Like it or not, Brett is the guy

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is not surrounded by very much talent. The line is young, inexperienced and may not have the talent to be very good. The running back situation is tenuous. He has Donald Driver to throw too. Jennings looks like he might be something special, but he's not a go to guy yet and he's a rookie. Who knows about Robinson. Still the bottom line is that when Brett doesn't get careless and throw the ball up for grabs, he's as good as anyone in the league. Here is what I found in the St. Louis Paper this morning.

"His deep ball is strong as ever," Rams DT La'Roi Glover said. "But he's always throwing the ball up and giving it to a defense. He's done that from Day 1. He can beat you if you let him. But if you're in the right place, he'll throw you some. Simple as that."

This is how defenses prepare for him. There isn't anything new there, but I found it interesting to see it written so clearly. Whether it's fair or not, this team needs Brett Favre playing well to win.

What I'd love to see in Green Bay is a team that can elevate at home. We need to start reclaiming our home field. Teams aren't afraid to come to Lambeau anymore. We have to change that.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your greatest mistake in this post is the assessment that he's not surrounded by talent. He is surrounded by a lot of talent, but why aren't they playing as probowlers yet?

Most of them are very young or rookies. Don't expect them to play as probowlers.

The line is playing fairly well, better than last year I think. He's got better receivers than last year as well.

But this year, our pass defense seems to suck, and that part consists almost solely of veterans. I think the rookies are playing decently, however that doesn't help much when the veterans are playing like rookies. Blame the veterans.

On that comment by the rams player, in this neo-conservative west coast offense he's not going to do that, I think he will torch the Rams for over 300 yards and get at least 3 TDs, if the defense plays up to par.

That statement was outrageous really, I hope he beats them up bad!

A HOF QB doesn't beat you because you let him, he beats you because he is flat out better than you.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There might be a day when that line matures and turns into a pretty good line. They're not close to a good line now. Green is injured and not close to the player he once was. The team is runining four tight ends. Bubba can't catch the ball. Donald Lee can't block, David Martin is always hurt and drops too many balls. Donald Driver is truly the only legitimate wide recevier. Jennings might be on the come but he's not there yet. Robinson is an unknown with this offense, but he might turn out to be a godsend. This offense is loaded with if's and maybe's. Contrast this roster with some of the players Brett was surrounded with in the mid 90's.

Brett is amazing when he makes the right play. Too often he wants to make something out of nothing. When he had better players on the other end of the ball he could do that and get away with it because he can put the ball where he wants it. the problem is that those receivers aren't always able to do that now. Brett could easily have had another two or three picks last week on balls that were dropped by their defenders.

I will make this point again. If Brett takes care of the ball and doesn't give up to this weak defense, we have a chance to win this game. Brett can easily still win, but he can't turn it over and win.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the line hasnt given up a sack in two straight games now, and had a guy rush for 99 yards last week. By the way that guy was morency and it was his first career NFL start. Theres definetly talent there and its coming together. you guys arent giving them enough credit.

that goes for jennings as well... hes playing just as good if not better now than most of our veterans. We need to get into the endzone more, and play more consistent football on offense and we will be ok. our offense isnt really as far off as it seems right now...

defense... well thats a whole nother story.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahaha as i was typing that i was thinking... ya know i think he had one start in houston. Then i thought ahh screw it no ones gonna call me on that ....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
He is not surrounded by very much talent. The line is young, inexperienced and may not have the talent to be very good. The running back situation is tenuous. He has Donald Driver to throw too. Jennings looks like he might be something special, but he's not a go to guy yet and he's a rookie. Who knows about Robinson. Still the bottom line is that when Brett doesn't get careless and throw the ball up for grabs, he's as good as anyone in the league. Here is what I found in the St. Louis Paper this morning.

"His deep ball is strong as ever," Rams DT La'Roi Glover said. "But he's always throwing the ball up and giving it to a defense. He's done that from Day 1. He can beat you if you let him. But if you're in the right place, he'll throw you some. Simple as that."

This is how defenses prepare for him. There isn't anything new there, but I found it interesting to see it written so clearly. Whether it's fair or not, this team needs Brett Favre playing well to win.

What I'd love to see in Green Bay is a team that can elevate at home. We need to start reclaiming our home field. Teams aren't afraid to come to Lambeau anymore. We have to change that.

