1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Let Finley become a Free Agent

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Feb 5, 2012.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,619 / 77 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    2 a days, practices and the like and 17 weeks didnt fix that?

It isnt like he had trouble 1st 10 games of the year then got better..

If anything he started to get drops as season went on, so the argument that ota and mini camps is really not valid then.

So again tell me how ota and mini camps would have helped him when the middle of the season, he got worse
  2. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    He had a lot of drops this year. I know I got frustrated with him. Maybe another year will be helpful.
  3. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175 / 2 / -0

just going off experience, OTA's help you more DOWN THE STRETCH with timing and most of all conditioning. I think its fairly clear that most of the football players didn't do conditioning up to an NFL level during the off-season and that effects you way more later in the season then in the beginning. I think what we saw with Finley mostly had to do with conditioning. Look at tape from the beginning of the season and at the end. He was hardly getting separation from linebackers when in man coverage later in the year. He is still good at finding zones and making catches but OTA's definitely help there is no question about it. I don't look at them as a huge reason for his drops but it is a small contributing factor, pretty small though considering he is a professional.
  4. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +836 / 18 / -5
    Timing is everything. Go to packers.com
  5. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    Per rotoworld: "Finley dropped 13 of his 103 targets (12.62 percent) in 2011."

And thank you for not answering the questions and just restating that "that's EXACTLY" what OTA's are for.
  6. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    That's what I've been saying. If no OTA's and lack of practice is the excuse some people are going with, then why did the drops continue into the playoffs? Preseason plus 17 games aren't enough practice?
  7. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    Stats, Inc. says 11 drops.

What question? BTW, I think you need to take a deep breath and settle down a little.
  8. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    You honestly don't know the difference in OTAs and minicamps and regular practices, do you? Training camp is primarily about installing the offense and defense and the TEAM to play together correctly, they are NOT about individual drills. Practices through the season are spent preparing specifically for the next opponent.

Again, I'm not sure why you keep taking the position that practices for professional athletes are a waste of time.
  9. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,619 / 77 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    So when I went to GB in Aug, and sat outside the fence..I didnt see the q/b tossing balls into a net??

I didnt see rb go through a line that hit them with foam pads while they ran with a ball?

I didnt see wr try to catch balls on the other end from a jugs machine?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    Not excited at all big guy. I'm not the one who keeps finding it necessary CAPITALIZE random words in posts.
  11. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    Please see Post #109
  12. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +580 / 31 / -20
    :tup:
  13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,619 / 77 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_camp_(National_Football_League)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-camp

14. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,619 / 77 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Do we really need to argue about this? Unless anyone has 1st hand knowledge..................

I am going to call in a favor to someone...

Will post it
  15. Rocky11

Rocky11 Superbowl bound Pack

Ratings:
    +61 / 4 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    No matter what the count. His drops always seemed to be at the wrong times.
  16. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,078 / 51 / -37
    “Drops” are a subjective stat. It’s sometimes a close call when apportioning blame for an incompletion between the QB and the receiver. However, I think both sides of this argument agree Finley dropped too many passes this past season. I think Finley agrees with that, too.

No matter what you think about OTAs, training camp and practice, here’s something I think all of us can agree upon. Since it is extremely likely Finley will continue to be a Packer, can we all agree he will have no excuses next season?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Croak

Croak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +954 / 11 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not sure on a couple of counts. I don't agree that it is extremely likely Finley will continue to be a Packer. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he goes to a team where he is the big shot with big money. I also question whether TT is committed to him.

And fwiw, 10% of passes dropped, doesn't seem that bad. It means that 90% of the time he catches the ball. It's just *which* passes he dropped that stung the Packers.
  18. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,078 / 51 / -37
    Croak, although as I said the stat is subjective, didn't Finley lead ALL TEs in drops?

I think it's likely Finley will remain a Packer based mostly upon McCarthy's statements about him. McCarthy's statements answer what I see as many fans main criticism of Finley - his attitude. IMO it's not a sure thing but is extremely likely.
  19. Croak

Croak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +954 / 11 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I hope your optimism proves true. But TT is the master of the bargain and I don't see Finley going for a bargain.
  20. BSchujasNYG

BSchujasNYG Giants Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    Finley gives you guys a lot of flexibility on offense. He is a great TE, and even though he isn't known for his blocking, doesn't mean you don't have to account for it. Look what the Pats did with just two TEs, they made the SB, and had they possessed a vertical game, they probably beat us.
  21. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +378 / 29 / -5
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'd like to keep Finley but at a reasonable price. He did have several dropped passes this year that hit him on his hands. es he wants to get paid as a WR,then he needs to start catching more balls. If he wants 9M & Packers offer 6M then settle on 7M w/1M in bonus. To quote Bilichick...Do your job
  22. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +378 / 29 / -5
    Packer Fan Since:
    We also need to get a running game going as well. If we don't take a RB in the draft or in FA this year we need to do so next year
  23. Sirscorps

Sirscorps Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    GB will sign Finley & they'd be stupid not to do so, plus, I believe that Finley really wants to stay in GB. The team has plenty of money under the cap & w/Clifton, H. Green, Driver & some others being gone or taking a pay cut, that will free up even more money. The new CBA helps as well so teams aren't giving away boatloads of money to 1st round picks anymore either. I wouldn't be shocked if GB asked Woodson to take a pay cut either if it's going to help the team, his skills are in decline as well & his play could really drop off @ anytime, you never know. Look @ Aaron Brooks, Curtis Martin, KGB, Eugene robinson, Earl Campbell, Isaac Bruce, Donovan McNabb, etc...
  24. Sirscorps

Sirscorps Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Who's going to replace Finley who'll be just as effective? Finley is a threat & GB doesn't have a TE that can do the same things that Finley can. I like Quarless & he is somewhat proven but the others aren't close to be starter material. As ron Wolf once said, you want to have as many play-makers as you can get & Finley, even w/his drops, is a play-maker. Also, considering all of the weapons that GB has on offense, Finley put up very impressive numbers (55- 767- 13.9- 8) in only 13 games. Some starting Wr's don't even average 13.9 yds. per catch (which is pathetic.)! & finally, Finley won't even be 25 yrs. old until March (he entered the draft as a 3rd soph.), so he still has quite a bit of upside yet.
  25. Croak

Croak Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +954 / 11 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think many of us have learned that TT is unconventional if anything when it comes to letting good players go.