Let's Talk About Our Receiving Corps

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ummmm......finley is a TE, Davis is a WR.....Apples to Oranges my friend.
And if you didn't notice or have not heard, FINLEY SUCKS BALLS at blocking.....hell, Crabtree is 5 times better at blocking than dumb finley is.

How does Davis not fit a pass oriented offense???? lol.....WTF???
The guy is young, 6'4" tall, fast, and has good hands......what about that does not fit???
And being in the location I am, I have had PLENTY of TV time watching virginia tech play ball.....that guy is money.
Wow. Do you even realize what we look for in WR?

Hint:
Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Marcus Davis. One of these things is not like the others.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WE don't know if Miami is interested? How in the world can you post that? Of course they are.
Of COURSE it's all speculation at this point but do you for one second think that Joe Philbin isn't thinking about Jennings?

This is the most circular argument I think I've ever seen. Of course they are interested. But, of course, it's speculation.

Regardless, there is no way any of us can take a firm stance on any of this speculation, no matter how logical it may seem.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WE don't know if Miami is interested? How in the world can you post that? Of course they are. They need a $1 WR and Jenning is one of those.
Of COURSE it's all speculation at this point but do you for one second think that Joe Philbin isn't thinking about Jennings?
You don't have to be a GM or otherwise to recognize that it's obvious Miami has it's eye on him. Do YOU work for an NFL team to tell me otherwise? Didn't think so, so I'll speculate away if it's okay with you adambr.

Seriously, getting huffy about that? All I said is that any interest from Miami was purely speculation at this point. I simply said we don't know if Miami even is interested. Do YOU work for the Miami Dolphins? Didn't think so, so I'll speculate away if it's okay with you DevilDon.

It's incredibly short-sighted to assume they want Jennings based on their need for a #1 WR. So what? We need a DT and an OT, doesn't mean we will have any interest in Henry Melton or Sebastian Vollmer in free agency or that Mike McCarthy is "thinking" about them. There are lots of other factors to consider such as whether or not they will want to invest a huge deal in a WR with recent injury struggles who will be turning 30 this year. They might consider Wallace, Amendola bringing back Hartline, etc. And maybe they do show interest in Jennings, but saying there's no way do we match what "Miami will offer" is jumping the gun a little bit.

H

HardRightEdge

Seriously, getting huffy about that? All I said is that any interest from Miami was purely speculation at this point. I simply said we don't know if Miami even is interested. Do YOU work for the Miami Dolphins? Didn't think so, so I'll speculate away if it's okay with you DevilDon.

It's incredibly short-sighted to assume they want Jennings based on their need for a #1 WR. So what? We need a DT and an OT, doesn't mean we will have any interest in Henry Melton or Sebastian Vollmer in free agency or that Mike McCarthy is "thinking" about them. There are lots of other factors to consider such as whether or not they will want to invest a huge deal in a WR with recent injury struggles who will be turning 30 this year. They might consider Wallace, Amendola bringing back Hartline, etc. And maybe they do show interest in Jennings, but saying there's no way do we match what "Miami will offer" is jumping the gun a little bit.

Yeah. It's a little interesting that TT doesn't even like many of his own players by the time they reach 30, let alone somebody else's where you have scheme/chemistry unknowns. In MIA, we have have a product of the Packer organization at head coach. If you were to conclude his philosophy is influenced at all by the Packer experience, it would be to steer away from a Jennings-type player at the money that's been bandied about (or even half the highest figures suggested). Besides, how much influence does a guy with exactly one year of NFL head coaching experience have in the personnel decisions? A voice? You'd expect so. Decision making? Highly doubtful.

And for all we know, Philbin has concluded that Jennings would not look like the same player with a lesser QB. It's a conjecture either way.

The Packer connection and a ton of cap space makes MIA a vaguely plausible rumor. However, for every 10 of these interesting conjectures every off season, only 1 or none seem to pan out. They have about the same reliability as pre-Combine mock drafts.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we draft a big time WR, why not?
Because WR, along with QB, are our two positions of least need. This forum is filled with rants about how bad the defense is and you want us to draft another Megatron? That's first round pick type of material. You don't find those guys by scraping the free agency bone yards.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Because WR, along with QB, are our two positions of least need. This forum is filled with rants about how bad the defense is and you want us to draft another Megatron? That's first round pick type of material. You don't find those guys by scraping the free agency bone yards.

Ummm.....we have 8 draft picks dude? how many do we need for defense...is this another 2012 draft???....I would say 5....so 3 for offense, why not make one of them a big target, it's something we don't have.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

Hint:
Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Marcus Davis. One of these things is not like the others.

sure do: someone who can run routes, catch, and has speed (cobb,nelson, jones all fit that)......so your little "hint" is pointless. Do you even watch college ball? or read about college players? Guess you dont. Davis will go in a late enough round for us to have gotten other needs taken care of, by then it will be time to make up for the lose of jennings, that is a need for us in this draft, why not pick up someone of that type of status.....maybe not exactly davis, but someone similar. You said Davis does not RAC? LOL more proof you don't know what your speaking of......read below, a short review of him.....51 rec for 953 seems like some running after the catch was involved there buddy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4. Weight: 232.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2013): 3-5.
2/16/13: Davis is a big wide out who has some speed and explosiveness. He was the Hokies No. 1 receiver in 2012 and would have even more production if quarterback Logan Thomas wasn't struggling with his accuracy all season. Davis hauled in 51 receptions for 953 yards and five touchdowns.

Davis was a backup to Danny Coale and Jarrett Boykin over the past few years. Davis had 30 catches for 510 yards and five touchdowns in 2011. He made 19 receptions for 239 yards and two touchdowns in 2010 as a sophomore.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
sure do: someone who can run routes, catch, and has speed (cobb,nelson, jones all fit that)......so your little "hint" is pointless. Do you even watch college ball? or read about college players? Guess you dont. Davis will go in a late enough round for us to have gotten other needs taken care of, by then it will be time to make up for the lose of jennings, that is a need for us in this draft, why not pick up someone of that type of status.....maybe not exactly davis, but someone similar. You said Davis does not RAC? LOL more proof you don't know what your speaking of......read below, a short review of him.....51 rec for 953 seems like some running after the catch was involved there buddy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4. Weight: 232.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2013): 3-5.
2/16/13: Davis is a big wide out who has some speed and explosiveness. He was the Hokies No. 1 receiver in 2012 and would have even more production if quarterback Logan Thomas wasn't struggling with his accuracy all season. Davis hauled in 51 receptions for 953 yards and five touchdowns.

Davis was a backup to Danny Coale and Jarrett Boykin over the past few years. Davis had 30 catches for 510 yards and five touchdowns in 2011. He made 19 receptions for 239 yards and two touchdowns in 2010 as a sophomore.
We also like WR who can block. Cobb is the only guy at WR who didn't fit that bill, and he's at least willing. Yes, I watch college ball, and unlike someone in this discussion I've actually watched the Hokies. Not alot of those yards were after catch. Also look at the splits and who the games were against. He and Fuller both are pretty much done as soon as they get caught the first time. I also don't see anything in your review that says anything more than "outruns a guy to catch the ball." He gets great separation, I'll give him that.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm.....we have 8 draft picks dude? how many do we need for defense...is this another 2012 draft???....I would say 5....so 3 for offense, why not make one of them a big target, it's something we don't have.
Ummm....because the kind of receiver your talking about doesn't come in the mid-to-late rounds. I really don't see any reason for Green Bay to waste a high pick on a receiver. Difference of opinion

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
the guy i am speaking of DOES indeed come in mid to late rounds, read the projections, they have normally been close if not dead on. A 3rd-4th-5th round pick on a WR is about right, you can still get quality.
I agree on difference of opinion, but we do need a jennings replacement, like it or not, he will be missed.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We also like WR who can block. Cobb is the only guy at WR who didn't fit that bill, and he's at least willing. Yes, I watch college ball, and unlike someone in this discussion I've actually watched the Hokies. Not alot of those yards were after catch. Also look at the splits and who the games were against. He and Fuller both are pretty much done as soon as they get caught the first time. I also don't see anything in your review that says anything more than "outruns a guy to catch the ball." He gets great separation, I'll give him that.

Well then, if you indeed do watch VT ball, you would know what you were talking about, but since you don't I have NO faith in you watching VT football. Sorry, you have not convinced me otherwise. You wouldn't even need to read what I copied from a college review because you would have already know that, I did it because you obiously dont.

I can AGREE with you that all teams would love a WR who can toss out a good block down field, on the packers, that is not what our WR's do best......they do what their title involves....RECIEVING. That is what your main purpose is, down field blocking can be improved upon as you progress over time. Hell, look at our high paid TE Finley, he can't block for **** and he is supposed to more often than a WR.

FACT IS: Like it or not, we need a replacement for jennings, his presence will be missed. We need to take care of out D line needs, O line need, Center need, ILB need, and a WR need. It's not going to be to much to ask for a 4th or maybe 5th round WR of quality, TT seems to have a nose for finding these guys. What would it hurt to give the NFL's best QB a solid size target? His only other big target has a bad case of pan hands at the worst times (fin)

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Point about 8 draft picks and obviously not all will go for defense. I didn't realize Davis was projected for 3rd to 5th round. Getting him in round 4 or 5 seems pretty good to me. He also seems capable of being a hybrid like Finley - who I wouldn't mind seeing gone. We kept 6 wideouts last year. I could see keeping Ross, Boykin, and Davis or somebody similar in addition to the new big three. I also would like to see somewhere 3rd to 6th the Packers to grab a big more conventional type TE - 6'6" + - no more than average speed required, but a nice target who wouldn't drop it like Finley.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting a potential WR to groom in the 3rd-5th. Just don't want to invest one in the first 2 rounds with our other needs.

