Lambeau Field who owns it?

PhotoHawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello Packer fans!
Can someone tell me or point me in the right direction as to who owns Lambeau Field? I thought I heard that the "fans" own it at one point, but my last search says that the City of Green Bay owns it (which would make it Government property). So, technically what's the answer. Thanks for your help!

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the renovation of Lambeau Field The City of Green Bay owned Lambeau Field completely. In 1956, The City of Green Bay built Lambeau Field (than known as New City Stadium until 1965) for $950,000. From 1956 to early 2000's, the Green Bay City Council had authority for adminstration of Lambeau Field.

This all change in the early 2000's. When it was decided that 1/2% Brown County Sales Tax was to be used to pay for major part of finanacing of Lambeau Field.- $195M of the $295M wasneed to pay for the renovation. Money came from Brown County sales Tax for maintainence of Lambeau Field during the Packer's lease of Lambeau Field. There is 31 years left on Packer lease of Lambeau Field. Lambeau Field renovation cost will be completely paid for in August of this year (2011) However,the 1/2% Brown County sales tax will remain until 2015 to make sure there is enough money for maintainence of Lambeau during 31 year left on Packer lease of Lambeau Field.
Lambeau Field now is administered by the Brown County Stadium Commisson. Brown County Citizens are appointed by City Green Bay and Brown County to be members of this Commission.

Ownership of Lambeau Field in now something like 80% City of Green Bay -20% Brown County

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I work for the city of Green Bay during the summer and I have never heard that we owned even a tiny bit of Lambeau (shows how closely I pay attention). However, I do know that I pay an extra .5 in sales tax as a resident of Brown County and I just figured that Brown County owned Lambeau. It is news to me that they really only own 20%!

I need to brush up on my history. This is the stuff they need to teach in schools.

Members online

Latest posts