Last years playcalling

Packerfanforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offensive playcalling seemed so predictable last year. Is it just me or did you all think the same thing? Also, do you think teams will take advantage of that this year?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't predictable.

It was anything but predictable(good,bad, thats your call\opinion).

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like a lot of the playcalling last year, until we got inside the 20 that is. of course the lack of scoring could be attributed to poor execution.

all the maxprotects were surely out of neccesity, so nobody should have a problem with that.

i think everybody can agree we need to pound the ball a whole lot more this season. i really can't wait to see what jackson has in store for us...

ACDC84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year it seemed like McCarthy was trying to get Favre to 421, because we kept passing the ball when we got deep in the Redzone. I specifically remember the Buffalo game when we got first and goal at the 5 or so and we call a pass, only to see Favre force another ball when he shouldn't and have them run it back (forget if it went for a TD or not). We smoked them in total offense that game but because of a couple of turnovers we lost a game we should have one.

As bad as we were for most of the year, it kills me to think that we should have made the playoffs, and in a bad NFC who knows how far we could have gone. Three very winnable games slipped through our fingers: St. Louis (down by 3, STL 20 yard line, less than a minute, Favre fumbles), New Orleans (blew a pretty good first half lead) and Buffalo (our offense outgained them like three to one but turnovers killed us). I'm just afraid that we got worse and not better and that we won't get as close this year.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I really doubt we will get worse . . that's just un-reasonable. I'm confident we will show some improvement from last year . .

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From our 20 to their 20 we were great!
Inside the 20 we sucked eggs!
If that improves (which i think it will) we should have a GREAT year scoring.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like a lot of the playcalling last year, until we got inside the 20 that is. of course the lack of scoring could be attributed to poor execution.

all the maxprotects were surely out of neccesity, so nobody should have a problem with that.

i think everybody can agree we need to pound the ball a whole lot more this season. i really can't wait to see what jackson has in store for us...

Agree 100%. Playcalling seemed pretty darn good until the red zone...I still can't believe McCarthy called that pass down on the goal line against Buffalo that ended up in a pick...I was pissed. :tantrum:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:

Agree 100%. Playcalling seemed pretty darn good until the red zone...I still can't believe McCarthy called that pass down on the goal line against Buffalo that ended up in a pick...I was pissed. :tantrum:

Yeah. It seems dumb. Rookie HC, what can ya do

(however if thats a TD, McCarthy is a genius...funny how that works)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I often wonder if MM REALLY called the pass. After all, many of the plays have the run/pass option where the QB makes the final decision depending on what he sees on the D. We'll never know for sure but Favre has not been noted for errorless decisions. Lombardi always believed that 3 things can happen when you pass...and 2 of them are bad. Our playcalling improved as the year wore on and will also improve this year.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I often wonder if MM REALLY called the pass. After all, many of the plays have the run/pass option where the QB makes the final decision depending on what he sees on the D. We'll never know for sure but Favre has not been noted for errorless decisions. Lombardi always believed that 3 things can happen when you pass...and 2 of them are bad. Our playcalling improved as the year wore on and will also improve this year.

I guess I don't know if McCarthy called the pass either...I do know that he took responsibility for it after the game which leads me to think that he did though.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:

Well, the thing is, that play used to work. Remember back in the days when Favre used to throw 30+ TDs a year? He used to throw a lot of TDs from the 1 yard line.

Our execution in '06 from the red zone was absolutely horrible. That's one of the things I hope to see improve in '07, and which is why I was hoping for either a TE or Randy Moss. But since we got neither, let's hope the execution is better this year, and Bubba Franks is the Pro Bowl Bubba Franks of old, not the ******* he was last year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

I guess I don't know if McCarthy called the pass either...I do know that he took responsibility for it after the game which leads me to think that he did though.

This play was talked about like crazy the week after that game..

And if my memory is right, it was a play MM called cuz he was hoping to catch the D off guard..

The offense was suppose to get to get set with a certain amount of time so the D couldnt adjust..

MM was hoping to catch the D is the wrong type of coverage for it and we all know it didnt work..

