Linebackers

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, both Jones and Lattimore started outside but they changed positions during the offseason not camp.
Right, which is why people shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't A) look like a fourth round pick at OLB (because they're planning on moving him inside) or B) move inside and start playing there now. I think it's a lot more likely that they have a long term plan for him than that they spent a fourth round pick on a guy that shouldn't even be in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, which is why people shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't A) look like a fourth round pick at OLB (because they're planning on moving him inside) or B) move inside and start playing there now. I think it's a lot more likely that they have a long term plan for him than that they spent a fourth round pick on a guy that shouldn't even be in the league.

Well, a long term plan is a nice thing but I don´t see any reason for him making the team now. Even if the Packers move him inside now he won´t be able to make any impact in 2014.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we have no idea what other teams think of Bradford since we took him so early. It could be that there are a dozen 4-3 teams who were about to trade up to grab him and he'll get picked up as soon as he's cut or he was going to go undrafted entirely and he'll make it to the practice squad. I really doubt that it's the latter. It's not like he has a ton of horrible tape out there. He has almost none. Keep in mind with guys like Thomas and Elliott and Hubbard that there are been all kinds of guys through the years that people thought would never make it to the practice squad when they got cut and did. Remember how many people thought that Tory Gurley was way too special to risk cutting? How many times did he go unclaimed?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, we have no idea what other teams think of Bradford since we took him so early. It could be that there are a dozen 4-3 teams who were about to trade up to grab him and he'll get picked up as soon as he's cut or he was going to go undrafted entirely and he'll make it to the practice squad. I really doubt that it's the latter. It's not like he has a ton of horrible tape out there. He has almost none. Keep in mind with guys like Thomas and Elliott and Hubbard that there are been all kinds of guys through the years that people thought would never make it to the practice squad when they got cut and did. Remember how many people thought that Tory Gurley was way too special to risk cutting? How many times did he go unclaimed?

You´re completely missing my point here though. As of right now I don´t care if some other team claims Bradford if we try to sign him to the practice squad as I don´t want him and I don´t think he deserves to be on the 53. He´s for sure not one of the best six OLB at the moments and if the Packers long term plan was to move him inside they should have done it immediately after drafting him (I don´t think he would be a great fit playing ILB in a 3-4 either, but that´s a discussion for a different day).

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a long term plan is a nice thing but I don´t see any reason for him making the team now. Even if the Packers move him inside now he won´t be able to make any impact in 2014.

The key aspect of a "long term plan" is the "long term" part. If you cut him then you can't do anything "long term", can you? "Long term plan" might include something beyond "impact in 2014", perhaps?

D

Deleted member 6794

The key aspect of a "long term plan" is the "long term" part. If you cut him then you can't do anything "long term", can you? "Long term plan" might include something beyond "impact in 2014", perhaps?

If this was baseball or hockey we're talking about it's fine to have a long term plan as we could develop him at one of our minor league affiliates.

As this is football though the best 53 players on the camp roster will make the team (of course positions dictating the numbers to a certain degree) and Bradford is not even close to being on that list as of now.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You´re completely missing my point here though. As of right now I don´t care if some other team claims Bradford if we try to sign him to the practice squad as I don´t want him and I don´t think he deserves to be on the 53. He´s for sure not one of the best six OLB at the moments and if the Packers long term plan was to move him inside they should have done it immediately after drafting him (I don´t think he would be a great fit playing ILB in a 3-4 either, but that´s a discussion for a different day).

So based on the nothing of him that we've seen, you're sure that the coaches who drafted him in the 4th should dump him, regardless of why they drafted him? I hope they had a plan, I hope they carry it out and I hope it works, even if two future hall of famer UFAs need to be cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

So based on the nothing of him that we've seen, you're sure that the coaches who drafted him in the 4th should dump him, regardless of why they drafted him? I hope they had a plan, I hope they carry it out and I hope it works, even if two future hall of famer UFAs need to be cut.

First of all I don't think McCarthy or Moss had a lot of input in drafting him.

Once again just because he was drafted in fourth round doesn't mean the Packers have to hold on him if he's not able to beat out players like Palmer, Mulumba, Elliott and Hubbard.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Once again just because he was drafted in fourth round doesn't mean the Packers have to hold on him if he's not able to beat out players like Palmer, Mulumba, Elliott and Hubbard.

Of course it doesn't mean they "have" to. It means that they probably will, and it means that they're either HORRIBLE at drafting or they have a long term plan that probably doesn't include cutting him. Him not looking like a great OLB at this point doesn't mean their plan, if they have it, is kaput.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

1. I certainly hope that McCarthy's input is minimal in drafting players (other than QB possibly). That's a recipe for disaster having coaches unduly influence draft picks.
2. Completely agree that Bradford could be cut if they don't like what they've seen from him and/or believe that the other four are really coming on strong and have bright futures as well. Out of approx 90, there are probably only 30-35 that are safe locks. Everyone else could either be cut or traded before the 53 is set in stone.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Preserve it then. I've come to the conclusion that it's best to not focus so much on Teddy's 1st rd picks . I solely focus on the late rd picks because that's obviously where he hits the mark..
:D = Meant as a joke.

packrule81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You can still put a guy on the practice squad and develop him for long term. For a team to claim a player they have to put him on their 53 man roster. While not all teams are as deep as the packers, he hasn't really done enough to be claimed to a roster at this point.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can still put a guy on the practice squad and develop him for long term. For a team to claim a player they have to put him on their 53 man roster. While not all teams are as deep as the packers, he hasn't really done enough to be claimed to a roster at this point.

Don't have to be put on 53 if grabbed before being put on PS. Meaning another team ( 4-3 defense ) talks to him after being cut and convinces him there's a better spot for him on their team. Pick confused me when it happened but the plan we be known soon enough I suppose.

packrule81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't have to be put on 53 if grabbed before being put on PS. Meaning another team ( 4-3 defense ) talks to him after being cut and convinces him there's a better spot for him on their team. Pick confused me when it happened but the plan we be known soon enough I suppose.

Yes, he could sign on any PS he wanted and wouldn't be required to stay on GB's PS so would take some convincing. Just read they play Oakland and Chiefs next to preseason games whose GMs are Reggie McKenzie and John Dorsey, former GB personnel men. Don't be surprised if they pick up some of our cut players.

packrule81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We often hear the argument that a guy hasn't done enough in this one offseason/preseason to make the roster. Let me ask you guys this: What did Greg Van Roten do so much more last year to prove his worth than guys like Bradford? Van Roten made the roster and he wasn't even in Green Bay for the beginning of camp.

That was more of a position of need after Tretter got injured last year. IMO OLB is a position of strength on this team.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he could sign on any PS he wanted and wouldn't be required to stay on GB's PS so would take some convincing. Just read they play Oakland and Chiefs next to preseason games whose GMs are Reggie McKenzie and John Dorsey, former GB personnel men. Don't be surprised if they pick up some of our cut players.

More 4-3 DE options for him out there if he thinks he is a better fit. May feel too out of place to continue the LB experiment for him. Doesn't mean he will star in the league somewhere else but at least it will be of his choosing at that time.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Even though he was going against chaff, he's shown enough that he'd be picked up.

He should have been drafted.
32 NFL general managers apparently don't agree that he was worthy of being picked through essentially 8 rounds. I doubt that teams scrambling to cut 22 players next week are going to be hauling it hard after another team's discarded UDFA before we can get him on the practice squad unless they've already contacted Thompson about trading for him. I think you are projecting that he's going to have 2 really good games before final cuts. That's a reach IMO.

Members online

Latest posts