Let's grade the players ourselves

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's put our own grades on the players:

#1 Jordy Nelson, WR Kansas State

Kind of a surprising pick, I didn't know what to believe, but after seeing clips and reading about him, there's no question he could become a solid WR for this team, hell he might even become a playmaker, he allegedly made plays game in and game out at Kansas as a converted DB, made some spetacular plays passing as he is a former QB. It also seemed like a lot of teams had him as one of the top receivers in the draft, strange for a white guy. Nice speed on him, nice size, nice hands, good long arms, destroyed Aqib Talib. He's also a crisp routerunner. Smart.

Grade: B+

#2 Brian Brohm, QB Louisville

Absolutely loved the pick, in my opinion the top QB in the draft together with Matt Ryan. Well tutored in a WCO at Louisville, one of the top offenses. Does everything well, precise, smart, doesn't make mistakes, adequate arm, can make all the throws, big pocket passer, good leader on the field and our insurance if Rodgers gets injured (knock on wood), fails or ends up a mediocre player.

Grade: A++

#3 Patrick Lee, CB Auburn

Seems like a solid man to man corner, he's physical enough to play our bump 'n' run system and will be a nice protégé for Woodson and Harris, hopefully we will get a better 3rd CB with this guy. I would have wanted Antoine Cason or Brandon Flowers though, we could have got Flowers, but I'm not disappointed with this pick.

Grade: B-

#4 Jermichael Finley, TE Texas

Could be the steal of the draft, perhaps the most talented TE in the draft but is very raw, came out after his sophmore year (?). Seems to have a big nice frame with the possibillity of becoming even larger. Seems a little cocky but not too cocky I hope. Former basketball player, was offered a basketball scholarship but wanted to play football. Catches the ball with his hands and seems to get open, plays tough. Timed speed seems a little slow though.

Grade: B

#5 Jeremy Thompson, DE Wake Forest

From what I've heard he's a talented guy with a great motor. Wasn't a great passrusher in college though but the Packers' scouts thought he hadn't gotten the chance to be one. Was compared to Julius Peppers coming out of highschool. A nice project at DE.

#6 Josh Sitton, OG Central Florida

Seems like a reach to me, he was projected to go undrafted and has had a lot of problems, drunk driving and getting cut all over his body, has ADHD. Don't know if this is a guy we would want on our team, it's up to him to prove me wrong.

Grade: F

#7 Breno Giacomini, OT Louisville

Huge tackle, has technique problems and isn't as strong as you'd expect. Also has been arrested for drunk driving. Questionable pick.

Grade: D

#8 Matt Flynn, QB LSU

Lead his team to a national championship in the wake of Jamarcus Russell. Sat patiently and waited for his chance behind Russell and got it. Made the most of it without many weapons. Seems to have a lot of potential. Good pick in the 7th round, reminds me of Kurt Warner.

#9 Brett Swain, WR, San Diego State

Don't know much about this kid, another white receiver. Seems to have good speed from what I've heard, 4.41 40-time, they say he has good hands. Could make the team as a slot guy. Seems like good value in the 7th, looks like they were afraid he'd be difficult to sign as a UDFA.

Grade: C

Overall draft grade: B

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1: Incomplete.
Round 2: Incomplete.
Round 3: Incomplete.
Round 4: Incomplete.
Round 5: Incomplete.
Round 6: A+ for Ryan Grant.
Round 7: Incomplete.

Sorry. Not making fun - I just think that grading players before they've played is a futile endeavor.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry. Not making fun - I just think that grading players before they've played is a futile endeavor.

:agree:

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers had a fairly good draft. Jordy Nelson is a great WR, and one that I was expecting to slip a little lower. But it doesn't surprise me that he was taken when he was, and it shows that GB did a good job of scouting some of the lesser known names.

Getting Brohm was a steal. Both Henne's and Brohm's stock dropped once Minnesota and Chicago passed on them. Not because hey are not good QBs, but because the two teams with the biggest need at QB elected to go other routes, and there were not really any teams with holes at QB for a while. Brohm is obviously the better of the two, as Henne's stock was based more on his rocket arm than his ability to QB a team. I think Brohm will fall nicely intothe role that Aaron Rodgers occupied the past few years, and will be able to step up and play in the even that Rodgers gets hurt.

