LIONS

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have not really been impressed by the Lions lately. They can't run the ball or stop the run. If they don't fix either they could be in some trouble.......like starting this weekend against the Falcons.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin johnsons impact on the lions improvement is one of the most overrated things I have ever heard.

Calvin Johnson's best year they went 0-16. Yeah he must be real valuable.

Its all Stafford and the improvement in pass defense.

To be fair, this is Calvin Johnson's best year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not really been impressed by the Lions lately. They can't run the ball or stop the run. If they don't fix either they could be in some trouble.......like starting this weekend against the Falcons.
GO FALCONS

Detroit can stop the run decently. They just couldn't against the Niners late last week. The Niners OL is the most physical in the NFL at this point in time though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I know a lot of fans of the ***** that are chomping at the bit for Thanksgiving to get here.

Honestly, I'm not. I'm with Lombardi on those Thanksgiving games in Detroit. Nothing good ever comes out of those damned things. After the ***** rubbed out the Pack's perfect season in '62 ... Lombardi fought the league tooth and nail on playing THAT game.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MAN I hope the Falcons best the lions tomorrow. Assuming we win, it would sure be nice to have a 2 game cushion going into the bye week. Just sucks that the Lions have the Falcons at home. Another Hoke game for them. I'm notbone of the people that thinks the Falcons don't have a team this year. They'll bring it together, yet.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MAN I hope the Falcons best the lions tomorrow. Assuming we win, it would sure be nice to have a 2 game cushion going into the bye week. Just sucks that the Lions have the Falcons at home. Another Hoke game for them. I'm notbone of the people that thinks the Falcons don't have a team this year. They'll bring it together, yet.

Its going to be a test for them thats for sure. Not a fan of either team but I agree, gotta pull for the birds.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is perhaps the Lions toughest match. It makes me wonder if the Lions and Falcons are equally matched.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we are not even halfway through the season yet. it will be his best year if he continues at this pace sure, but to say its already his best year is premature at best.

True, but you were speaking about the Lions turnaround this season. Thru the first 6 games Johnson has played the best football of his career, hence the Lions have been able to pull out some victories where in past years they could not. Obviously he has to keep it up all year, but at this point in the season I certainly think he is one of the main reasons they are where they are. The guy is there offense...as was illustrated by the 49ers last week. Take him away and Stafford isn't able to do what he's been doing. Of course taking Johnson away still left him with 100 yards...but not the big down the field grabs that break D's backs like normal.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that it looks like (according to NFLN) Jhavid Best's season might be over with the concussion he sustained, Lions are going to have some problems.

Thats ****ing ****, he was on my fantasy team, got me so many points.

Now im stuck with hightower, tate who gets no snaps and starks and grant!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but you were speaking about the Lions turnaround this season. Thru the first 6 games Johnson has played the best football of his career, hence the Lions have been able to pull out some victories where in past years they could not. Obviously he has to keep it up all year, but at this point in the season I certainly think he is one of the main reasons they are where they are. The guy is there offense...as was illustrated by the 49ers last week. Take him away and Stafford isn't able to do what he's been doing. Of course taking Johnson away still left him with 100 yards...but not the big down the field grabs that break D's backs like normal.

He lit it up and they still didnt win a single game a few years ago. What does that say? It says WRs are overrated. Moss - 0 rings TO - 0 rings. Marvin Harrison - 1 SB ring. What changed between now and when they didnt win a single game? They have a QB who isnt injured. A quality one. They also greatly improved their pass D. In 08 they had the worst pass D. In 09 the same, but slightly better numbers wise. In 10 they were 20th. So far this season they are 2nd in the league.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lions are doing well but they haven't been dominating anybody. They've been behind in quite a few games and some by considerable margins.

Now that it looks like (according to NFLN) Jhavid Best's season might be over with the concussion he sustained, Lions are going to have some problems.

Yup he has had two in two months, and sounds like people are giving him advice that he stop playing for this year

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
With all the first round draft picks they have had, they should be ok, which they are. The game last week showed their true colors. If Romo doesn't suck they would have lost that one too.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lit it up and they still didnt win a single game a few years ago. What does that say? It says WRs are overrated. Moss - 0 rings TO - 0 rings. Marvin Harrison - 1 SB ring. What changed between now and when they didnt win a single game? They have a QB who isnt injured. A quality one. They also greatly improved their pass D. In 08 they had the worst pass D. In 09 the same, but slightly better numbers wise. In 10 they were 20th. So far this season they are 2nd in the league.

