Let's Fix This Mess !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Time to be Upset !!!

I, like many of you really thought our team ( even though in obvious rebuild mode ) should be better than this right now. Rebuilding is one thing but that does not mean we should be 4 and 8 with blow outs like we had today against the Jets. There has been a lot of finger pointing as of late on this forum and I guess that is human nature when things go as bad as they are going for us right now; but let's point the fingers in the "right" directions and be realistic about this situation at the same time.

Finger point # 1 - The Defense: Bad !!!

This is where we Rank at the moment:

32 In points allowed with 26 per game

25 In yards allowed with 344.6 per game

29 In yards allowed passing with 232.7 per game

16 In yards allowed rushing with 111.9 per game

17 (tie) In takeaways with 18

An argument can be made alone about how a D that was improving has actually gotten worse however I would be happy if this was recognized as the #1 problem in our game. Speaking of the D impact:

Finger Point #2- The QB: Wrong !!!

Anyone who wants to put the blame on Brett need only look at the Chicago Bears record of 10 and 2 who have Grossman for a QB. Grossman went 6 for 19 for 34 yards and 3 interceptions and 0 Touch Downs today and the Bears still won. The Bears had 34 Total yards of passing and 92 total yards of rushing this game. Look, I am only making this analogy as we seem to analyze Brett to death sometimes and scrutinize every single mistake. When your Team is good ( Bears example ) a less than mediocre QB has been adequate enough to get them to 10 and 2. When your Team has many needs of improvement ( us for example ) Brett playing at his Peak could not turn this team around and neither could Manning now. Let's lay off the QB as we have bigger issues to address and are actually very fortunate in my opinion.

Realistic # 1- Youngest Team in the League : Right !!!

We have had some fine performances out of Hawk and Jennings to name a couple of outstanding young rookies but as the youngest team in the league; it is only natural that it will take time to gel and be consistent. Most of the 'few" big plays we had today came from the vets like Driver, Green, Woodson and Brett ( I would hate to have seen the final score without these guys today) Enough Said.

Finger Point #3 - Coaching ?

This is one area that I am still unsure of as of yet. I do not like the way MM continues to stick "at times" with our Run game when the run game is obviously not the answer as of yet; however, we are limited in the number of quality receivers for Brett to utilize so I am still undecided on his game planning in general.

Bottom Line: Whether we Like it or not:

We are the youngest team in the NFL with an inconsistent / improving O line and a Rookie Head Coach. Things will take time to gel but let's pray like hell that TT finds a way to get the Vets like Brett, Driver, Green and Woodson back for next year because this team needs all the experience it can get to help it's younger players learn how to succeed. Get us another experienced receiver for Brett to utilize and work on our biggest problem area of all, the D.

I don't know how it got to this state but it's time to get back to the top and more youth in the QB position will only make things worse. Thanks for listening to my rant !!!

:soapbox:

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Time to be Upset !!!

Finger point # 1 - The Defense: Bad !!!

This is where we Rank at the moment:

32 In points allowed with 26 per game

25 In yards allowed with 344.6 per game

29 In yards allowed passing with 232.7 per game

16 In yards allowed rushing with 111.9 per game

17 (tie) In takeaways with 18

An argument can be made alone about how a D that was improving has actually gotten worse however I would be happy if this was recognized as the #1 problem in our game. Speaking of the D impact:

Finger Point #2- The QB: Wrong !!!

Anyone who wants to put the blame on Brett need only look at the Chicago Bears record of 10 and 2 who have Grossman for a QB. Grossman went 6 for 19 for 34 yards and 3 interceptions and 0 Touch Downs today and the Bears still won. The Bears had 34 Total yards of passing and 92 total yards of rushing this game. Look, I am only making this analogy as we seem to analyze Brett to death sometimes and scrutinize every single mistake. When your Team is good ( Bears example ) a less than mediocre QB has been adequate enough to get them to 10 and 2. When your Team has many needs of improvement ( us for example ) Brett playing at his Peak could not turn this team around and neither could Manning now. Let's lay off the QB as we have bigger issues to address and are actually very fortunate in my opinion.

:soapbox:
part of the reason for the defensive struggles is because once they get off the field a turnover, like a favre int, puts them right back on the field while the defense needs to play better they do need some help from the offense to help keep them off the field

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you see Grossman's stats today rundemc ? Just asking because he was 6/19 34 Yards 0 TD 3 INT 1.32 Rating and the Bears still won !!! And I know we are not the Bears but I think you get my point !!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you see Grossman's stats today rundemc ? Just asking because he was 6/19 34 Yards 0 TD 3 INT 1.32 Rating and the Bears still won !!! And I know we are not the Bears but I think you get my point !!

You are right.
Grossman stunk it up again but the Bears have a lot of other players that make a differance every Sunday.
You cannot give up 30 points every week while not getting your share of turnovers. That is going to give you a losing season every time.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well brad johnson played just as bad that helped grossman out a lot too
uve still have to put something together on offense to help get the d off the field its not just favre they need to run the ball better too but u just cant keep handing the ball back to the other offense and expect the defense to constantly stop them

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the "youngest team in the NFL" excuse. These guys are getting worse, not better. TT should fire Sanders and Shottenlamer this week.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the "youngest team in the NFL" excuse. These guys are getting worse, not better. TT should fire Sanders and Shottenlamer this week.

Who should he bring in to do the job? Not trying to argue or play devil's advocate, just wondering who you think he could bring in at week 13(?) that knows our system or would be able to change things around before next week enough to make a difference.

Let me say it for everyone - Bates... But since that won't be happening - who?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:

Who should he bring in to do the job? Not trying to argue or play devil's advocate, just wondering who you think he could bring in at week 13(?) that knows our system or would be able to change things around before next week enough to make a difference.

Let me say it for everyone - Bates... But since that won't be happening - who?

I'd fire them, but let them finish the season.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Titans are just as young as the Packers while starting a rookie QB and they are not making excuses.
They just beat the Giants and Colts back to back and are now 5-7.
They lost to the Colts 14-13 in week 5 and 13-10 to Miami in week 3.
Instead of moping about it and thinking of the draft they are trying to make a statement that they can play with anyone.

They let McNair go because they were ready to start looking towards the future.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:

The Titans are just as young as the Packers while starting a rookie QB and they are not making excuses.
Instead of moping about it and thinking of the draft they are trying to make a statement that they can play with anyone.

Yeah and the 12 million dollars Mcnair was set to inherit had something to do with it as well. Btw, McNair isn't on the level of Brett Favre as far as legends in a town go.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"They let McNair go because they were ready to start looking towards the future"

And McNair seems to be better off for it !!!

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uve still have to put something together on offense to help get the d off the field its not just favre they need to run the ball better too but u just cant keep handing the ball back to the other offense and expect the defense to constantly stop them

You are right my friend. If I am reading you right, you are saying we need better offense as well. I believe are running game is still not where it needs to be ( Green needs more holes for a start ) and are passing game lacks at least one more quality receiver who can go deep. We def have offensive problems as well !!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Since69 said:

Yeah and the 12 million dollars Mcnair was set to inherit had something to do with it as well. Btw, McNair isn't on the level of Brett Favre as far as legends in a town go.

The Titans are not worried about catering to a legends ego or reliving the past so their fans can remember back to 2000 and they were in the Super Bowl. They are moving forward as a team. They traded McNair to a contending team and that was the best thing for both the Titans and McNair.
They were not going to the playoffs with McNair just like the Packers are not going to the playoffs with Favre.
They are better than the Packer right now while Vince Young is getting real live NFL experience every week.

That 12 million dollar figure sounds familiar. How much does Brett Favre make a year? Surely that money is not bringing them victories. Brett Favre is 5 years older than McNair by the way.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Philtration said:
Since69 said:

The Titans are not worried about catering to a legends ego or reliving the past so their fans can remember back to 2000 and they were in the Super Bowl. They are moving forward as a team. They traded McNair to a contending team and that was the best thing for both the Titans and McNair.
They were not going to the playoffs with McNair just like the Packers are not going to the playoffs with Favre.
They are better than the Packer right now while Vince Young is getting real live NFL experience every week.

That 12 million dollar figure sounds failure. How much does Brett Favre make a year? Surely that money is not bringing them victories. Brett Favre is 5 years older than McNair by the way.

Catering to a legends ego? Sure...that's exactly what it is...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Cory said:
Philtration said:
Since69 said:

That 12 million dollar figure sounds failure. How much does Brett Favre make a year? Surely that money is not bringing them victories. Brett Favre is 5 years older than McNair by the way.

Catering to a legends ego? Sure...that's exactly what it is...

What do you call it?
There are fans all across the country who see it as just that.
The whole will I stay or will I go routine every year. To afraid to tell Favre that they are ready to move on and offer to send him to a team that was close and just needed a QB who has been there before.
To afraid to let Favre sit during a blow out so Rodgers could get a few snaps in a real game against a real NFL defense.

I am not the one who brought up Favre being a legend in a town instead of what is best for the Green Bay Packers as a team. What is more important? The Packers or Brett Favre?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not the one who brought up Favre being a legend in a town instead of what is best for the Green Bay Packers as a team. What is more important? The Packers or Brett Favre?[/color]

Favre, obviously

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you call it?
There are fans all across the country who see it as just that.
The whole will I stay or will I go routine every year. To afraid to tell Favre that they are ready to move on and offer to send him to a team that was close and just needed a QB who has been there before.
To afraid to let Favre sit during a blow out so Rodgers could get a few snaps in a real game against a real NFL defense.

You were the one who brought up Favre being a legend in a town instead of what is best for the Green Bay Packers as a team. What is more important? The Packers or Brett Favre?

What do I call what? The fact that Brett is playing? You call it catering to a legend. I call it Brett trying to play football. You think he came back believing this team was a playoff team? How exactly are they "catering" to him when they in fact draft a QB in the first round. They've also told him they want him back, but he needs to make his decision much earlier this offseason. Too "afraid" to get Rodgers snaps? Are you serious? What makes them "afraid" to do anything? How do you come to the conclusion it's all out of "fear"....Brett has come out of many games to let the backups play even ending streaks like the TD per game in a row streak in 2004.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
I am not the one who brought up Favre being a legend in a town instead of what is best for the Green Bay Packers as a team. What is more important? The Packers or Brett Favre?[/color]

Favre, obviously

After reading the comments here for the last two seasons I can see that some people here see it that way.

You have to let go at some point.
I saw Walter Payton, **** Butkus, Gale Sayers and Michael Jordan among others end their careers here and the fans did not expect them to give us more than they had already done.
They gave us more than enough and we were grateful that we got to see it.

How many championships have the Yankees won after players like Ruth, Gering, DiMaggio and Mantle called it quits?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading the comments here for the last two seasons I can see that some people here see it that way.

I saw Walter Payton, **** Butkus, Gale Sayers and Michael Jordan among others end their careers here and the fans did not expect them to give us more than they had already done.

How many championships have the Yankees won after players like Ruth, Gering, DiMaggio and Mantle called it quits?

Zero? Yeah.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Favre, obviously

So, with all the D stats posted above, the fact that we have a Rookie O-Line thats still learning, a Rookie Head Coach, the Youngest team in the NFL and a running game that's not working yet....Some of you really do believe that the problem is Favre :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, with all the D stats posted above, the fact that we have a Rookie O-Line thats still learning, a Rookie Head Coach, the Youngest team in the Leauge and a running game that's not working yet....Some of you really do believe that the problem is Favre :thumbsup:

I was just kidding. Perhaps I need a sandwich to strengthen my biting wit

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Zero? Yeah.

7 since Mantle left.
23 after Ruth was gone.
I guess that they were not big stars in New York like Brett Favre is in Wisconsin eh?
They should have just folded in 1934 because their hero was gone just like some of the Packer fans are waiting to do. Jump off of that band wagon and start a site called Favreforum.com. Too weird.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration

I don't think you will find too many "bandwagon" fans here after these last two seasons !!!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Philtration said:

Zero? Yeah.

7 since Mantle left.
23 after Ruth was gone.
I guess that they were not big stars in New York like Brett Favre is in Wisconsin eh?
They should have just folded in 1934 because their hero was gone just like some of the Packer fans are waiting to do. Jump off of that band wagon and start a site called Favreforum.com. Too weird.

What in the WORLD are you talking about? Your anology makes 0 sense. Please find me a Packer fan that feels we will never win a championship AGAIN after Favre retires. If you want to use a better example Id say the Niners after Montana would make more sense.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My worse fear is slowly starting to take place. I accepted the fact that Ted Thompson received a team that was in cap hell and it needed to be fixed. I also understand the idea of rebuilding and bringing in a youth movement. Favre has flirted with retirement for several seasons and the chances of one last run were slim to none.

With all that said my fear was Ted Thompson bringing in a disaster himself. I'm not saying some of the players he's brought in are all awful. It's about 50-50 but it's becoming more and more apparent that he may of screwed up with McCarthy. That's a setback. I was never an Aaron Rodgers fan either. I'm still willing to give him time but he hasn't come close to winning me over.

So my optimism is really down on this team. I said from the get go I think 3 years is fair and it's more than enough time to give this guy a shot to build his team but if I was forced to put money on next year I'd put GB below 500 again without hesitation and without seeing the off season. I hope if things don't get better by next year then hopefully our new president Mr. Jones (I think that's his name) will make a change.

Members online

Latest posts