Laurent Robinson WR, Illinois State

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I see of this guy the more I like him, he has the potential to become everything you look for in an NFL WR, he needs to bulk up some and doesn't have the size of Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, but you see a lot of guys his size being successful and I think this guy has a good shot at being successful. The only knack on him is that he didn't play against elite competition, however I think he could make the transfer to the NFL and develop to become a very good player in a couple of years.

He would fit the right into Green Bay because he's an excellent routerunner, which is immensely important in all schemes but particularly in a westcoast offense like the one McCarthy is running, and he fills the need of a player who can stretch the field.

"Then he turned in a 40 time of 4.38 seconds, particularly notable for a tall (6-2) wide receiver weighing 195 pounds. Robinson did not drop a pass in his workout session and repeatedly had to field balls thrown behind him by quarterbacks, including Ohio State's Troy Smith, who were clearly surprised by the speed of the big receiver."

Adding to his performance in receiving drills and in the 40-yard dash, Robinson also turned in the combine's fifth best broad jump distance.

Laurent Robinson

Combine Measurements:
6-2
195 lbs

40 yard dash: 4.38

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If we draft him in the 5th, 6th or 7th round I would be very pleased. He could come in and be a return guy for the first couple of years adjusting to the NFL and then burst onto the scene. This is the biggest sleeper at WR in this draft together with Mike Williams, I rank him above Walker. He and Walker had some of the best combine results at WR.

Positives: Has a lean, angular frame that is built for speed, showing good chest muscle definition with a tapered waist, good shoulder width, tight abdomen, developed thighs and calves … Has excellent body flexibility and hip snap, dropping his weight and keeping his pads down to accelerate instantly coming out of his cuts … Has fine balance in his running stride, executing crisp plant-and-drive skills to get in and out of his breaks … Possesses the speed to challenge the deep secondary and the body control to make adjustments through his routes … Smart, instinctive runner and also does well in the classroom … Picks up plays quickly and is alert to coverages, doing a nice job of finding the soft spot in the zone to settle in … Regarded by the staff the team's "most trustworthy" player, as he works hard in the training and film rooms, showing good self-starting ability … Capable of getting to the ball in a crowd and there is no flinch to him, even when he knows the defense is about to drill him … Has the ability to accelerate into his routes instantly and shows good urgency in and out of his cuts … Demonstrates a crisp running style and does a nice job adjusting his body to get to the underneath throws … His speed lets him drive off the coverage and come back for the easy yards … Takes short, pitter-patter steps to accelerate off the line of scrimmage, and has the explosion to gain on the cornerback and eat the cushion in attempts to challenge deep … Can sink and slip through traffic due to his lateral agility and is very alert of the sidelines, doing a nice job of keeping his feet in bounds … Displays the body control to sink his hips to get better separation in-and-out of his cuts and does a very good job of finding the soft spot and settling in vs. zone coverage … Whether working underneath or attacking the deep zone, Robinson's hip snap and ability to ride up the defensive back lets him gain immediate separation after the catch … Shows the nimbleness to maintain balance and turn instantly to head up field after the catch … Maintains good focus when looking the ball in, and does not hesitate to get vertical to make the play … Best when contorting his body and looking the ball in over his shoulder on deep routes … Has developed good hand mechanics to extend for the ball away from the frame … Will sometimes revert to body catching, but has the timing and snatch ability to get to the ball at its high point … Needs to add some more bulk and strength, but has that second gear and burst to leave defenders grabbing at air … Has no problem competing with the opponent after contact, and has the balance and leg drive to stay up after taking the initial hit.

Negatives: Has functional playing power, but will need to upgrade in this area to prevent from being re-routed by the more physical pro defensive backs … Earlier in his career, Robinson did not utilize his explosiveness with consistency in attempts to get a clean release off the snap … Could use some more bulk to escape the jam, but has more than enough quickness to escape and get back on the stem … Demonstrates sure hands to look the ball in, but must be more conscious of securing the ball before heading up field) … Shows better consistency getting into his routes than earlier in his career (used to take some soft angle cuts) … Still learning how to vary his speed, but has shown improvement each week, as he no longer out-runs the ball and is smart enough to uncover and has the burst to go down field in a flash … More of a pester-type of blocker than one who will face up at the line of scrimmage.

Compares To: Laveranues Coles, N.Y. Jets … Like Coles, Robinson has that explosive running stride and acceleration to separate after the catch. Both are fearless catching in a crowd and show great sideline awareness, body control and loose hips to turn a short catch into a big play.

Strengths:
Good size...Timed speed is more than adequate...Runs real good routes and he just knows how to get open...Athletic and quick...A good leaper...Great ball skills and body control...Catches the ball well...A vertical threat...Was quite productive.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against elite competition and will have to make a big transition...Did not have a great senior campaign...Not very strong or physical and his toughness has been questioned...Sub par blocker...Fumbler...Won't do much after the catch.

Notes:
First name is pronounced: "loor-RAUNT"...He stepped up and had excellent games against Iowa St. in 2005 (6 rec. for 177 yds. and 2 TD) and Kansas St. in 2006 (9 rec. for 77 yds.)...A legitimate talent and one of the top small-schoolers available.

Overview: Without a doubt, Laurent is one of the best receivers not playing IA football. He has been a Walter Payton award finalist and one of the most productive receivers in IAA for the past three seasons.

Strengths: Good size. Very fluid athlete. Runs with a smooth, gliding style that deceives D-backs. Can snatch the ball in traffic. Capable of the highlight grab. Great production at this level. Tough and fearless.

Weaknesses: Needs to get stronger. Can be shoved around in the first five yards. Not a burner.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read a little bit on him and I guess the knock on him was his speed. But that was before the combine and his 4.38. Everything I read is impressive too Oregon, said he didn't drop a single pass in the workout session, despite having the ball thrown behind him.

This just may be papers talking up a player, but everything I read suggests 7th round would be too late. But probably a 2nd day pick, but definetly looks like potential. Good find.

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's one of the biggest small school prospects at WR, and yes he didn't drop a single ball in the combine. He's worth taking a look at and TT likes small school prospects, I hope he picks him!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting?

Not very strong or physical and his toughness has been questioned...

Tough and fearless.

is it me, or those 2 quotes contradicting each other?

This made me think..

"Can sink and slip through traffic due to his lateral agility and is very alert of the sidelines, doing a nice job of keeping his feet in bounds "

Draft him and see what he has as a wr, but maybe stick him on p/r to get him used to the difference in game speed?

OP
OP
O

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capable of getting to the ball in a crowd and there is no flinch to him, even when he knows the defense is about to drill him

I think the "toughness" in the first quote and scout report that is in question is his abillity to stay healthy as we obviously needs to bulk up and build some muscle in the pros.

His mental toughness isn't in question.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts