lockout/decertfication

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
So, let me try to understand this:

The NFLPA, which doesn't exist anymore, is calling collegiate players, who never were part of the NFLPA when it existed, to tell them what not to do. Then, this same NFLPA, which doesn't exist anymore, is trying to convince a judge that they don't exist anymore.

IMO, and to paraphrase Descartes, "They still act like they exist, therefore they exist."

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Us fans, regardless of which side you are on, hate this.

I, totally blame the NFLPA for the situation we are in now.

They are the ones that IMHO have refused to negotiate based on their belief that they are, some how, entitled to see the owners books. I don't give a rats *** if it's 5yrs or 10yrs. They have NO business seeing their Employers books...period!

A simple fact here, is the NFL can exist without the current players...they did it in the strike year...BUT the players cannot exist without the owners...big difference.

Also, it's been stated here earlier, about the owners getting concessions from cities to build, & improve stadiums. This isn't just a gift from the cities, they make those concessions based on future tax revenues, so that is advantageous to both parties.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is correct, though if the judge rules the decertification is valid, we'll still have football next season, and conceivably every season thereafter while the case is settled in the court room.

However, if the judge rules the decertification is a sham (And let's be honest, it is,) then there will be a lockout for up to 6 months or until they agree to what they want, whichever comes sooner.

After 6 months, the union can decertify again and life goes on, unless a ruling is made absolutely prohibiting decertification this time around. By that time it could be too late to salvage the season though, so who knows..
So what really is the issue here, how many of the players will really go for a class action lawsuit. What I want to know is who is really behind all the demands in the Former NFLPA. I really dont see the whole league having an issue with what is being offered. Would be nice to see 90% of the players say screw it and sign contracts with teams and go about playing football next year and forgetting this whole fiasco.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also agree w/ what someone stated before that D.Smith is trying to get notariety by "blowing this up" and not accepting offers by the Owners...He absolutely has his own agenda and I think the NFLPA is regretting their decision in selecting D.SMITH

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are everyones thoughts on the NFLPA not wanting draft guys to attend the ceremony?

I think they sound like self-centered jerks. The same group that's putting a cap on their salary (Which I'm in favor of BTW), is asking them to skip the biggest day of their lives to date. Kind of hypocritical and selfish.

Either way, players, no players, I'll still watch the first couple rounds of the draft.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Seriously!? Many individuals could do what the owners do? What multi-million dollar a year corporation with all the complexities associated with the NFL have you ever run? If it were that easy MANY individuals would be doing it. Many may be able to do it, but clearly not at the level these owners do AND exactly the same can be said of the players: many can do what they do. Perhaps not at the level of these players, but many can do it. The truth is you or anyone else can do what the players do. Again, certainly not at the same level, but you could do it. Not more than a handful in these forums could do what the owners do (if that many).
Don't get me wrong, I think both sides are greedy. I think both sides are wrong. I think it is the fans alone who are the real losers. Perhaps the NFL should go back to what it once was: men playing the game for the sheer love of the game; not as paid mercenaries going to whatever team is willing to pay them the most money. Unfortunately there is not, and likely never will be, pure sport anymore.

Good point. People like to be "armchair" CEOs but few really understand what it takes to be a really good CEO. Before I retired, the position I held was similar to the CEO (on a smaller scale). I used to get so frustrated with people who thought they could do the job with no experience, no training, and little innate understanding.

It's like some football fans sitting in their recliner with a brew on Sunday talking about how they could be a better linebacker than A.J. Hawk. "He should have done this...He should have done that." I think most of those fans would be lost in an actual NFL program. I'm reminded of the book "Paper Lion" from years ago. An arrogant reporter learned there is more to it than "playing a game."

So it is with directing a corporation. It's almost a 24/7 commitment that consumes any real life you might have. You become the Corporation. You breathe it, eat it, sleep it, have nightmares about it. When it hurts, you hurt, when it is doing well you do well. Your family life is constantly disrupted with "business calls" and urgent meetings. You end up sometimes even sleeping at the office.

Granted, there are some CEOs who gain what they have by inheritance or dishonesty. I'll not defend those folks. However, many CEOs get there by being smarter, working harder or being more enterprenurial than the average person.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted, there are some CEOs who gain what they have by inheritance or dishonesty. I'll not defend those folks. However, many CEOs get there by being smarter, working harder or being more enterprenurial than the average person.

Yup. I love the line, "They inherited their wealth, they don't deserve it!" My response is, if by inherited it you mean they put in 10+ years of hard work, made more sacrifices and took more risks in their lives than most people would ever consider, innovated and over came obstacles, letting nothing stand in their way, then you're right. Their plush job at the top of the corporate ladder was inherited.

Yes, some people do inherit wealth, but it's not for me or you or anyone else to decide whether they deserve it or not. And these people don't come close to making up even a remote percentage of today's successful individual.

Want to know what it takes to be a successful individual? It's easy- Pick up a couple of books on the subject. "Think and Grow Rich" is a timeless read. It's all about persistence. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad," is another great one, and it's super easy to comprehend. Also add "The Millionaire Mind" to the list. It's key lessons about how rich people think differently about money than poor people, and how they're willing to work harder to get it are crucial to understanding just what it is that these people at the top of the food chain in life had to endure in order to get to the top of the food chain.