The talent is young. Give us another year and we'll be good. I hope Favre plays two more years after this.

Our problem is our D.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lack of talent can't make Brett overthrow guys by 10 yards.

I think that, usually, lost games are not his fault. However, this one is 100% on Brett.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if our WRs would't have had all those drops we would have won the game, without that final drive. How about the missed fg. What about the dopped ints.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I am going to bring it up again.
How many loses do they have to rack up before Rodgers gets some real live snaps?

Favre got banged up last week and it will not get any better for him. Do you ask him if he plans on returning? If he says he does not know do you then start playing the guy who will have to replace him eventually?

Do you judge your decision on how close he is to Marino's record or do what is best for the future? If they get into another blow out do you pull Favre for both his safty and Rodgers future?

They might as well start thinking about this stuff because it will not just magically work itself out.

Reaction score
Philtration said:
How many loses do they have to rack up before Rodgers gets some real live snaps?

Favre got banged up last week and it will not get any better for him. Do you ask him if he plans on returning? If he says he does not know do you then start playing the guy who will have to replace him eventually?

Do you judge your decision on how close he is to Marino's record or do what is best for the future? If they get into another blow out do you pull Favre for both his safty and Rodgers future?

They might as well start thinking about this stuff because it will not just magically work itself out.

You are right phil, it won't magically work itself out. Favre is the better player right now, but what can you expect from Rodgers who is only 22. He has a HUGE learning curve compared to other QBs who get drafted at an older age.

So at this point, overall Brett is better than Rodgers. If Brett is struggling right now, Rodgers stands no chance of doing any better. Why break the young mans confidence at this point? You let him sit, practice, observe so that the game slows down that much more for him. Then you let him do his thing when he is more mature.

Also, if Favre was benched now and Rodgers was playing, that is asking too much of Rodgers. Every bad throw, INT, incomplete pass, sack, and fumble by Rodgers will lead to the inevitable comparision of whether or not Favre would have done the same. It may also lead to calls of Favre getting back on the field, which will only further dent Rodgers confidence.

Yes Rodgers will take over for Favre, but there is a huge difference in the amount of pressure that Rodgers will have on his shoulders if he replaces Favre vs. takes over the ship from Favre. That isn't to say the pressure won't be really high after Brett retires, but it won't be as high as replacing Favre right now.

Finally, having Rodgers wait means you provide him with a better supporting cast around him. Let's not kid ourselves, we both know the Packers are rebuilding. Another year of picking in the top half of the draft means we get better players. Also, our numerous first year and rookie players get more time to improve. By doing this, you are making things a whole lot easier for Rodgers in terms of coming in and not having to do too much.

All these things add up and make it so that Rodgers has a better chance of succeeding taking over for Favre if he starts AFTER Favre retires. You play your best players, because in the end you play to win the game. Brett is a better player than Rodgers at this point in time.

Thus, Favre should keep starting.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drich318 said:
if our WRs would't have had all those drops we would have won the game, without that final drive. How about the missed fg. What about the dopped ints.

Don't try and bring reality into a conversation on these forums, but since you did let me mention also:

Morency fumbles the ball on the first drive when The Pack looks like they are putting together a drive, setting up a score.

Dave Raynor misses a 45 yd field goal in perfect conditions.

Ryan gets off a 39 yd line drive punt that is returned 28 yds into Packer territory setting up an easy scoring drive.

Darryn College at the most critical time of the game let his man get to Brett, causing the fumble.

Oh one more, we are at home, why in the Hell is a pass play called when we are in perfect position to kick a filed goal and send the game into overtime?(this ones easy, because we were trying to win the game and St. Louis' defense came up with a big play, something that our defense failed to do time and time again.

Reality is that Brett struggled at times during the game, but made the plays when it counted, he had them in position to tie or win, when in reality that last drive should have been to just kill the clock, because we should not have been behind.

ONE MORE TIME!!!!!
THIS IS A TEAM GAME. NO ONE PLAYER WINS OR LOSES A GAME!!!!

But some of you continue tio want to play THE BLAME GAME making you look like the idiots you are!!!!!

And Phil, your "when are we going to see what Rogers can do" rap is getting old, why don't you just go away like you said you were going to several months ago!!!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Philtration said:

You are right phil, it won't magically work itself out. Favre is the better player right now, but what can you expect from Rodgers who is only 22. He has a HUGE learning curve compared to other QBs who get drafted at an older age.

So at this point, overall Brett is better than Rodgers. If Brett is struggling right now, Rodgers stands no chance of doing any better. Why break the young mans confidence at this point? You let him sit, practice, observe so that the game slows down that much more for him. Then you let him do his thing when he is more mature.

Also, if Favre was benched now and Rodgers was playing, that is asking too much of Rodgers. Every bad throw, INT, incomplete pass, sack, and fumble by Rodgers will lead to the inevitable comparision of whether or not Favre would have done the same. It may also lead to calls of Favre getting back on the field, which will only further dent Rodgers confidence.

Yes Rodgers will take over for Favre, but there is a huge difference in the amount of pressure that Rodgers will have on his shoulders if he replaces Favre vs. takes over the ship from Favre. That isn't to say the pressure won't be really high after Brett retires, but it won't be as high as replacing Favre right now.

Finally, having Rodgers wait means you provide him with a better supporting cast around him. Let's not kid ourselves, we both know the Packers are rebuilding. Another year of picking in the top half of the draft means we get better players. Also, our numerous first year and rookie players get more time to improve. By doing this, you are making things a whole lot easier for Rodgers in terms of coming in and not having to do too much.

All these things add up and make it so that Rodgers has a better chance of succeeding taking over for Favre if he starts AFTER Favre retires. You play your best players, because in the end you play to win the game. Brett is a better player than Rodgers at this point in time.

Thus, Favre should keep starting.

I agree. I am not talking about him replacing him just for a change. That would be stupid.
I mean getting him some reps in a real game if it gets out of hand. I know that Favre gives you a better chance at a come from behind win but he really does not do that like in days gone by.
If Favre is going to toss it up for grabs then why not let Rodgers at least see some real NFL defense and play a quarter now and then.

If his confidance is that fragile then you will want to know that before handing him the keys in 2007 or 08.

Reaction score
Philtration said:
If Favre is going to toss it up for grabs then why not let Rodgers at least see some real NFL defense and play a quarter now and then.

If his confidance is that fragile then you will want to know that before handing him the keys in 2007 or 08.

I imagine in a game, if the Packers are still down by 10-14 points, they think they can pull it out. Is it likely, nope. IMO if McCarthy were to sub Rodgers in too soon, he would give off the impression he was "quitting" in the game. I also imagine that Aaron is a little hesitant to go deep (when compared to Brett) because Aaron isn't a gunslinger by nature. Brett is, and that is what McCarthy thinks is the best option out there.

However, if the Packers are down by more than 2 touchdowns, heading into the foruth then I think at some point this season McCarthy has to let Rodgers play. Unfortuantely it isn't the easiest thing to go up to a hall of famer and say "alright, your night is done". However no on esaid being a coach is a walk in the park, so I assume its a mix of factors with the ones I highlighted above being the more prominent reasons why IMO.

As for giving him the keys to the season in 2007, you are right it is best to know beforehand. However, Rodgers has said, done, learned the right things. His leap from year 1 to year 2 was astronomical, and that makes me believe he is the type fo person who will be able to rebound. So there are encouraging signs, and I'd rather take a shot with Rodgers than sift through a QB market that doesn't have a proven starter and end up breaking the bank open for a QB for his potential (Schuab). So ultimately, Rodgers will be familiar with the system, we know McCarthy's WCO is designed to make the QB look good, and Rodgers has built chemistry and gotten the people in teh locker room to respect him by showing poise. The signs are encouraging, and at this point I'd say that is all you could ask for.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

I think that, usually, lost games are not his fault. However, this one is 100% on Brett.

uh...ever hear of a guy blowing a route, kmac?? sheesh people. lack of experience/playbook knowledge (k-rob) can INDEED cause over & under throws - oh & a few interceptions as well.

the game yesterday was the most excited i've been this season. it was fun to watch the D stop em in the redzone time after time. it was cool watching herron shine.

when a team struggles, it's only natural for fans to try & pin blame on certain individuals but if you think about all aspects of the game - it's impossible to blame a loss on one player.

all i know is when we were in the middle of the 2 minute drill, i thought to myself - favre is THE guy i want out there now!!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

What game were you watching kmac??? Surely not the same one I was watching...IMO Brett was awesome!!! He again almost came back to win this game, how many QB can do that?? They would have won this game at the end if Brett didnt get hit while he was about to throw it...things like this happens, everytime we loose a game I hate to come here and see how much trashing Brett gets,,,he isnt perfect, but he surely dont loose these games for us either..

Wake up!! Its the entire team that makes mistakes,,it is the entire team that wins games..not just "ONE" person...and this include the coaching staff as well..

We were at the Steelers game at San Diego yesterday,,and sorry PacknSteel, but Roelisberger dont come up to Favre in playing in games and he just won the superbowl last year..not many QB's come up to Bretts level of playing..He throws balls and has interceptions when they are behind in points, last he did this and this year as well, the guy is trying to make things happen, to give this team a chance...

So NO NO NO was this 100% Bretts fault!!!!!!!!!!!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
kmac said:

What game were you watching kmac??? Surely not the same one I was watching...IMO Brett was awesome!!! He again almost came back to win this game, how many QB can do that?? They would have won this game at the end if Brett didnt get hit while he was about to throw it...things like this happens, everytime we loose a game I hate to come here and see how much trashing Brett gets,,,he isnt perfect, but he surely dont loose these games for us either..

Wake up!! Its the entire team that makes mistakes,,it is the entire team that wins games..not just "ONE" person...and this include the coaching staff as well..

We were at the Steelers game at San Diego yesterday,,and sorry PacknSteel, but Roelisberger dont come up to Favre in playing in games and he just won the superbowl last year..not many QB's come up to Bretts level of playing..He throws balls and has interceptions when they are behind in points, last he did this and this year as well, the guy is trying to make things happen, to give this team a chance...

I don't know if anyone is blaming everything on Favre but Favre is not Jesus in Cleats and he needs to be held accountable for his bad plays. He didn't play a perfect game yesterday that's for sure. He had a couple of bad throws and he said it himself. He missed Jennings twice. Once on a slant. The other for a first down. Missed Robinson deep and threw it way to high for Bubba Franks who is fairly tall. Made a poor read and missed a wide open Bubba Franks for a TD. If people are going to thrash Al Harris, Charles Woodson, offensive lineman (and rightfully so) what's the big deal in holding Favre accountable for his mistakes as well?

The last play was a matter of 3 guys but I mainly point the finger on Tauscher. After that you can look at the game film and pick apart many players including Brett Favre.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so, none of those over/under throws has anything to do with guys running bad or wrong routes?? i'm sure the franks pass was just a miscue but think about it...k-rob is new to the team & therefore is NOT as familiar with the playbook. we all know favre isn't the Lord re-incarnate but to blame the entire loss on him is ludicrous.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
so, none of those over/under throws has anything to do with guys running bad or wrong routes?? i'm sure the franks pass was just a miscue but think about it...k-rob is new to the team & therefore is NOT as familiar with the playbook. we all know favre isn't the Lord re-incarnate but to blame the entire loss on him is ludicrous.

When I hear Favre questioning his play common sense tells me he missed a lot of opportunities himself. Jennings ran a slant and Favre just lead him a little to much. Franks throw was just an awful read. I'm sure some were mistakes by the WR's as well but not ALL OF THEM. It's ridiculous that people will blame the loss all on Favre but it's just as ridiculous to blame everyone else but him. That’s my point with Favre as of late.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
kmac said:

I don't know if anyone is blaming everything on Favre but Favre is not Jesus in Cleats and he needs to be held accountable for his bad plays. He didn't play a perfect game yesterday that's for sure. He had a couple of bad throws and he said it himself. He missed Jennings twice. Once on a slant. The other for a first down. Missed Robinson deep and threw it way to high for Bubba Franks who is fairly tall. Made a poor read and missed a wide open Bubba Franks for a TD. If people are going to thrash Al Harris, Charles Woodson, offensive lineman (and rightfully so) what's the big deal in holding Favre accountable for his mistakes as well?

The last play was a matter of 3 guys but I mainly point the finger on Tauscher. After that you can look at the game film and pick apart many players including Brett Favre.

I notice you left off your boy Driver. He hasn't shown up for the past two weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts