LeRoy Butler: Is it a charity or retirement income?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
http://www.postcrescent.com/article...arity-work-raises-questions-story-video-data-

Long read and some video to go with it. Truthfully, these tax deferred "foundations", I've always felt were a means to skirt around some pretty heavy taxation on these guys. Not just Packers and the State of Wisconsin's fairly high "Entertainers tax" ( http://www.revenue.wi.gov/pubs/pb508.pdf ), which is a tangled and garbled mess.

As for LeRoy, car dealership in Waupaca went under in 2011. Foundation site is still up but announcing 2013 will be the last year. http://www.lbf36.org/index.html

Here's hoping LeRoy doesn't find his keester in a bad place.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember watching some of Butler and Silverstein's videos on jsonline and Leroy would always include a plug for his car dealership. He may mean well with his charitable endeavors, but it seems obvious he's not a very good businessman.

"Going forward, Butler’s energy is focused on a for-profit venture — shooting an anti-bullying documentary he wants to grow into a nationwide campaign called Be a Buddy, Not a Bully. Butler said he hopes to find a sponsor that will cover the documentary’s expenses, allow him to give a $5,000 donation to each school he selects to view the film and provide income for himself so he can hire four staff members."

Leroy may need to utilize all of his anti-bullying techniques if the IRS starts looking into his previous activities.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the best thing you can say about Butler is for about a decade he has acted in an unethical manner regarding his charities. The truth is less charitable: He has violated the law by not filing returns with the IRS.

It’s hard for me to believe he would take an appearance fee from his own “charitable” organization. His concern for the financial welfare of others working on a fund raising event is fine (and he gets a tax benefit for paying them) but listen to his language – if a charity event ‘makes money, if all the people get paid if all the expenses are paid’, then it’s fine for him to take $10K, that otherwise would have gone to those he says he was intending to help.

The best thing I can say about advertising his for-profit business on a website devoted to charity is it is not low class, IMO it’s no-class.

I expected more from him and I hope he is treated the same as any other person who acted in this manner.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
This totally bums me out.. I loved LeRoy Butler,... seriously your supposed to be using your "celebrity" status for the goodness of others when your doing charitable work. I'm hoping this isn't just the beginning of things to come with ex-Packers and their charitable activites...:(

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm hoping LeRoy isn't going to be inventing the Green Bay Correctional Institution Leap!!

Members online

Latest posts