Anything worth having is worth working for. Especially success.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or just be blessed by birth with athletic skills and make more than most of the corporate scumbags.

I don't even believe that's the case. I think the players with athletic from birth are few and far between. Most players have to put in lots of hard work and preparation, and the very best work harder than the rest. Just look at Rodgers and Matthews for example. I'm sure most players fit into their category.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even believe that's the case. I think the players with athletic from birth are few and far between. Most players have to put in lots of hard work and preparation, and the very best work harder than the rest. Just look at Rodgers and Matthews for example. I'm sure most players fit into their category.
Well, the both you mentioned are incredibly blessed with athleticism. Matthews is a freak of nature, the most athletic OLB in the league after DeMarcus Ware.

And Rodgers is the only QB in the league right now with elite mobility, arm strenght and accuracy.

I know, both are amongst the hardest workers in the league, specially Rodgers. But they're incredibly gifted.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the both you mentioned are incredibly blessed with athleticism. Matthews is a freak of nature, the most athletic OLB in the league after DeMarcus Ware.

And Rodgers is the only QB in the league right now with elite mobility, arm strenght and accuracy.

I know, both are amongst the hardest workers in the league, specially Rodgers. But they're incredibly gifted.

Sure, but my point is they weren't always that way. Matthews, for example, had to work harder in the gym and in practice when he was in college just to see any playing time. When other players in college were out partying, he was in the gym or running drills on the field. Same for Rodgers.

Yes, they're both gifted NOW, but it's only because they put in the hard work before, and still continue to do so.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I noticed in recent news how the players (Drew Brees) and others acknowledged the popularity of the NFL. They seem to arrogantly bank on fan loyalty. What he and the owners don't realize is that they have already irreparably set NFL popularity back a few years. The longer this drags on, the more fans become disenchanted. They seem to think they'll still be the most popular sport in America. The problem is, Americans can be fickle. If an agreement isn't reached soon, expect to see a lot of people take interest once again in other sports. The Pro-Bowl won't receive more viewers than game 6 of the world series again. The owners and players are frittering away a vast market lead by squabbling over billions.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree about the popularity of the NFL waning. I think it will lose popularity only if games are missed. Otherwise this is still the off-season where most people tune into other things besides football.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I disagree about the popularity of the NFL waning. I think it will lose popularity only if games are missed. Otherwise this is still the off-season where most people tune into other things besides football.

I know it's only anecdotal, but a number of "folks on the street" have already told me they're fed up and have lost a lot of interest in football. People by nature don't like millionaires squabbling over money.

OP
OP
neilfii

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I know it's only anecdotal, but a number of "folks on the street" have already told me they're fed up and have lost a lot of interest in football. People by nature don't like millionaires squabbling over money.

Yeah, and those are the same people who have quit smoking... over and over and over. It's one thing to say you have lost interest now, but wait until its time for the season to start -- the bug will bite them just as hard as it ever has.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Then there is this boycott stuff going on.

I work as a real estate appraiser and see people losing their jobs, houses or making really stupid investments every day. Quite depressing. While I agree with the boycott concept, as I consider myself a bitter, middle class citizen, I think there is a need for the outlet of pleasure I get from football season.
Example: I'm supposed to be typing a report right now for some poor people who are getting sucked into a bad investment. Because of the current economic situation, my job depresses me so I spend an extended amount of time on this forum. Talking smack (about the Bears & Vikings in particular) & reliving our victories gets me through the days. My refusing to buy another packer t-shirt or pair of cheesehead earrings might put a (ever so small) dent into their profits but it could alternatively make me a happy packer fan for a day.
I don't really support either side on this miserable lock-out because they all have more $ than me. All I know is, I'm not ready to give up one of the brightest spots in my everyday life. GO PACKERS!!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I work as a real estate appraiser and see people losing their jobs, houses or making really stupid investments every day. Quite depressing. While I agree with the boycott concept, as I consider myself a bitter, middle class citizen, I think there is a need for the outlet of pleasure I get from football season.
Example: I'm supposed to be typing a report right now for some poor people who are getting sucked into a bad investment. Because of the current economic situation, my job depresses me so I spend an extended amount of time on this forum. Talking smack (about the Bears & Vikings in particular) & reliving our victories gets me through the days. My refusing to buy another packer t-shirt or pair of cheesehead earrings might put a (ever so small) dent into their profits but it could alternatively make me a happy packer fan for a day.
I don't really support either side on this miserable lock-out because they all have more $ than me. All I know is, I'm not ready to give up one of the brightest spots in my everyday life. GO PACKERS!!!

Me either, but we have to remember not everybody breathes NFL like we do. Around this neck of the woods MLB is very big and could easily displace the NFL in October.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Me either, but we have to remember not everybody breathes NFL like we do. Around this neck of the woods MLB is very big and could easily displace the NFL in October.

Seriously? JK From what I hear & see in other parts of the country, it really is a whole different world in Green Bay/Wisconsin. :)
If that's the case re: MLB, then I hope they get this damn thing settled soon so I don't lose my outlet.

Members online

Latest posts