LB dilemma

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about you guy's but i like what i've seen from this lattimore fella. Big, physical, and can run. Outisde of Clay matthews he's probably our most athletic backer...heck he may even be more athletic. Jones is set to come back so what do we do with Lattimore?? AJ Hawk imo has been our best player on defense this year so he's not going any where. If i'm capers im getting some packages together that would move Lattimore to OLB. He's to good to have on the bench at this point and we could use his speed and athlectic ability elsewhere. He seems like he can blitz so why not give him a look at Clays spot until he returns?? you never know, Lattimore may be the next great find on defense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your post Rodell. I've been re-watching the Browns game each morning before work. I was just noticing this morning how well Lattimore played. He's got some speed and swagger, like a Desmond Bishop but more athletic. My personal opinion is that you absolutely CAN lose your job because of injury. I don't care what the reason is, the best player should be playing in professional sports. If Lattimore is lighting it up at ILB then stick with the hot hand.

My guess is that Jones and Matthews will come back around the same time so there may not be an opportunity to get him in at OLB. With the way that injuries occur for GB though, I don't think he'll lack in playing time.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your post Rodell. I've been re-watching the Browns game each morning before work. I was just noticing this morning how well Lattimore played. He's got some speed and swagger, like a Desmond Bishop but more athletic. My personal opinion is that you absolutely CAN lose your job because of injury. I don't care what the reason is, the best player should be playing in professional sports. If Lattimore is lighting it up at ILB then stick with the hot hand.

My guess is that Jones and Matthews will come back around the same time so there may not be an opportunity to get him in at OLB. With the way that injuries occur for GB though, I don't think he'll lack in playing time.

Lol it's funny you mention Bishop because that's who came to mind when i watched Lattimore against Cleveland. We need some swagger on defense, it gets people even more hype to make a play. With Perry out even when Matthews comes back you may be able to move lattimore over there.
OLB Matthews
ILB Hawk
ILB Jones
OLB Lattimore.

Don't know about you but i like the way that looks..just actually got the chills looking at that lineup. Add a healthy Perry to the mix and we could end up ranked 1st or at least on the top 5 in alot of Defensive categories by years end. Sacks could even be one.

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot figure out why Capers would put Lattimore on the bench, but he might. That dude has really been playing lights out of late, looks like he really wants a starting job. Liking this player.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot figure out why Capers would put Lattimore on the bench, but he might. That dude has really been playing lights out of late, looks like he really wants a starting job. Liking this player.

I agree..and i never thought i would say this about Jones but even he was playing some good football before he got hurt. I'm with Guapo tho, i do understand a guy losing his job due to injury, especially if the guy that replaces you is playing at a high level. I kinda feel bad for Capers because he's the one who's gotta make the decision on keeping lattimore in? or Jones regaining his starting roll. My suggestion was giving Lattimore some looks on the outside.

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree..and i never thought i would say this about Jones but even he was playing some good football before he got hurt. I'm with Guapo tho, i do understand a guy losing his job due to injury, especially if the guy that replaces you is playing at a high level. I kinda feel bad for Capers because he's the one who's gotta make the decision on keeping lattimore in? or Jones regaining his starting roll. My suggestion was giving Lattimore some looks on the outside.

At 6 2 and 230 coaches may think he isn't big enough to play outside? Hard to say, sometimes Capers can leave ya scratching your head...

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly I dont feel bad for him one bit. Capers gets to let his starter take it back slow with a hammy that has been injured twice this year IIRC. Dont rush Brad back and use these guys in combination when he finally is 100%. Fresh legs is certainly a requirement for a long playoff run and having too much talent at a position is never a thing to feel bad about.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree. One of the beauties of 2010 was that our young guys got playoff experience that helped us bring home the Lombardi trophy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard Jone practiced today (full practice) and Nick Perry didnt practice but----HAS NOT been ruled out for Sunday

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your LB's are playing great then give the credit where credit is due. The defensive line is setting the pace, they are crushing the offensive lines eating up blockers so the LB's are free to flow to the ball and make plays. This is no mistake as we have probably the best group of D-linemen in the league for stopping the run.

Thank goodness for their health and the fact that Capers realizes how valuable Ryan Pickett is at the Nose Tackle in the Run Defense. He has also been mixing in some good things in their Nickel and Dime Defenses with pressures coming from LB's up the middle and the Athletic D-Linemen.

Remember the days not too long ago when it seemed that our only pressures came from Clay Mathews or Charles Woodson. Though I love Woodson's playmaking ability the real strength of the 3-4 has to be from the front 7 players.

Here's to the future because it looks bright, however I want to issue a word of caution. As Green Bay displays their talent expect some of these cheap shot bastards like (Seattle) to go after their Ankles.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones did practice per McCarthy's injury update. Here is what he said about Lattimore, note the "one player doesn't affect the status of another" line:

(Lattimore) He's taken advantage of his opportunities. But we want all players back. One player doesn't affect the status of another. Good to have competition
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/228969621.html

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was playing well before he left, and there was a reason why he was the starter. He should be given the opportunity to start and show that he's still the best out there.

Even more importantly, we need Lattimore back on ST. Given the next two teams we're playing, we NEED NEED NEED guys out there that can stop Patterson/Sherril and Hester. Given the state of the vikes and bears, that's the only way they have a chance to beat us.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not know what they should do - possibly leave Lattimore in there as he seems to be developing, and/or rotate the crew so they stay fresh. That is the ticket.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, this is why we don't make the decisions.

Hawk having his best season. Maybe pro-bowl caliber season. Jones looking good prior to the injury. Lattimore has come in, and in my opinion, just been a beast. Maybe even challenging Jones for his starting job.

Bishop had limited snaps with the Vikings and has already torn his ACL. Feel bad for him, though.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, what happened to the people who thought TT was ruining any chance of having a good run defense by letting Bishop go? Seems like someone knew what they were doing....

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everyone on Lattimore's play. He's been a very pleasant surprise, much like Bishop's emergence in 2010. And what I also really like about Lattimore is that he's not showy. He sticks you, gets up, and goes back to the huddle. No nonsense. No look at me celebrations - a la Nick Barnett's ridiculous ninja dance (or whatever that stupid thing was called). Just a professional that has been there before and will be there next time. Love that aspect about him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, what happened to the people who thought TT was ruining any chance of having a good run defense by letting Bishop go? Seems like someone knew what they were doing....
Shhhhh. Say it too loud and Bus Cook will crash your party. You're obviously all sniffing TTs jock strap, blinded by your love for the Packers :D

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lattimore is playing very well. Jones however was playing some good football before he got injured. I guess Jones will get his spot back, but there no reason to rush his return. Moreover we might use some kind of rotation (and Lattimore might play some snaps outside).

Actually, I like our defensive depth this year. The D-line depth is great, the inside and outside linebacker depth is solid (Mulumba is actually doing a decent job as #4 OLB), cornerback depth is solid (when Heyward en Bush are back).

The only defensive issue is the safety position. Jennings is a decent player, but would not start for most teams. I like Banjo as future prospect, but he not there yet. McMillian has been awful this year.

H

HardRightEdge

Lattimore is playing some good football, to be sure. What you don't expect from an ILB is the kind of edge-rusher burst and motor he showed on that Ponder sack. Maybe he'll get some work inside and outside when Jones returns.

Members online

Latest posts