lockout/decertfication

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good ol' days are long gone behind us.
There will never be any more "good ol' days."
Why?
Because back in the good ol' days, when football was still a new concept, it didn't get to be an all complicated BUSINESS like this. The men wanted to play football, so they played football. I dunno who is to blame for all this bull crap, but I don't like it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Roger Goodell email

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had hoped for a resolution, it appears it's going to be harder than I thought. A lockout could come as early as a few hours. For the sake of this beloved game, may they reach some agreement that all can live with.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Can anyone with more knowledge on the situation (PackersRS?) explain to me how the players and the union have any sort of antitrust case against the NFL? It's not a monopoly, nor does it practice in a monopolistic manner. Isn't it technically non-profit too?

Tecmo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith, and the greedy owners for running the most popular sport in America into the ground. Absolutely disgusting.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I seen Drew Brees say is that all the players wanted is for the owners to show what they make and that was it

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Congratulations to Roger Goodell, DeMaurice Smith, and the greedy owners for running the most popular sport in America into the ground. Absolutely disgusting.

So you don't think greedy PLAYERS had anything to do with it?

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodell sure is a bullsitter

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can believe anyone involved. I'm sure nobody is giving the objective truth. And I wouldn't expect them to.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Goodell over the players. Drew Brees tweeted that the players "don't want more money." That's a complete lie, as why else would you sue if you didn't want more money? Coming from a guy who couldn't beat a 7-9 team in the playoffs. Right now my full anger is at the players, because they made the move to decertify - not the owners.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeMaurice Smith idolizes the old major league player's association union boss who engineered the players' strikes. I think he wanted this all along. That's why I have not spent any money on MLB since then.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I seen Drew Brees say is that all the players wanted is for the owners to show what they make and that was it
Drew Brees is a liar. He said that the players don't want more money - even though they're going to sue for more money. I have no respect for someone who has used the tragedy in New Orleans for his personal glory. He hasn't "saved" the city of New Orleans.

So you don't think greedy PLAYERS had anything to do with it?
I think this one falls squarely on the shoulders of the players. They've had a propaganda plan out for months now with their "LET US PLAY" tag on Twitter, when the only ones not letting them play are themselves. Conspiracy theorists - such as Steelers fans - will blame the commissioner, as they always do, when their team loses. But the players have been planning this for a long time - they never intended to agree to anything.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players gave full power to Owners in next CBA since no one will get a salary next year. Greed kills. Should have excepted the deal on the table

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I could wave a magic wand or somehow be in charge of it all here's what I would do:
1) Make each and every team a community owned non-profit like the Packers.
2) Get rid of unions for the players.
3) Have a set/fair salary for each player that they can live with (Say 2 mil a year.) But each player gets bonuses for how well they do.
Example: After 10 TD passes the QB will then get an additional 5k for each one after that.
Corner back gets 5 K after 3 INTs. A pick 6 will add on another 2 k.
Something for each player.
Win the SB. Automatic bonus for each player.
Team wins X amount of games, coaches get a bonus too.
I think it would add more incentive to the players ability and make the game even more exciting.

They need to create something that will be fair to everyone involved so that this BS never happens again.
Because the way the system is, every so often, we fans will have to put up with this now and again.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dear NFL Fan,

Yours,
Roger Goodell

Im merging this since I made a post with same letter and we are discussing this already

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more thing: I think the sports media has a vested interest in supporting the players. Think about it, how often are NFL owners interviewed? Maybe a couple times per season. Players are interviewed multiple times a week. So expect to continue to see more pro-player and anti-owner sentiment out of ESPN, local reporters, etc.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to answer those asking what this all means, I will attempt to simplify it all:

1) The union :
The union is a collective entity that reps the players as a whole. They are allowed to regulate reps(i.e. agents) who rep players in their best interests, and thus so, need to fit into a type that the union as a whole agrees upon (think of teachers, firemen, or policemen choosing who will be their insurance carrier) they must rule (vote on who this is, and as such, it is a "grouped decision by popular vote". This makes the players (NFLPA) a "unionized association".

2)"de-certification" of a union (i.e the NFLPA "breaking up")

The effort that the NFLPA (or as is now known as the 'FORMER' NFLPA) is putting forth to no longer be known as a union. What this does is makes it an" individual worker" vs a company. This has several impacts. Workers who are non- unionized cannot be barred from their employment on regular circumstances without cause. Thus they cannot be "locked-out". The union did this as to prevent a work stoppage by the NFL team owners. This is why you will soon see headlines like " Peyton Manning et al vs the NFL et al and Tom Brady et al VS. NFL et al". This is a legal way to say " Manning and Brady vs the NFL owners". Being that the union is no longer certified, the players are free to go to court to prevent there jobs being "locked out".

3) what this does:

the players are attempting to put statutes in place to show that there is collusion between owners to prevent the players from working (i.e. free agency or agreed upon rules of NFL owners to "lock out" players throughout the ranks of all 32 teams) Being that there is no union vs the "NFL" and "Owners", the owners would be violating the law in preventing the players from working (think of if McDonalds teamed up with BK,Rallys, KFC, Taco Bell, etc to prevent a single person from working, due to the fact that they all followed the same criteria). This would be illegal, monopolistic, and is exactly what the owners are about to run into.

4) What it all means now:

Nothing.

Outside of it all being a slap in the face for us fans, it is simply millionaires forcing billionaires to go to court. Nothing else. NFL football will be played, on time.

All that being said, It is ridiculous that this has gone this far. I am happy that we won the SB as I would not want to be the Bears or the Eagles trying to put a team together with what is being put out.

And do not think that this is a blip. There could very well be no football work until days before the regular season begins. This means no camps, no FA, no prep for 2011.

Either way, its a pretty ****** thing to have happen. I am a bit soured on the process and the lengths that both sides have gone to in stopping the other "rich people" from taking the others money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts