Let's Talk About Our Receiving Corps

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you said they seem a lot better than they are, which is about the same thing.

If that's the case, then there are actually very, very few NFL-quality receivers in the NFL. The fact is that, more often than not, WRs don't beat coverage the majority of the time. The average WR probably only beats the coverage about 25-35% of the time and I would say that NO NFL WR catches anywhere near 100% of catchable balls. You're essentially saying that in your mind all NFL WRs should be Pro Bowl caliber. But Jones and Nelson both have pretty routinely made some spectacular catches over the last 2 or 3 seasons. So I would say they are both just as good as they seem to be.

Why? Nelson was near the top of the NFL in TD catches last year and Jones was this year. You can give the credit to Rodgers if you want, but that makes no sense because the WRs still have to get open and make a lot of difficult catches to get to that level. If that's the case then you have to give most of the credit for C.Johnson's success to Stafford.

hahaha some real passion there. Megatron and a small handfull of others around the league I would consider great - and yes, Stafford does get some credit, but not much because unlike Rodgers, he hasn't managed to turn his other receivers into anything special - not to mention the matters of winning games and the lack of interceptions. I would be interested in hearing where you got that 25-35% figure; also the idea that most NFL receivers don't catch nearly 100% of catchable balls - hell, Finley probably catches 80-90% hahaha.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to a PFF comparison of TE stats in the NFL from 2009-11 (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/03/three-year-drop-rate-tight-ends/), Finley's drop rate is 10.9% based on 147 catchable balls. This jives with the stats that I've gathered showing that Finley was targeted 189 times during that those three seasons with 131 receptions. That's a reception rate of 69.3% but about 20% of the targets were mis-fires by Rodgers.

So our worst pass-catcher, Jerdroppel Paddlehands (or whatever he's called on the other thread) catches 89% of his passes

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
My yard is 3 1/2 acres. I would accept it single layer cans standing up. That'd be enough to get me most of the way through the next sub .500 season.
If I had 3.5 acres of beer I wouldn't care about the Packers season much less be aware of it.
I'll bet you a beer the team does better than .500 Poppa San.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If I had 3.5 acres of beer I wouldn't care about the Packers season much less be aware of it.
I'll bet you a beer the team does better than .500 Poppa San.
I'll agree they should be better than .500 the next few seasons (even without Rodgers for 12+ games.)
What the heck, Coaches Corner Bar, Ledgeview, the next Sunday night game in December, home or away. 1st Leinies Dark Ale pitcher is on me. No matter the record. I'll be in Packer gear.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'll agree they should be better than .500 the next few seasons (even without Rodgers for 12+ games.)
What the heck, Coaches Corner Bar, Ledgeview, the next Sunday night game in December, home or away. 1st Leinies Dark Ale pitcher is on me. No matter the record. I'll be in Packer gear.
You're on. I'll have to find a designated driver however, I think it would be a long night talking Packers.
Or any game in Mercer T's in Clyman WI. You have to experience this old town kind of fan experience to be called a Packer fan. Full on regalia and great people from the center of the state.

M

mayo44

Stafford does get some credit, but not much because unlike Rodgers, he hasn't managed to turn his other receivers into anything special

Rodgers didn't turn Jones and Nelson into anything special either. They are by their own merit. Rodgers can get the ball in the area, be he has nothing to do with those guys consistently making high-difficulty catches. In particular, I suggest you review Nelson's senior year at KSU before you say anything about Rodgers being the one that made him special. He was already special coming in.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. You don't get picked in the first or second round of the NFL draft unless you have done some special things in college. That said, Rodgers makes them even better and vice versa. Many QBs throw the back-shoulder pass but not many teams do it as successfully and consistently as GB

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't turn Jones and Nelson into anything special either. They are by their own merit. Rodgers can get the ball in the area, be he has nothing to do with those guys consistently making high-difficulty catches. In particular, I suggest you review Nelson's senior year at KSU before you say anything about Rodgers being the one that made him special. He was already special coming in.

I certainly don't mean anything against Nelson or Jones, but I doubt they would be doing near as well for a different team/different QB. Unfortunately, this question is probably gonna get answered one way or the other by how Jennings does with some other team.

M

mayo44

I certainly don't mean anything against Nelson or Jones, but I doubt they would be doing near as well for a different team/different QB. Unfortunately, this question is probably gonna get answered one way or the other by how Jennings does with some other team.

