Lance Briggs a Green Bay Packer?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Lance Briggs is a UFA now. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Several of us said earlier that we're just one piece away from being SB champions. I said before it was our OL, but our OL was starting to solidify later on in the year, only to drop the ball against the Giants. Still, we finished the year ranked #4. We were indeed an elite O, and with the emergence of Ryan Grant, I won't be surprised if we are #3 (or better) with no personnel changes in our O next year. The longer an OL stays together, usually the better it gets.

Now, Lance Briggs on the other hand. Imagine him a Green Bay Packer. Nick Barnett in the middle. AJ Hawk on one side. Lance Briggs on the other. Hands down the best LB set in the NFL. We have the money to do it. Will he want to come here and embarrass his former team? I'd think so.

I also think that may be the piece missing from winning the SB next year. Our D was #6, but I could honestly see us at #2 or #1 with Briggs in there. I already predicted Bigby to make the Pro Bowl next year. We have the DL. We have the best CB duo in the NFL. Why is our D only #6? Is it because we don't have Lance Briggs?

Ponder this D for a moment:
DL - Kampman, Pickett, Williams, Jenkins/KGB
LB - Hawk, Barnett, Briggs
DB - Harris, Collins, Bigby, Woodson

Did your heart skip a beat? Mine did.

You seriously want to run against the Green Bay Packers? Are you stupid? Just throw the ball out of bounds on 3rd and 11 before your QB gets killed then punt the ball already.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Packers + Briggs & great receiving RB = SUPERBOWL!!

I'm thinking we'll decide who gets to be the 3rd RB will be based on their receiving skills.

It's currently Morency vs Herron vs Wynn with Grant as #1 and Jackson as #2.

But yes, that may be the other piece missing - a receiving RB. We all know Brett loves to throw to RBs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry to interupt, but would briggs play strong side? i actually don't know much about him, aside from the fact that folks say he is a beast. does he have the speed and range to cover the TE and chase down RBs in the flats? what is his style of play?

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
sorry to interupt, but would briggs play strong side? i actually don't know much about him, aside from the fact that folks say he is a beast. does he have the speed and range to cover the TE and chase down RBs in the flats? what is his style of play?

He's a WLB. He's fast and strong and fierce and one of the reasons Urlacher is so good. Hopefully a Bear fan could answer your questions better, but I only watch da Bears twice a year, so you know just as much as I do.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Briggs was the WLB for the Bears

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good call Bryan.

I don't know why I even bother hoping for FA's and well-known draft picks, cause TT will never bring in the guy any of us hope for.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if TT and MM are as serious as they would have us all believe they are about the spirit of competition on the practice field, there is no way they could justify not trying to sign a guy like Briggs simply because he would displace some other player on the team.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree here. Brady played well actually the last half of this season.

I would love to see it happen to be honest with you. hes a playmaker and would instantly give us the best linebacking corp in football.

However... with the decent play from Brady Popp this year... im not sure the FO will make this a priority... especially at the price he will be asking.

But heres hoping.

Poppinga, Hodge, Bishop would be a sick *** group to have as second linebackers. Talk about depth ... damn.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT will pull the trigger if the opportunity presents himself. He got us Woodson, which a lot of folks thought was dumb.

Now Briggs, if we have one thing holding us back, it would be another playmaker on D. We had the #6 D. Briggs would open up huge things. For one, he's a demon against the run to his side. For another, I heard he's pretty good at covering TEs. For another, watch the Packers blitz more often, because they CAN. Imagine Barnett and Hawk blitzing more often and not worrying about the opposing QB exploiting it. We'd terrorize opposing Os.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I'd be happy to add

Karlos Dansby Arizona
Demorrio Williams Atlanta

These two are going to fetch less money potentially and have equal to greater talent.. Dansby is a flat out warrior with much less of an attitude.

Briggs would be cool, but he wants to break the bank, cause you know, making 7 Million last season he couldn't support his family, but yet wreck a 250,000 sports car in the middle of the night and flee the scene.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Poppinga, Hodge, Bishop would be a sick *** group to have as second linebackers. Talk about depth ... damn.

The problem I see with our core right now is too many MLB, and not enough dudes to play Sam or Wil.. I like the way Bishop plays.. maybe move old Nick outside now, because he got paid already so numbers might not mean as much.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take him if you want to pay him. He's a a good LB but not worth the contract he's going to fetch. Remember that Rosenhaus is his agent and the fact that teams are gameplanning Urlacher, and his position in the tampa 2 should lead him to great production, yet he's never eclipsed Urlacher in tackles in a season, nor been great in coverage.
Recall also that both Warrick Holdman and Roosevelt Colvin were both seen as star LBs when playing next to Urlacher and went on into free agency, commanding large contracts and both have been largely mediocre, although Colvin does get a few sacks here and there.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that can be an encouraging thought is that TT DID go for Charles Woodson, so he isn't completely cheap. The problem is that when we did that we were really hurting at our CB position with the exception of Harris.

Hopefully TT will think some of our positions are hurting and do something about it this offseason, because I would really like to have some other big name guy to be excited about.

(Yes I know we are 13-3 with what he have)

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take him if you want to pay him. He's a a good LB but not worth the contract he's going to fetch. Remember that Rosenhaus is his agent and the fact that teams are gameplanning Urlacher, and his position in the tampa 2 should lead him to great production, yet he's never eclipsed Urlacher in tackles in a season, nor been great in coverage.
Recall also that both Warrick Holdman and Roosevelt Colvin were both seen as star LBs when playing next to Urlacher and went on into free agency, commanding large contracts and both have been largely mediocre, although Colvin does get a few sacks here and there.

Rosenhaus is his agent?

Well, I take back everything I said.

(goes back to the drawing board)

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is there's a lot of linebackers coming in free agency.

Thompson is a linebacker and I see him pulling the trigger, especially since the Bears are a division rival.

Of course, our speculation means **** as opposed to what Thompson decides to actually do.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson will want to take Dan Connor and im ok with that!

I am sure if he is the BPA at our pick TT will do it, but out of 4 mocks that I have looked at 3 have Connor going between 12 and 16. There is also Keith Rivers, OR DE/LB Quentin Groves and Derrick Harvey.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs to Green Bay is an intriguing thought. If it happened, they could move Hawk to the strong side, as he has become good at covering TE's. Our strong side LB seems to have as many playmaking opportunities as the weak side guy anyway, so I don't think anyone would be missing out on the fun.

Bummer that Rosenhaus is Briggs' agent, though.

Members online

Latest posts