Let Finley become a Free Agent

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't he say his timing with Aaron was off all year? I don't think you need an off season to remember how to or continue to be able to catch a ball but it could have effected the timing. The last time Rodgers had thrown to him he was probably a step faster with a good knee. After the injury its possible that he lost a step and that his cuts are slightly different. That coupled with a mental block could be the root of the issue. I think it can be fixed though.

2 a days, practices and the like and 17 weeks didnt fix that?

It isnt like he had trouble 1st 10 games of the year then got better..

If anything he started to get drops as season went on, so the argument that ota and mini camps is really not valid then.

So again tell me how ota and mini camps would have helped him when the middle of the season, he got worse

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
He had a lot of drops this year. I know I got frustrated with him. Maybe another year will be helpful.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It isnt like he had trouble 1st 10 games of the year then got better..

If anything he started to get drops as season went on, so the argument that ota and mini camps is really not valid then.

So again tell me how ota and mini camps would have helped him when the middle of the season, he got worse

just going off experience, OTA's help you more DOWN THE STRETCH with timing and most of all conditioning. I think its fairly clear that most of the football players didn't do conditioning up to an NFL level during the off-season and that effects you way more later in the season then in the beginning. I think what we saw with Finley mostly had to do with conditioning. Look at tape from the beginning of the season and at the end. He was hardly getting separation from linebackers when in man coverage later in the year. He is still good at finding zones and making catches but OTA's definitely help there is no question about it. I don't look at them as a huge reason for his drops but it is a small contributing factor, pretty small though considering he is a professional.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't have 13 drops. He had 11. Drops are fixable. That's EXACTLY what OTAs and mini camps are about.

Per rotoworld: "Finley dropped 13 of his 103 targets (12.62 percent) in 2011."

And thank you for not answering the questions and just restating that "that's EXACTLY" what OTA's are for.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's what I've been saying. If no OTA's and lack of practice is the excuse some people are going with, then why did the drops continue into the playoffs? Preseason plus 17 games aren't enough practice?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's what I've been saying. If no OTA's and lack of practice is the excuse some people are going with, then why did the drops continue into the playoffs? Preseason plus 17 games aren't enough practice?

You honestly don't know the difference in OTAs and minicamps and regular practices, do you? Training camp is primarily about installing the offense and defense and the TEAM to play together correctly, they are NOT about individual drills. Practices through the season are spent preparing specifically for the next opponent.

Again, I'm not sure why you keep taking the position that practices for professional athletes are a waste of time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You honestly don't know the difference in OTAs and minicamps and regular practices, do you? Training camp is primarily about installing the offense and defense and the TEAM to play together correctly, they are NOT about individual drills. Practices through the season are spent preparing specifically for the next opponent.

Again, I'm not sure why you keep taking the position that practices for professional athletes are a waste of time.

So when I went to GB in Aug, and sat outside the fence..I didnt see the q/b tossing balls into a net??

I didnt see rb go through a line that hit them with foam pads while they ran with a ball?

I didnt see wr try to catch balls on the other end from a jugs machine?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please see Post #109

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So when I went to GB in Aug, and sat outside the fence..I didnt see the q/b tossing balls into a net??

I didnt see rb go through a line that hit them with foam pads while they ran with a ball?

I didnt see wr try to catch balls on the other end from a jugs machine?

:tup:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Training_camp_(National_Football_League)

Training camp is used in several different ways. New players and coaches use it to acclimate themselves to new teammates, new systems, and weather since training camps begin in the hot days of summer.

Young players use the time to prove that they can become starters. Veterans use the time to prove they can still handle the workload.

Training camp is divided into several different components. The first is scrimmages. These are pseudo-games where teams run nearly full games' worth of plays. Sometimes, two practice sessions are held on the same day. This concept is referred to as two-a-days.

Other parts of training camp include drills, meetings with coaches and other players at one's position, weight training, and pre-season games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-camp

Mini-camps are geared toward getting the newly drafted rookies acclimated to the NFL playing schemes. It also gives coaches and team administrators the chance to see their new players in action learning plays from their new team's playbook. Several veteran players of each team will also attend mini-camp to refresh their skills and get acquainted with the new players coming in.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Do we really need to argue about this? Unless anyone has 1st hand knowledge..................

I am going to call in a favor to someone...

Will post it

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
“Drops” are a subjective stat. It’s sometimes a close call when apportioning blame for an incompletion between the QB and the receiver. However, I think both sides of this argument agree Finley dropped too many passes this past season. I think Finley agrees with that, too.

No matter what you think about OTAs, training camp and practice, here’s something I think all of us can agree upon. Since it is extremely likely Finley will continue to be a Packer, can we all agree he will have no excuses next season?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
“Drops” are a subjective stat. It’s sometimes a close call when apportioning blame for an incompletion between the QB and the receiver. However, I think both sides of this argument agree Finley dropped too many passes this past season. I think Finley agrees with that, too.