I really disagree with Finley being the "steal of the draft." He is a serviceable TE at best. Decent value for the pick, but not a steal by any means.

The two OL pick ups are pretty poor choices, and I doubt they will see anything other than the practice squad.

Overall a good draft by the Pack. I would give it a solid B.

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are those that think Finley might play himself into a top 10 pick next year if he'd stay in college one more year.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't everything we do on an internet chat board futile?

Let's put our own grades on the players:

This pick isn't ****, but it sure is good. It strikes me as a pick to give some security to Rodgers in his first few years. Nelson is a solid dependable type of receiver who can get YAC and make lots of catches. He has the frame to shield the pass from defenders, he runs good routes, he's smart... he's not the type of guy who will leave our young QB out to dry.

Grade: A-

Very high value pick. My only concern is spending a 2nd rounder on "competition" for Rodgers, although we all can agree that we need a decent backup in case of injury. The time of the iron man QB is over in Green Bay, and now our QB position is just as tenuous as every other team in the league. In terms of the player, though, very good pick. Another smart football player who seems to be capable of making the jump to the NFL.

To be honest with you, I'm most concerned about this pick. I research CB's a lot because I felt it was our biggest need, and Lee started off high on my list and then slowly slid down. He is physical and fast, and I love the Auburn defense. He just doesn't seem to have that man-to-man edge that is needed to be successful in the pros. I hope he proves me wrong. Even in the highlight vids, you'll see a lot of the plays he makes are out of sheer luck as he's kind of wandering or giving up on the play.
I do like his physical style though.

Grade: C+

Good player to develop. Has great physical ability, and he's young, so he has the time to learn and grow. Could be a serious weapon.

Going to be our best value pick of this draft. He will get bigger and more explosive, and could supplant KGB at RDE, which I've been pushing for all offseason. Very happy with this pick.

Grade: A-

To be honest, don't know much about him. Seems like a camp body and some competition for the guard spots in case we have to move Colledge out to tackle (if Barbre doesn't develop). Not thrilled about it.1

Another crapshoot with a late round offensive lineman.

#8 Matt Flynn, QB LSU

Could secure the #3 QB position, and therefore would be a fine pick in the 7th round.

Don't really know. Camp body? ST player? He has the speed, but we don't have the roster spot for him. If he's good enough he'll end up on the practice squad.

Grade: C-

Overall draft grade: B

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdowns, Bertram and Mass.

It's hard to get good, thorough analysis of these guys, since they aren't, you know, top 10 picks, which is all anyone in the media will breakdown.

On a sidenote, I saved the re-airs on NFL network of this year's combine, and Mayock had nothing but good things to say about Jordy Nelson. At the end of the day, the analysts were listing players that impressed in the WR group, and Jordy and the kid from Mich. State were the two Mayock threw in as having good days. So that's a plus. :)

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Jordy for 3 years...he is going to light it up...for year in GB!
I am not going to put him the hall of fame just yet...but...oh...what the potenial. He could be amoung the greats at WR...let time take it course.
What pack in black and maylock say is true...This kid blew'em away at the combine...he caught everything they threw...no DROPS!!! He was 2nd in the nation last year in catches and yards...WOW!!! I watched this video of the Texas punt return for 89 yards...at Texas...it was a thing of beauty...It was like the fast Texas players were standing still. GB...be prepared to see a special kid from the heartland. K-State has put out some pretty good players in the last few years...The Chargers have Daren Sproles...a speedy return guy...There are alot of linemen and linebackers for K-State in the NFL...Mark Simoneau...for instance. There are going to be some more ...Josh Freeman...a Junior next year is a six foot six inch QB...who has a gun for an arm...he plays a pro-style spread offense...Oh...the spread offense that GB plays...so...Jordy Nelson is familar with the packers offensive scheme. Again...lets not put him in the hall of fame just yet...but...lets give TT kudos for getting us a high character guy...who will play in GB for years...and TT seems to know what he is doing...even if it doesn't to most fans...even Mortensen of ESPN said yesterday that he doesn't understand TT...but...TT keeps proving him wrong...It will be two years before we can grade this draft...But...I like what I see...on Paper!!!

Go PACK GO!!!

Reaction score
I think it is unfair to not know much about the player (the two OL we selected specifically), and based on that give them a low grade. It might be more fair to list them as incomplete in such an instance.

I think both OL picked were good picks because they build the depth of our OL, which was sorely lacking last year (due to injuries). Tony Moll was hurt quite a bit, while Junius Coston was also hurt Those were the two main back-ups. Adding some more depth to sure up the position was necessary. I'm not going to grade them though, I don't do the whole grading after the draft thing (I do like to read the opinions of others that do however, it's entertaining and insightful).

More about Sitton:
- PFW says Sitton is big, smart (25 on Wonderlic), and athletic, fits the ZBS real well.
- OL coach James Campen said Sitton had a nasty attitude on the field, and once he got his hands on a guy, that guy wasn't going to get free. Anyone remember the NFC Championship game, a play inside the redzone where Jason Spitz was out in front of B-Jack and Spitz got a block on the LB but the LB got free and tackled B-Jack to stop what should've been a TD? Having a OL that seems to be automatic in not letting his man get free once he has his hands on him sure would've come in handy then.

More on Giacomini:
- James Campen said he has great footwork, good enough to play LT at the NFL.
- Campen also said he punches (attacks) well.
- NFL.com says he has great athletic ability, and also keeps knees bent nicely when blocking (in other words, understands leverage)
- Athletic (recruited as basketball player), smart (24 on Wonderlic) and quicker than he is fast. Fits into the ZBS nicely.

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave them low grades because of off-field issues like drunk driving and Sitton reportedly coming to practice all cut up.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On the surface I can understand why this pick might surprise some folks, but given that a lot of the top defensive lineman were off the board, Wide Receiver was a true value pick. Sure We have Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and James Jones, but this pick shows forsight that we may lose a wide receiver at some future date. Remember it takes most wide receivers a few seasons before they hit their stride, so Jordy can come to a club that can ease him into the rotation without that pressure. It also gives Aaron Rodgers another Quality Target, and you can't go wrong with that.

Grade: A+

If the rest of the NFL wants to be idiots and let such a potentially great player fall to the third round, then let them be idiots I say. Brian Brohm is just as good as Rodgers was coming out of college, and he possesses that innate ability to bring leadership in the clutch, and lead the team back from behind. I lost track of how many games this Guy won from behind in the Second half, and all with a very weak defense backing him up. This guy has Elwayesque potential, although he is in no ways as mobile or as fast as Elway. By going to an established club like Green Bay Brian can learn the system at his own pace without rushing him.

Grade: A++

There were a lot of great corners in the draft this year, and the 2nd round sall the Packers take Patrick Lee. He may not be a Cason, Talib, or DRC, but let's be realisitic, Patrick will be a nickel corner at best starting out. With Woodson and Harris likely starting, that means Patrick can learn how to play from two of the best and is added insurance against an injury to either of those two.

The Packers could have had their pick of Tight Ends earlier, but they opted to trade down, Finley is a solid TE, but he will need some time to develop and learn the WCO that Green Bay Uses. However, taking him makes the loss of Franks less of a blow. We don't necessarily need him to do everything right away.

I really thought this pick was a reach, I had at least two DEs rated hire than him including Chris Harrington out of Texas A&M, and Brian Johnson of Garner-Webb. additionally there were other guys on the board that I think would have been higher value than Defensive end, such as Guards: Roy Schuenning, Kory Lichtensteiger, and Tackles like Mike McGlynn, Anthony Collins, Tony Hills. I know we took Josh Sitton with the next pick, but all three of those guys are better in my opinion. Not to mention safety prospects like Craig Seltz from LSU. I think this pick was a mistake plain and simple, and it likely means the next one was bad too.

Sitton is a reach because there were at least two guards better than him. Not to mention that the pack could have had a much better guard in Lichensteiger

Grade: D-

Its hard to grade most 7th Round picks. Nearly all of them are practice or camp fodder. Lousiville's Oline was okay last year, but it wasn't spectacular. I have great misgivings about this pick, Especially given we could have had a better tackle at the previous pick in Carl NIcks of Nebraska.

Grade: F

#8 Matt Flynn, QB LSU

This is a throw away pick. Matt Flynn is not going to make the team, least of all beating out Brohm in the long run. I realize we needed another Quarterback, but Flynn is not who we need. I'd have prefered taking someone like Paul Smith of Tulsa over Flynn.

Grade: C

Another Throw Away pick. the odds of this guy making the roster after adding Jordy Nelson are Nil. No way does he beat out Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Jones, or the guys we already have behind him. He may be a good receiver, but you can only field so many on any given play and we are not the New England Patriots. What we should have done was drafted a Running Back here. Someone like Patrick Allen of Oklahoma or Carl Stewart of Auburn.

Overall draft grade: C-[/quote]

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. I enjoy reading draft grades, as long as they are accompanied by informed opinion. I take them with a grain of salt, but they are still interesting to read.

A lot of people (not just here) think Ted reached for those O-linemen. Maybe he wanted to take some chances with those picks because other than Clifton, Tauscher, and maybe Wells, our current O-linemen are all mediocre. So rather than drafting typical mediocre fourth round O-linemen, he decided to take a chance on a couple who are not solid right now but just might be turn out to be special.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Exactly. I enjoy reading draft grades, as long as they are accompanied by informed opinion. I take them with a grain of salt, but they are still interesting to read.

A lot of people (not just here) think Ted reached for those O-linemen. Maybe he wanted to take some chances with those picks because other than Clifton, Tauscher, and maybe Wells, our current O-linemen are all mediocre. So rather than drafting typical mediocre fourth round O-linemen, he decided to take a chance on a couple who are not solid right now but just might be turn out to be special.

Its not so much that he reached on those two picks, I felt the pick of Thompson was a bit early, and if they had not taken him they could have had a tackle and a guard that were rated as 2nd and 3rd Round Talent easily.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Can you really call a 6th and a 7th round pick a reach? They are all for the most part either troubled or developmental type picks.

The more I read on Josh Sitton.. the more I like the pick. Does he have some concerns with health, more mental then physical, yes that seems to be the case. But for everything I have read, as one of the Packers coaching staff put it, he doesn't get beat, he gets the job done. Lunchpale type player, think a younger Frankie-bag-of-doughnuts.

Will he work out? Who knows, where there better value picks that might have made the roster at a different position? Probably, but this draft class, IMO, wasn't very deep in terms of offensive lineman. To the point that teams were really reaching in the early stages of this draft trying to get a couple lineman.

My opinion on lineman, is if they have decent feet, serviceable size and have learned to play with leverage, the rest of points of the game can be taught. At least in the case of Sitton.. he has the above.. I am anxious to see what they bring to camp. Green Bay is prime pickins for a youngester to steal a spot on the interior of the Oline, we all know that beyond Wells and Spitz, the interior lacks any consistent performers week in and out. And that might be a stretch on Spitz playing as well.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess an incomplete grade on the O-lineman would be fine. It just seems like we always toss a few late round picks at O-lineman every year (although we probably don't.. just feels that way).

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two words regarding the O-line: Allen Barbre.

I got the impression that the staff liked the kid last year, and he was drafted with the intent of being more of a project. I just have this hunch that he'll step it up big time this offseason, and make the starting five.

OP
OP
B

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will too, he looked impressive last year for a rookie 4th rounder. Especially coming from a small school.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed, but hats off to Bertram for actually taking a step forward and doing it.

The A++ for Brohm may be excessive, and the F for Sutton bothers me, because he might be right. Overall, I'd be satisfied with a B draft. We got 9 picks. That adds depth, and depth starts mattering around game 13 or 14 and especially in the Playoffs (which we should make this year).

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main problem and reason I feel they are reaches is because I felt there were better O Line players on the board with those later round picks.

Members online

Latest posts