lockout/decertfication

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are just pissed off and blowing off steam. People can talk a good game but I honestly think very few of them will carry out their threat to quit football. Or at least not enough of them to be effective. A boycott is successful when you get such a vast majority of people involved that it causes such a disruption that whoever or whatever is being boycotted cannot help but to be effected by it and effected in such a manor as to cause them drastic loss in profits and revenue. Thus, forcing a change in how they conduct their business. The problem is, I honestly don't see them getting the number of people involved for it to make a difference. I do think a miniscule amount of people will quit watching, but I also think a very large percentile of those individuals will be back once the season resumes and we get deeper into it.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's only anecdotal, but a number of "folks on the street" have already told me they're fed up and have lost a lot of interest in football. People by nature don't like millionaires squabbling over money.
But again thats just now in the off season while they are bickering. Once it starts up again without any games missed I would say a good 85% or more of those people will be back. Plus probably a larger group than normal of gaining because of all the hooplah thats gone on this off season.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It did take the NHL and NBL some time to recover from theirs, respectively. But those lockouts lasted a LONG time. I don't expect the NFL lockout to last nearly as long, or at least I hope so!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It did take the NHL and NBL some time to recover from theirs, respectively. But those lockouts lasted a LONG time. I don't expect the NFL lockout to last nearly as long, or at least I hope so!
Not only that, but the NFL is much more popular than both those sports combined!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me either, but we have to remember not everybody breathes NFL like we do. Around this neck of the woods MLB is very big and could easily displace the NFL in October.

Until people remember how much baseball just sucks. Then they'll be back.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is possible the NFL will take a hit for a season if games are missed, but the thing to remember is it really is the single biggest thing going. More people watched the Packers beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl than any other program in history, and something like the top 5 ratings winners all of last year were NFL games. Meaningless football games repeatedly draw more ratings than baseball world series or basketball championship games. So while football might take a ratings hit *this* year in particular if games are missed, you can almost be assure it will be right back on top where it belongs next season. It's too great a sport not to.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I agree that the team itself will endure the lockout. Unfortunately, a lock-out would have the biggest negative influence on the Green Bay economic situation. Smallest community with a professional football team. Green Bay relies greatly on the football season.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The whole thing is just sick. I read one veteran player complaining that he might have to do some teaching to "make ends meet". Heck I could make ends meet for many years on a fraction of an NFL veteran's salary. Instead of 395,000 a year, how about if they tried living on 39,000 a year? These guys are so out of touch it isn't funny.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole thing is just sick. I read one veteran player complaining that he might have to do some teaching to "make ends meet". Heck I could make ends meet for many years on a fraction of an NFL veteran's salary. Instead of 395,000 a year, how about if they tried living on 39,000 a year? These guys are so out of touch it isn't funny.
Okay, but they have a certain life standard achieved by their salary.
It's one thing to live for 40,000 a year.

It's a completely different thing to live for 400,000 a year and shift back to 40,000 a year. The bills don't reduce, you'll have to make a complete life change to adapt. It's not easy, specially if it's only temporary.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as someone involved with several businesses in the area I am very worried about the impact this will have. just missing training camp and family night will impact the bottom line.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Okay, but they have a certain life standard achieved by their salary.
It's one thing to live for 40,000 a year.

It's a completely different thing to live for 400,000 a year and shift back to 40,000 a year. The bills don't reduce, you'll have to make a complete life change to adapt. It's not easy, specially if it's only temporary.

And the pittance a Teacher makes would keep them from changing? I can see the premise that they are used to a certain lifestyle. I don't buy this player's whining.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the pittance a Teacher makes would keep them from changing? I can see the premise that they are used to a certain lifestyle. I don't buy this player's whining.
I've gone through adaptation, from earning fairly well to, well, not earning much, and had to sell house and car...

I had lived in a shared apartment with 2 rooms and not much, but going back from having something to having to sell my stuff to reduce what I spent was really, really though.

I was forced to, had no other way around, but if I was in the players' position, where it's only temporary, but it might force me to sell the house where my children grew up and sell my favorite car, I don't know if I would be able to do it.

And I certainly sympathize with them. They're not complaining about nothing. Though they did have time to prepare for this situation, which makes things different.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And I certainly sympathize with them. They're not complaining about nothing. Though they did have time to prepare for this situation, which makes things different.

Remarkably I went through a similar situation. From living "comfortably" to living at about half of what I was accustomed. Had to move away from the house in which the kids were reared. One son decided to move to the college he attends and live there year round rather than move with us, etc. But good financial planning when one is living comfortably prepares one for such things.

As I understand it, the Packers have a former player on staff whose job it is to counsel the current players on managing their finances.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remarkably I went through a similar situation. From living "comfortably" to living at about half of what I was accustomed. Had to move away from the house in which the kids were reared. One son decided to move to the college he attends and live there year round rather than move with us, etc. But good financial planning when one is living comfortably prepares one for such things.

As I understand it, the Packers have a former player on staff whose job it is to counsel the current players on managing their finances.

Yes, the key is planning.

So I sympathize. That doesn't mean I agree with their complain.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone think the Lockout hurts the Pack more than anyone else? Kills the momentum...

Nope. If anything it helps, since most teams don't have a full, complete team and we do, especially when you consider the talent we're getting back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning Goodell, owners Kraft, Jones and Richardson held a "secret" meeting and that union head Smith was there as well. Hope it's true, crossing my fingers…

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thanks, I checked the News Forum and didn't see anything.

No lawyers and owners meeting with union reps and players is a very positive sign IMO. Tomorrow we should hear the ruling on the NFL's appeal. Here's what Brandt had to say about it in a recent jsonline story:

"If the NFL loses the appeal, then they're paying players, business is open, they're under temporary rules and they need to forge a new deal," said Brandt. "If the players lose the appeal, they're locked out indefinitely and missing paychecks and they'll need to make a deal.

"If the Eighth Circuit upholds the lockout on appeal - which I expect them to do - the NFLPA has to look in the distance and see a future of an indefinite lockout," Brandt said. "I would hope their strategy would turn to deal-making instead of litigating.

"And I would further hope that the NFL would not use that leverage in an unreasonable way.

"There is a deal to be made here; one that will not look much different than what was being discussed on March 11 when negotiation turned to litigation."

Let's hope both sides get their heads out of their @sses and get a deal done. I think the NFL winning the appeal will be good for the process - the owners won't settle unless they get a bigger piece of the pie. But as Brandt says, that'll be true only if the NFL isn't unreasonable.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL winning the appeal is absolutely good for the game, for the simple reason that the players are only concerned with the here and now, while the owners are concerned with the immediate, near and distant future.

The players have acted in bad faith all along, by choosing to litigate rather than negotiate from day one. To date they have yet to issue a counter proposal, while the NFL has made at least two. I'm convinced that had the players opted to negotiate first, and then litigate if they had to, a deal would be done by now.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard on the radio this afternoon that the players and owners are making progress in their not-so-secret meetings. The report said they’ve agreed on about 80%-85% of the new CBA. Schefter is reporting that the league sent a memo to teams last night telling them to be prepared to stay overnight during next Tuesday’s NFL meetings in Chicago. The hope is the owners will have a CBA to vote on by then. Not done of course, but promising…

Members online

Latest posts