Learning how to win

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that the Packers of the early 90's had to learn to do was to execute to win. As they drafted talent and brought additional talent into the fold through free agency, they needed to learn what it took to get to the next level. To say it another way, no matter what your talent level is, if you don't execute it is very difficult to win. I heard Larry Beightol talk one time about playing the game to win this play. If you win that play, now you try to win the next play.

In the Packers first series they won the first play and didn't win the next three. As this team grows and learns together they're going to learn what it takes to win. One of Holgrens strengths was that he knew how to get a receiver open and he could make the adjustments to beat a defense's strength. What I like about this offensive coaching staff is that they appear to be teaching the right things to get the talent of this offense to win.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that the Packers of the early 90's had to learn to do was to execute to win. As they drafted talent and brought additional talent into the fold through free agency, they needed to learn what it took to get to the next level. To say it another way, no matter what your talent level is, if you don't execute it is very difficult to win. I heard Larry Beightol talk one time about playing the game to win this play. If you win that play, now you try to win the next play.

In the Packers first series they won the first play and didn't win the next three. As this team grows and learns together they're going to learn what it takes to win. One of Holgrens strengths was that he knew how to get a receiver open and he could make the adjustments to beat a defense's strength. What I like about this offensive coaching staff is that they appear to be teaching the right things to get the talent of this offense to win.

True. This will be more apparent in the upcoming weeks. If we don't beat the Cards by 21+ points, I'll be disappointed.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things I want to see Mike McCarthy do is to stop the Barnett foolishness after he makes a play. Everytime he does that it makes him look like he's never made a play before. I would tell him no more of that until you become a superstar type player and make all the plays you're paid to make. Until then, knock it off. I don't believe for a moment that it inspires his teammates or the crowd, hence it's only showboating and reminds me too much of TO.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2cnd and 16 and out middle linebacker covers the wrong guy and they get a first down on pass that Barnett has to cover

Members online