I'm just saying the same goes for any WR or QB in the NFL. They're a combo deal. They make each other better. Put Calvin Johnson on a team with Mark Sanchez or David Carr and he's not going to do so much. Put Rodgers or Brees on a team with nothing but third-rate WRs and they're not going to do nearly as well either. There's a distinct symbiosis that exists between WRs and QBs. Specifically, it's a mutualist relationship.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, the first thing that pops into my mind is Larry Fitzgerald. Probably Randy Moss fits in that category also counter examples to what you said. In addition, a lot of mediocre receivers have blossomed bigtime when they got with a top quality QB - and in some cases, faded back when they were back with somebody lesser.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying the same goes for any WR or QB in the NFL. They're a combo deal. They make each other better. Put Calvin Johnson on a team with Mark Sanchez or David Carr and he's not going to do so much. Put Rodgers or Brees on a team with nothing but third-rate WRs and they're not going to do nearly as well either. There's a distinct symbiosis that exists between WRs and QBs. Specifically, it's a mutualist relationship.

Calvin Johnson had a pretty good season when they went 0-16

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, the first thing that pops into my mind is Larry Fitzgerald. Probably Randy Moss fits in that category also counter examples to what you said, mayo. In addition, a lot of mediocre receivers have blossomed bigtime when they got with a top quality QB - and in some cases, faded back when they were back with somebody lesser.

M

mayo44

Uh, the first thing that pops into my mind is Larry Fitzgerald. Probably Randy Moss fits in that category also counter examples to what you said, mayo. In addition, a lot of mediocre receivers have blossomed bigtime when they got with a top quality QB - and in some cases, faded back when they were back with somebody lesser.

Neither Nelson or Jones are mediocre.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Because HOF WR [insert rest of quip here]

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We could use : Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4. Weight: 232.
That height and weight combo along with his prjected speed (4.4 40yd dash) is a leathal force.
Makes you wonder why a team like NYG who aren't exactly stacked at WR cut him. Maybe there's something wrong with him?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why a team like NYG who aren't exactly stacked at WR cut him. Maybe there's something wrong with him?
Apparently he was "soft"
http://beforeitsnews.com/sports/2013/05/ny-giants-waive-six-including-wr-marcus-davis-2509224.html
The New York Giants have waived six players including Virginia Tech standout WR Marcus Davis. Davis only made it a week with the G-Men and was labeled a soft player. He will need to work on his overall game before cracking an NFL roster.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Or, maybe they are saving $$$$$ for that fat victor cruz contract yet to be determined. ???????
$$$ on a UDFA? B* u kwazy. Speaking of $$$
How does Davis not fit a pass oriented offense???? lol.....WTF???
The guy is young, 6'4" tall, fast, and has good hands......what about that does not fit???
And being in the location I am, I have had PLENTY of TV time watching virginia tech play ball.....that guy is money.
Just gloating a bit.

Soft doesn't begin to describe it. Compares very similarly to JaMarcus Russel in the effort category. He always was the antiBoykin (who made this team with his blocking ability, route running, body control, and ability to beat press coverage). The deadspin article on him was great

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me the top 3 of the receiving corps is Jordy, Cobb and Jones, once you get passed those three, we're thin at best. Finley plays like he couldn't catch a cold, let alone a pass. Boykin and Ross as well as Taylor are unproven for the most part. Bostick is a cointoss IMO, and I don't think Williams is gonna be there. If one of our top 3 goes down we're in trouble.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
$$$ on a UDFA? B* u kwazy. Speaking of $$$

Just gloating a bit.

Soft doesn't begin to describe it. Compares very similarly to JaMarcus Russel in the effort category. He always was the antiBoykin (who made this team with his blocking ability, route running, body control, and ability to beat press coverage). The deadspin article on him was great

PLEASE use the skills public school gave you for free......and read what I said......victor cruz wants 13-15 mil per years, that may be why they are trying to save $$$....it involves re-reading post number 67

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PLEASE use the skills public school gave you for free......and read what I said......victor cruz wants 13-15 mil per years, that may be why they are trying to save $$$....it involves re-reading post number 67

I think the point was a guy that is a UDFA might not be among the top 51 contracts that count towards the teams cap number. Cutting a guy that makes peanuts and doesn't count towards the cap isn't going to help them sign a high ticket WR like Cruz.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
^Very much this. UDFA cost dirt, and generally don't count against the cap. "Let's save money we're not technically spending on a UDFA" If he was really that good, as you indicated he was so long ago, they'd have cut a different fringe WR to keep him at what would probably be a cheaper price. The fact that he was cut from a moderately WR needy team like NYG shows he wasn't worth keeping.

Davis to Jets. If he somehow manages to get cut there...

Members online

Latest posts