Brett could have called a t/o but MM should have been able to call one as well IF he saw the play was set up the correct way.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that too. I think teams need to develop a "nasty" attitude down on the goal line and pound the ball into the end zone. After this attitude gets established, that's when the coach can pull out an occasional play action pass for the score...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi always believed that 3 things can happen when you pass...and 2 of them are bad.
Unless Rex Grossman is your QB, in which case chances are all 3 will be bad! :rotflmao:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
retiredgrampa said:

This play was talked about like crazy the week after that game..

And if my memory is right, it was a play MM called cuz he was hoping to catch the D off guard..

The offense was suppose to get to get set with a certain amount of time so the D couldnt adjust..

MM was hoping to catch the D is the wrong type of coverage for it and we all know it didnt work..

Brett could have called a t/o but MM should have been able to call one as well IF he saw the play was set up the correct way.

Yeah that was definitely questionable(damn near controversial that week) call. I dunno if he had too much faith in Favre or what...but...he got tons better after that game at playcalling, lol.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the playcalling improved all the way through the season. I think we'll see a much better HC in Mike McCarthy during his 2nd year. I hope the playcalling stays unpredictable and the team starts fast this year.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I never had a complaint with last years play calling. Tom Rossley on the other hand I had major problems with. We've seen the dreaded shovel pass on 3rd and long so many times it's indefinitely etched in my brain.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing that scared me about MM was the San Fran Game we were ahead with like 2 and a half minutes left up by 2 tds or something and MM neeled it out go for a field goal shanked and then watch San Fran march down the field get a score and try the onside kick which we did get back i believe. Not sure if my recolection is all that great on that game. One thing this team needs badly to do this year is to A win a couple they shouldnt win the ones they are supposed to. And when possible no mercy on an opponent.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to take into account a number of things about MM's play calling -
The limitations due to Max Protect sets employed to protect the OL.
The inexperience of the recieving corps ( I can remember instances last year where Favre would be giving Holliday and R. Martin their route assignments in the huddle.- "Run as fast as you can and I'll throw it to you" was one such call Farve made, think it was in Chicago. :)
Also the ZBS learning curve
And due to it being MM's first year the playbook in general was quite simple, for instance the only inkling in the PB of innovation was Driver's WR reverse (tried about 3/4 times)
The Fake Punt (tried twice)
The WR reverse Pass (tried once by Holliday)

Hopefully MM has been working on adding new plays in, someone like James Jones could utilized in many ways due to his skillset, likewise with Driver of course and perhaps even Morency.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not think the playcalling was bad last year, certain things had to be done out of necessity(max protect, etc.)

As the talent level increases, and OC and HC grow more into their roles, I think we will see that MM is going to be the best paycaller we have seen since Holmgren.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
arrowgargantuan said:

Yeah. It seems dumb. Rookie HC, what can ya do

(however if thats a TD, McCarthy is a genius...funny how that works)

Yeah, funny how when in years gone by, Chumpmura, Jackson, and Franks were catching all of those red zone touchdowns, the play calling was great. All I heard the week after was it was a dumb play call.

Reaction score
When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade. I think McCarthy adjusted his playcalling to suit what he had (something I had a bit of an issue with a couple of years ago) and I had no qualms with it.

As for the throw in the redzone at the Buffalo game, I was initially ticked off UNTIL I found out that play had been quite successful for the Pack. Last year, Brett had something like 8 TDs and 1 INT in the redzone, so it wasn't as if that play hadn't worked before.

It was a gamble, but a gamble that had paid off for us. In the redzone, Driver got single coverage, and to be honest I don't mind McCarthy trying to exploit that. Driver is a great WR, and having him in single coverage is something you should try to take advantage of.

A run wouldn't have been a bad call (well ok, it should have been the preferred call), but throwing to Driver was the next best thing. It wasn't like it was a terrible move, it had worked before and trying to exploit the other teams single coverage on Driver is something I can understand.

I'll be interested in seeing how the playcalling changes based on O-line's improved play (which should occur).

Members online

Latest posts