the possibility of future problems with the game we all know and love:

Freeman calls for De Smith to dump his lawyers | ProFootballTalk

To be honest, I am getting tired of all these articles and speculations :angry2:
And I do not care about players or owners positions and views - I want them to complete a new CBA Deal , that's all. It's time to do it, now!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I am getting tired of all these articles and speculations :angry2:
And I do not care about players or owners positions and views - I want them to complete a new CBA Deal , that's all. It's time to do it, now!

I get what you're saying, but the thing is they need to do it right so we avoid this issue in the future. The next deal needs to be good for 10 years or longer.

If the players push the full anti-trust suit, it could absolutely destroy small town teams, and turn the NFL into a MLB or European Soccer League type structure where the majority of the teams serve as a farm league for the 4 or 6 teams with the money to buy championships every season. If the NFL goes that route, I for one will probably stop watching. Part of the beauty and excitement with the game is that in any given year, any team can go from worst to first and win the Super Bowl. You can't say that with Baseball, Basketball or Soccer. It would absolutely suck if it happened with Football.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but the thing is they need to do it right so we avoid this issue in the future. The next deal needs to be good for 10 years or longer.

If the players push the full anti-trust suit, it could absolutely destroy small town teams, and turn the NFL into a MLB or European Soccer League type structure where the majority of the teams serve as a farm league for the 4 or 6 teams with the money to buy championships every season. If the NFL goes that route, I for one will probably stop watching. Part of the beauty and excitement with the game is that in any given year, any team can go from worst to first and win the Super Bowl. You can't say that with Baseball, Basketball or Soccer. It would absolutely suck if it happened with Football.

And that's the reason why they should complete an new CBA deal soon, both sides know what they get.
If the court decides it could change the situation dramatically.
Player contracts would be negotiated individually, there would be a salary increase for Top Players, no drafting system as known today anymore, no pensions for retired players etc, etc.
I only disagree with your point of view on European Soccer Leagues, especially the German Bundesliga.
There is no other League in Europa that is "healthier" than the German Bundesliga.
Why ?
Investors are not allowed to take over the majority of a team/club, new stadiums, reasonable ticket prices and four different Bundesliga champions since 2006.
If you are talking about England, Spain or Italy and their (more or less) insolvent leagues you are right.
We will see but I still hope that we will have positive signals at the end of the week ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It looks like they could get a deal done in the next couple of weeks. Heard today only the lawyers are meeting today and tomorrow to hash out the language of the deal so if they agree on the numbers, the legal language will be ready to go. Sounds like the players will agree to about 48% of the shared revenues (down from about 53%) and as the money increases over time take even a smaller percentage, as low as 46%.

One thing they are apparently considering is expanding the Thursday night games and selling them to the networks. That would generate more money than the advertising revenue they get from NFL network. I think it's a great idea - the teams, players AND FANS would win with this change IMO. Then, if the league is smart, they'll accept being on the sports tier of the major cable networks they aren't currently on and that too, will boost revenue.

Of course the deal isn't done until all the details are worked out, but it looks like both sides are acting as if their backs are against the wall - and they are.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
So they said yesterday that the main sticking point is the rookie salary cap. Let me get this straight; The players union wants a kid who hasn't played a single down of professional football to be guaranteed 50 MILLION dollars instead of the 20 MILLION dollars the owners are proposing? What planet do these people live on? If I was offered 20 Million I wouldn't know what to do with all of it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they said yesterday that the main sticking point is the rookie salary cap. Let me get this straight; The players union wants a kid who hasn't played a single down of professional football to be guaranteed 50 MILLION dollars instead of the 20 MILLION dollars the owners are proposing? What planet do these people live on? If I was offered 20 Million I wouldn't know what to do with all of it.
Every time a 1st overall pick signs a contract, all the stars in the league at that position can use those numbers as a starting point for their contract negotiations. This is of value only to a few dozen players and if it was ever put to a vote, the vast majority of players would not see this as important.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wonder if your getting all that from a pro owner site or something because that's nothing close to what the sticking issue is as far as the rookie wage scale.

The issue is the length of rookie contracts. Players don't want them to be 5 years. They feel the players will be playing their best years for peanuts. 5 years in the NFL does seem like a long contract for most players.

I think I'm one of the few fans that is happy with the rookie contracts the way they are. It should be an inncentive to not be a bad organization. A top 5 pick is a gift and a curse. Plus teams should do their research on players before drafting them. I feel like a simple conversation with Ryan Leaf would have saved the Chargers alot of headaches.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There needs to be a rookie wage scale to be sure. Being forced to shell out obscene amounts of money to players who have never taken a snap at the NFL level in their lives is just ridiculous, and could hold teams that have an off year or two back for a lot longer by tying up money for rookies that should be used to re-sign their key veterans.

As for length, I think it should be 4 years at a rookie contract. That's when players become restricted free agents anyway, so keep it simple and give the players time to earn it on their second contract.

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There needs to be a rookie wage scale to be sure. Being forced to shell out obscene amounts of money to players who have never taken a snap at the NFL level in their lives is just ridiculous, and could hold teams that have an off year or two back for a lot longer by tying up money for rookies that should be used to re-sign their key veterans.

As for length, I think it should be 4 years at a rookie contract. That's when players become restricted free agents anyway, so keep it simple and give the players time to earn it on their second contract.

i understand that, look at what happen with Oakland and JaMarcus Russell

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The numbers have been updated; according to this article;
"The rookie wage scale is the only part I'm worried about," one source involved in the talks said this weekend. "They've finished the other important parts. The only issue left that can cause a problem is the rookie wage scale."
Under the NFL's proposal, the top pick's contract value would go from $78 million over six years to $34 million over five years with the ability to renegotiate after three years.
Owner and management sources maintain that the rookie wage system the players have proposed does not represent the anticipated dramatic reduction in salaries -- most notably for the top eight players chosen in the draft -- which would result in redistributed money to veteran players and retirees.
Player sources countered by saying their proposed system provides considerable reduction to the 2010 rookie salaries and that the dispute is based on owners desire to not only cut salaries drastically but control players for five years, morphing into "a dramatic veteran wage scale, not a rookie scale."

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am definitely for a rookie wage scale. Works well in the NHL and I don't see why it wouldn't work in the NFL. You should get paid by what you do on an NFL field, not a college one.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting there is an agreement in place for the rookie wage scale, the last huge stumbling block. Hopefully there is a CBA signed within the week.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo, I read it on ESPN.

while I wouldnt be surprised for espn to have something so wrong I would like to see where it says the players union was fighting for $60 million dollar rookie contracts. Its actually been something both sides have publicly agreed on for the most part, with the exception of like I said before, the number of years. The owners tried for 5 and went back to 4, which seems reasonable.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A hand sake is good enough for me, temper all you wish. There will be football played this upcoming season.