Last Year's Offseason Posts

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I wasn't on the forum last offseason, I was curious about some things said last offseason. I collected some posts from then. Not saying anything about hindsight or what our current posts my look in a year, these ones just jumped out at me.

A good article about free agent risks.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ents-for-a-good-reason-rq97qfd-199716801.html

I just found this post hilarious.
It amazes me, in a LMAO way, that we have a title called FREE AGENCY and we have pages and pages, 90 replies.
This is the PACKERS .... might as well have threads with UFO and GHOST SIGHTINGS and CONGRESSIONAL HIGH MORALS & VALUES threads....

A link and post about McKenzie in Oakland
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/mckenzies-still-a-year-away-from-rebuilding-raiders/
Al Davis created the greatest salary cap hell ever known to man. Forget Washington, forget Dallas...nothing touches this mess.

When you look around and see a dysfunctional organizational culture where the whole is less than the sum of the parts and the parts are egregiously overpaid, you can limp along, try to improve by increments, and spread out the pain over several years. Or you can take the medicine up front and blank slate the whole deal.

As a GM, you're given about 5 years to turn things around (less if ownership changes hands before the job is done). I think McKenzie is doing the right thing. He's had a year to assess his options and came to the conclusion that this hottest of messes requires bold action.

This post nailed it about the LT not being on the roster.
Completely agree. If Bulaga hasn't been inserted at LT over Newhouse by now theres no way he's the future there. I honestly believe they are praying for Sherrod to get healthy and be that guy but i keep hearing he's still gimpy. Maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12 and take either Erick Fisher or Lane Johnson? I wouldn't be shocked if that happened folks. It's evident that TT is wanting to put together a line to protect his 23 million dollar a year qb because they have been trying for quite some time now. It all starts at LT and as i said before that guy is not on the roster.

These posts about Jackson, not so much….
I'd give a 3rd. round pick for Jackson, no problem. We're going nowhere this year without SOME productivity out of the running game.

If the Rams want a 3rd rounder for S.Jax, TT should pull the trigger

The only problem is that the Packers won't draft the next Steven Jackson and haven't been able to draft a solid, starting running back in years. Their best running back in the past twenty years was Ahman Green and he was acquired via trade. It's always not as easy as "draft the next Steven Jackson".

Same with this one about McMillian.

It's a rare defensive back that can play well in his first year. I suspect McMillian will be the long term answer. Great hitter.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I wasn't on the forum last offseason, I was curious about some things said last offseason. I collected some posts from then. Not saying anything about hindsight or what our current posts my look in a year, these ones just jumped out at me.

A good article about free agent risks.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ents-for-a-good-reason-rq97qfd-199716801.html

I just found this post hilarious.
It amazes me, in a LMAO way, that we have a title called FREE AGENCY and we have pages and pages, 90 replies.
This is the PACKERS .... might as well have threads with UFO and GHOST SIGHTINGS and CONGRESSIONAL HIGH MORALS & VALUES threads....

A link and post about McKenzie in Oakland
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/mckenzies-still-a-year-away-from-rebuilding-raiders/
Al Davis created the greatest salary cap hell ever known to man. Forget Washington, forget Dallas...nothing touches this mess.

When you look around and see a dysfunctional organizational culture where the whole is less than the sum of the parts and the parts are egregiously overpaid, you can limp along, try to improve by increments, and spread out the pain over several years. Or you can take the medicine up front and blank slate the whole deal.

As a GM, you're given about 5 years to turn things around (less if ownership changes hands before the job is done). I think McKenzie is doing the right thing. He's had a year to assess his options and came to the conclusion that this hottest of messes requires bold action.

This post nailed it about the LT not being on the roster.
Completely agree. If Bulaga hasn't been inserted at LT over Newhouse by now theres no way he's the future there. I honestly believe they are praying for Sherrod to get healthy and be that guy but i keep hearing he's still gimpy. Maybe TT finds a way to get into the top 12 and take either Erick Fisher or Lane Johnson? I wouldn't be shocked if that happened folks. It's evident that TT is wanting to put together a line to protect his 23 million dollar a year qb because they have been trying for quite some time now. It all starts at LT and as i said before that guy is not on the roster.

These posts about Jackson, not so much….
I'd give a 3rd. round pick for Jackson, no problem. We're going nowhere this year without SOME productivity out of the running game.

If the Rams want a 3rd rounder for S.Jax, TT should pull the trigger

The only problem is that the Packers won't draft the next Steven Jackson and haven't been able to draft a solid, starting running back in years. Their best running back in the past twenty years was Ahman Green and he was acquired via trade. It's always not as easy as "draft the next Steven Jackson".

Same with this one about McMillian.

It's a rare defensive back that can play well in his first year. I suspect McMillian will be the long term answer. Great hitter.

I'll freely admit I wanted SJax badly... soooo happy that didnt happen.

LMAO at McMillian.

Thank You for this!