In 2008 the year you are refrencing, the Lions went 0-16. That year Johnson finished...Finished with 12 tds. This season Johnson thru 6 games has 9 tds. 9! so with 10 games left he is only 3 tds off that 12 td mark of his "best season ever" according to you. Your wrong here, Johnson isn't just playing good like he did in 08. He is playing phenomenal, and thats the difference. He is their entire Offense at this point. It all runs thru him.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm not convinced on the Lions yet. I still have this gut feeling deep down inside that they are going to implode. Johnson is good and I can't stand Suh, but he gets the job done. I just see a team that performs in fits and spurts. This is going to catch up with them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2008 the year you are refrencing, the Lions went 0-16. That year Johnson finished...Finished with 12 tds. This season Johnson thru 6 games has 9 tds. 9! so with 10 games left he is only 3 tds off that 12 td mark of his "best season ever" according to you. Your wrong here, Johnson isn't just playing good like he did in 08. He is playing phenomenal, and thats the difference. He is their entire Offense at this point. It all runs thru him.

Then by your deduction Steve Smith is the reason the Panthers have a better offense this year? LOL yeah thats it.

Its the QB and pass defense. First year with Stafford healthy and a 2nd rated pass D in the league. Get off the ESPN highlights. Sh*t, Andre Johnson tore it up in 08, the Texans went 8-8. Fitz tore it up in 08 as well, 9-7. WR, the most overrated position in the NFL.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then by your deduction Steve Smith is the reason the Panthers have a better offense this year? LOL yeah thats it.

Its the QB and pass defense. First year with Stafford healthy and a 2nd rated pass D in the league. Get off the ESPN highlights. Sh*t, Andre Johnson tore it up in 08, the Texans went 8-8. Fitz tore it up in 08 as well, 9-7. WR, the most overrated position in the NFL.

I watch the Lions games. Stafford throws it to Johnson in triple coverage. I'm not saying Johnson is the entire reason for the turn around, but you can't discount his contributions. He is one of the top reasons they are where they are now. YOu completely glossed over the stats. Steve Smith? Yea he is no where near Johnson's numbers. 9 TDS! He is 3 TDS behind the pace of his "monster year" you keep trying to boast about. This year he is having now makes that year pale in comparison. Stafford is good, but so far the 49ers are the first team to contain Johnson, and the Lions lost.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't discount Johnson's contribution to the Lion's success. Of course he has been a huge factor. But lets not forget about Stafford and the rest of their OLine. I think the key for the Lions is keeping Stafford healthy, protecting him in the pocket. So far, the Lions OLinemen have been able to do that. The Lions greatest fear is a repeat of last year with Stafford going down and the Lion's season with it. If they keep Stafford healthy they should be able to make the playoffs by virtue of their record and finish 2nd in the division. Unless of course something happens and they implode or self destruct. I honestly don't see that happening, they appear to have a well run organization now and are making smart draft choices. I see the Lions as a good team, but not nearly in the realm the Packers are playing in right now. If they continue to grow and strengthen as they are, give them two years and I think they may be a lot more serious of a threat.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watch the Lions games. Stafford throws it to Johnson in triple coverage. I'm not saying Johnson is the entire reason for the turn around, but you can't discount his contributions. He is one of the top reasons they are where they are now. YOu completely glossed over the stats. Steve Smith? Yea he is no where near Johnson's numbers. 9 TDS! He is 3 TDS behind the pace of his "monster year" you keep trying to boast about. This year he is having now makes that year pale in comparison. Stafford is good, but so far the 49ers are the first team to contain Johnson, and the Lions lost.

Steve Smith has over a hundred more yards on 4 less receptions. so yeah he isnt anywhere near Johnsons numbers lol. And why the quotes? Never said monster year, try and not make things up as you go along.

I love when people presented with facts counter with "I watch the (team name) games." I guess that makes everyone in Detroit (when they arent blacked out) an expert. Calvin Johnson has been the constant, if you want to look at what caused them to become better dont look towards the constant, look towards the change.

Sterling Sharpe won the triple crown the same year the packers went 9-7 I believe. Just another example.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Steve Smith has over a hundred more yards on 4 less receptions. so yeah he isnt anywhere near Johnsons numbers lol. And why the quotes? Never said monster year, try and not make things up as you go along.

I love when people presented with facts counter with "I watch the (team name) games." I guess that makes everyone in Detroit (when they arent blacked out) an expert. Calvin Johnson has been the constant, if you want to look at what caused them to become better dont look towards the constant, look towards the change.

Sterling Sharpe won the triple crown the same year the packers went 9-7 I believe. Just another example.

Stafford stays up they do good..He isnt playing, they will stop winning

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

7 for 113 is contained? It was more the Niners defense that smashed Stafford around...They did get a safety on him ya know

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stafford stays up they do good..He isnt playing, they will stop winning

My point exactly! Consider where they went wrong last year. The Lions could of had a similar season last year as to this year. Stafford going down set them back a year but alas, got them some decent draft picks to build with.

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Javid Best out with another concussion, the Lions will only go downhill the rest of the season. They don't have another RB who is such a receiving threat and can take it to the house at any time.

Members online

Latest posts