No matter what you think about OTAs, training camp and practice, here’s something I think all of us can agree upon. Since it is extremely likely Finley will continue to be a Packer, can we all agree he will have no excuses next season?

I'm not sure on a couple of counts. I don't agree that it is extremely likely Finley will continue to be a Packer. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he goes to a team where he is the big shot with big money. I also question whether TT is committed to him.

And fwiw, 10% of passes dropped, doesn't seem that bad. It means that 90% of the time he catches the ball. It's just *which* passes he dropped that stung the Packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Croak, although as I said the stat is subjective, didn't Finley lead ALL TEs in drops?

I think it's likely Finley will remain a Packer based mostly upon McCarthy's statements about him. McCarthy's statements answer what I see as many fans main criticism of Finley - his attitude. IMO it's not a sure thing but is extremely likely.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Croak, although as I said the stat is subjective, didn't Finley lead ALL TEs in drops?

I think it's likely Finley will remain a Packer based mostly upon McCarthy's statements about him. McCarthy's statements answer what I see as many fans main criticism of Finley - his attitude. IMO it's not a sure thing but is extremely likely.

I hope your optimism proves true. But TT is the master of the bargain and I don't see Finley going for a bargain.

BSchujasNYG

Giants Fan
Reaction score
Finley gives you guys a lot of flexibility on offense. He is a great TE, and even though he isn't known for his blocking, doesn't mean you don't have to account for it. Look what the Pats did with just two TEs, they made the SB, and had they possessed a vertical game, they probably beat us.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Finley but at a reasonable price. He did have several dropped passes this year that hit him on his hands. es he wants to get paid as a WR,then he needs to start catching more balls. If he wants 9M & Packers offer 6M then settle on 7M w/1M in bonus. To quote Bilichick...Do your job

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm well aware that Ted doesn't roll that way, but couldn't an argument be made that we could use the money saved by not signing Finley to sign a proven pass rusher, such as Mario Williams et. al? It's a very distant pipe dream, but it definitely won't happen if we resign Finley and Wells due to cap restraints. Sure, I'd like to keep Finley at a reasonable price. But I'd like that balance on defense you refer to MUCH more. The defense isn't that far away either. One more proven/solid pass rusher and improved communication in the secondary and we could be right back where we were during the Super Bowl run.
We also need to get a running game going as well. If we don't take a RB in the draft or in FA this year we need to do so next year

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB will sign Finley & they'd be stupid not to do so, plus, I believe that Finley really wants to stay in GB. The team has plenty of money under the cap & w/Clifton, H. Green, Driver & some others being gone or taking a pay cut, that will free up even more money. The new CBA helps as well so teams aren't giving away boatloads of money to 1st round picks anymore either. I wouldn't be shocked if GB asked Woodson to take a pay cut either if it's going to help the team, his skills are in decline as well & his play could really drop off @ anytime, you never know. Look @ Aaron Brooks, Curtis Martin, KGB, Eugene robinson, Earl Campbell, Isaac Bruce, Donovan McNabb, etc...

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel its in the best interest of the Franchise to let Finley test Free Agency. For 2 reasons

1. His demands are too high as progress is not being made on his contract according to media reports.

2. If tagged he will lobby to be tagged as a WR. This would make him extremely overpaid. Even being franchised as a TE would make him overpaid.

If TT keeps close contact with Finley and his agent they will get a chance to beat any offer that comes Finleys way. Most likely this will be much less than Jermichael expected. This is the golden era of TEs. Most teams have a decent TE and more than ever many teams have pro bowl level TEs.

At worst he walks, we won without him so I have no doubt we could do it again.

Who's going to replace Finley who'll be just as effective? Finley is a threat & GB doesn't have a TE that can do the same things that Finley can. I like Quarless & he is somewhat proven but the others aren't close to be starter material. As ron Wolf once said, you want to have as many play-makers as you can get & Finley, even w/his drops, is a play-maker. Also, considering all of the weapons that GB has on offense, Finley put up very impressive numbers (55- 767- 13.9- 8) in only 13 games. Some starting Wr's don't even average 13.9 yds. per catch (which is pathetic.)! & finally, Finley won't even be 25 yrs. old until March (he entered the draft as a 3rd soph.), so he still has quite a bit of upside yet.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
GB will sign Finley & they'd be stupid not to do so, plus, I believe that Finley really wants to stay in GB. The team has plenty of money under the cap & w/Clifton, H. Green, Driver & some others being gone or taking a pay cut, that will free up even more money. The new CBA helps as well so teams aren't giving away boatloads of money to 1st round picks anymore either. I wouldn't be shocked if GB asked Woodson to take a pay cut either if it's going to help the team, his skills are in decline as well & his play could really drop off @ anytime, you never know. Look @ Aaron Brooks, Curtis Martin, KGB, Eugene robinson, Earl Campbell, Isaac Bruce, Donovan McNabb, etc...

I think many of us have learned that TT is unconventional if anything when it comes to letting good players go.

Members online

Latest posts