We have a great #1-#3 with Nelson, Cobb, and Jones. They're all so close together that you could really rank them in any order. The problem is the huge dropoff after that.

I'm willing to give Boykin a shot to see what he can do, but we can't assume anything about him yet. So far he's brought 5 catches and a good pre-season to the table. We'll need to see a lot more than that to know if he can be a good #4.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just doesn't seem plausible that the Packers have been so lucky to get so many great wide receivers. Rodgers has a lot to do with it.

Of course he does, he makes his receivers better but at the same time i don't think the group will be the same without Jennings unless we can find another Cobb. People fail to realize how much pressure Jennings took off the other three guy's.

Reaction score

Hint:

Jordy is white ? You racist :eek:
idk - Big Tall Guy with Hands that can run routes - this Marcus kid had his arms chopped off by drug cartels or something ?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WE don't know if Miami is interested? How in the world can you post that? Of course they are. They need a $1 WR and Jenning is one of those.
You don't have to be a GM or otherwise to recognize that it's obvious Miami has it's eye on him. Do YOU work for an NFL team to tell me otherwise? Didn't think so, so I'll speculate away if it's okay with you adambr.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...nings-joe-philbin-reunion-reportedly-unlikely

So is it still obvious to everyone that Miami has it's eye on Jennings and I can't think for one second that Philbin isn't thinking about him?

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the guy i am speaking of DOES indeed come in mid to late rounds, read the projections, they have normally been close if not dead on. A 3rd-4th-5th round pick on a WR is about right, you can still get quality.
I agree on difference of opinion, but we do need a jennings replacement, like it or not, he will be missed.
If that's the case, then great. This entire thread, I was reacting to your call for a "...guy who is not only tall, but strong and speedy...a megatron type guy who can dominate a defense and will require a double coverage."

If someone that meets those qualifications is available in the mid rounds...FANTASTIC. My pessimistic side says that they are hard to find but GB has had success finding them. I hope that you're right. If so I owe you a yard of beer!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
If that's the case, then great. This entire thread, I was reacting to your call for a "...guy who is not only tall, but strong and speedy...a megatron type guy who can dominate a defense and will require a double coverage."

If someone that meets those qualifications is available in the mid rounds...FANTASTIC. My pessimistic side says that they are hard to find but GB has had success finding them. I hope that you're right. If so I owe you a yard of beer!
Are those beers measured end to end or side to side?

M

mayo44

I will probably get fried for saying this, but IMO all of them seem a lot better than they are because of Aaron Rodgers.

I'm not going to fry you, but I would suggest you go back and take a good look at some of the balls that Nelson and Jones have had to "go and get" to haul in the big catch. Neither of them are overrated in any way and are perfectly capable of making all the catches.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to fry you, but I would suggest you go back and take a good look at some of the balls that Nelson and Jones have had to "go and get" to haul in the big catch. Neither of them are overrated in any way and are perfectly capable of making all the catches.

Did I say "overrated"? I just give Rodgers the lion's share of the credit for success in the passing game. To my way of thinking, it is the job of any NFL-quality receiver to beat coverage a good percentage of the time and catch everything with reach virtually 100% of the time. The fact that Nelson and Jones do that means they are good - doing their job. I would stop short of calling them great, though. The QB who puts the ball within reach such a huge percentage of the time, even under duress so disgustingly often, THAT'S Great.

M

mayo44

Did I say "overrated"?

No, you said they seem a lot better than they are, which is about the same thing.

To my way of thinking, it is the job of any NFL-quality receiver to beat coverage a good percentage of the time and catch everything with reach virtually 100% of the time.

If that's the case, then there are actually very, very few NFL-quality receivers in the NFL. The fact is that, more often than not, WRs don't beat coverage the majority of the time. The average WR probably only beats the coverage about 25-35% of the time and I would say that NO NFL WR catches anywhere near 100% of catchable balls. You're essentially saying that in your mind all NFL WRs should be Pro Bowl caliber. But Jones and Nelson both have pretty routinely made some spectacular catches over the last 2 or 3 seasons. So I would say they are both just as good as they seem to be.

The fact that Nelson and Jones do that means they are good - doing their job. I would stop short of calling them great, though.

Why? Nelson was near the top of the NFL in TD catches last year and Jones was this year. You can give the credit to Rodgers if you want, but that makes no sense because the WRs still have to get open and make a lot of difficult catches to get to that level. If that's the case then you have to give most of the credit for C.Johnson's success to Stafford.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts