Language

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Please refrain from swearing in all the forums except Smack. we do have younger people on this site. Surely we can all control ourselves and use more acceptable language..

And yes, the *** but still getting the meaning across is considered innappropriate language too. Just use a different word, ok?

Thanks, it makes our jobs easier!

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes what job easier? The rules don't prohibit profanity outright in the non-Smack forums.

You make this sound like an official proclamation, but is this just a request from a user?

Thanks for clarifying.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol

Just don't use profanity.

The rules posted are only there for show. You know the drill. PF.com can change or alter any rule at anytime. This case, they feel less profanity being used is best for the board.

Just don't use profanity.

They have a active staff which needs one more (thats for you trom) and they'd be set.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into a big argument over this, but anyone can get their point across without using profanity, type caps if you want to emphasize something, anyone reading will understand.

Let's be a little adult about this using profanity doesn't make you bigger or badder or make you sound older.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Makes what job easier? The rules don't prohibit profanity outright in the non-Smack forums.

You make this sound like an official proclamation, but is this just a request from a user?

Thanks for clarifying.

trippster is a Mod.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just cuss cause it is exactly what I want to say at the time. I don't think I do it excessively, just when a cuss applies. I don't do it to sound big, bad, cool, and I think 23 is a good age to be.

All that said, I respect the ears and eyes of the pure of heart, and also the will of tripp, who is (for those who don't already know) a pf.com mod. So I will try to refrain from swears and asterisked words. :thumbsup:

P.S. This restraint does not apply to Game Day Chat, however. Sorry, I can't stop myself once I've started drinking....

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would *** be considered as inappropriate language? I've seen it used in other places, and it seemed fine in place of a swear word. Don't you think that's a little overboard?How about they use #$&@%?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would *** be considered as inappropriate language? I've seen it used in other places, and it seemed fine in place of a swear word. Don't you think that's a little overboard?How about they use #$&@%?

I agree

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
get a life tipster and dont send me private messages
Brennan.......I'm NOT picking on you. I understand what Tripp is saying, and quite frankly, i agree 100% with him. I don't know how old you are, but the rules of this site say that profanity is not allowed. I have seen WAY too much of it allowed, and am glad they are finally roping it back in. It's not necessary to cuss to make a point.
Had i been a moderator, i would have jumped on it a long time ago.
There is the "smack" area, where if you feel like cussing a blue streak, go for it. But the other areas are off limits as far as swearing goes. We DO have young people visiting here, and we SHOULD set a good example for them.
This site is provided to us by Ryan, and is NO WAY a "right". He owns it, and graciously allows us to come here to talk.
As the old saying goes, if you don't like the rules here, you are free to leave anytime you like.
Trippster is a moderator, appointed by Ryan. He is one of the "enforcers" on here, and deserves the respect the position carrys.
If Tripp PM'd you about something inappropriate that you did, respect the fact he didn't call you out in public. Wouldn't that be more embarassing?
I hope you understand I'm NOT trying to fight with you. I think you are a decent person and poster. The rules here apply to everyone. (Even me! :wink: )

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

The key component is 'other places'.

This is Ryan's place and is run how he wants.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2.)Language
Keep offensive language to a minimum. We would like this forum to be appropriate for users and fans of all ages. If you have any doubts about whether a particular statement might be considered offensive by other users, please do not post it. You do not need to use profanity to get your point across to other users

I don't see anything about asterisks in the rule. I understand about the profanity. I would think, possibly, it(***) might be considered offensive to some people, but it's no worse than you see in the comics.(read Beetle Bailey sometime)

BTW, not trying to be a pain. Just bringing up a point.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to use less profanity. I try to do it less, and we don't let our 13-year-old son curse at home, even though I guess it's the cool thing to do at his age.

I really don't see it as something hard to do to not swear on someone else's board. At someone else's house, you abide by their rules or leave. It's called courtesy.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to use less profanity. I try to do it less, and we don't let our 13-year-old son curse at home, even though I guess it's the cool thing to do at his age.

I really don't see it as something hard to do to not swear on someone else's board. At someone else's house, you abide by their rules or leave. It's called courtesy.

I'm not contesting the part about swearing, I totally agree with it in fact. My point is about the use of symbols. Why are they considered offensive? I have seen them used in magazines as well as the funny papers. Are those also considered offensive?
I'm NOT trying to stir up a hornets nest here, just trying to clarify what's offensive in some peoples minds. You have never seen me swear or even anything close to it on these forums.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

I'm not contesting the part about swearing, I totally agree with it in fact. My point is about the use of symbols. Why are they considered offensive? I have seen them used in magazines as well as the funny papers. Are those also considered offensive?
I'm NOT trying to stir up a hornets nest here, just trying to clarify what's offensive in some peoples minds. You have never seen me swear or even anything close to it on these forums.
I understand what you mean..........I'm not a mod here, so one of them will have to answer your question. Which is a good one.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever watched Jimmy Kimmel and his ****ing show where he has a segment about excessive ****s and how it's funny if you insert unnecessary ****s in random segments of ***** video clips?

With my weak attempt at humor aside, I completely agree with the profanity, and I understand the ***s as well. You mean the same thing when you insert some symbols so the intent is still there.

It's not too difficult to refrain from typing an f or s-bomb when describing a catch or missed tackle, if anything it's easier because you type fewer letters!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever watched Jimmy Kimmel and his ****ing show where he has a segment about excessive ****s and how it's funny if you insert unnecessary ****s in random segments of ***** video clips?

With my weak attempt at humor aside, I completely agree with the profanity, and I understand the ***s as well. You mean the same thing when you insert some symbols so the intent is still there.

It's not too difficult to refrain from typing an f or s-bomb when describing a catch or missed tackle, if anything it's easier because you type fewer letters!
I agree Musccy.........problem is, with some people, if you take out all the cuss words, all you are left with is:
"what the is i can't is there any huh!?!?!? :wink: :lol:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:

I agree Musccy.........problem is, with some people, if you take out all the cuss words, all you are left with is:
"what the is i can't is there any huh!?!?!? :wink: :lol:

and just who the are you referring to?

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit to somewhat abusing the system as well, but yeah... using profanity in arguments just makes the user look uneducated and therefore not credible.

Latest posts