Lambeau Field Turf: What the heck is the issue

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be a little off topic for this forum, but what the hell is will the Packers playing service. It seems that every game I watch, both the Pack and their opponent are slipping all over the field like their on rollar blades.

Some of you might remember Desmond Bishop slipping while trying to cover Kellon Winslow during his 2-point conversion dropped pass. Bishop got up and looked so like he was going to rip a junk of the turf out of the ground and throw it in the stands.

Can anyone explain to me what is going on here?? Also, maybe its an advantage for the NYG game.

Reaction score
Any field that is sitting in freezing cold temperatures for a few weeks can cause the dirt under the ground to be harder and therefor slippery. The playing surface, like Randy said, will be pretty good. The field will cause faster play all around.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Any field that is sitting in freezing cold temperatures for a few weeks can cause the dirt under the ground to be harder and therefor slippery. The playing surface, like Randy said, will be pretty good. The field will cause faster play all around.
Well since it's heated, it should not be frozen. Not on top, not underneath. I would say the problem is the wrong cleats on the shoes.

Reaction score
Well since it's heated, it should not be frozen. Not on top, not underneath. I would say the problem is the wrong cleats on the shoes.
Sorry, poor choice of words. Not "Frozen" but cold enough to where normal cleats can't always spike into the grass cleanly.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Sorry, poor choice of words. Not "Frozen" but cold enough to where normal cleats can't always spike into the grass cleanly.
Systems is suppose to maintain a field temp of 50 degrees in cold down to something like 10 below or something like that.(don't have time to look it up right now.) If cleats can't get into it, they have the wrong cleats on.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I was close.

The system was designed to keep the field at 55°F on a day when the ambient temperature is 0°F with a 15-mile-per-hour wind. The entire system is monitored with temperature sensors in the field and concrete track. They are tied to a central control system where the stadium maintenance team can make adjustments as necessary.

http://www.fields-inc.com/index.php/projects/lambeau-field

OP
OP
bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah but why is every player having trouble finding traction??? I mean we had players slipping all over the place in the Saints game in Week 1.

OP
OP
bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least "every" player has the same issue. They all play on the same grass so they all have the same grade of turf - an even playing field, so to speak.
Oh yeah I totally agree with you. I think both teams have problems with the turf. I just can't understand why they are slipping. Like I said, I understand everyone looses footing occationally....but it seems like that even with cleats, people are just all over the place. Almost like the cleats aren't digging into the turf or something. I'm hoping that our WR are more use to it and can adjust better than Cruz and Hicks

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen that too. It seems to be in one end of the field. grass looks really good but I notice no divits like the surface is really hard. maybe with the way they put all that fiber in to hold the roots it made the surface very firm and cleats don't get penetration. I did and "Ask Vick" question on that but got no response.

Should be to our advantage though since our players will know which areas are prone to slippage. Or so my theory goes and Columbus proved my last one wrong.

OP
OP
bubblercheez37

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have seen that too. It seems to be in one end of the field. grass looks really good but I notice no divits like the surface is really hard. maybe with the way they put all that fiber in to hold the roots it made the surface very firm and cleats don't get penetration. I did and "Ask Vick" question on that but got no response.

Should be to our advantage though since our players will know which areas are prone to slippage. Or so my theory goes and Columbus proved my last one wrong.

Yeah I think we will have a slight advantage there as well. It worries me more with our defense backs than anything. Especially since were prone to give up the big play. On the other hand...you know who plays his best at home? Jordy Nelson...I think he knows that field like the back of his hand

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Systems is suppose to maintain a field temp of 50 degrees in cold down to something like 10 below or something like that.(don't have time to look it up right now.) If cleats can't get into it, they have the wrong cleats on.
Teams are not supposed to have their roof collapse from snow.;)

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I envy those of you who live there. From September till January. It was in the 80's last week. cooling trend this week it's in the low 70's.

10 day forecast shows there is going to be a heatwave in Green Bay. 28 degrees on Jan 21st. After I bought all that stuff for 10 degrees. I'll save it all, I have a feeling I will be using it in future years.

My wife called me and said our underwear for the Game came in the mail today.
Tickets...Check
Rooms....Check
Car.........Check
Airline.....Check
boots......Check
Convertible gloves/mittens...Check
base layer....Check
***** hat with G logo.....check
Balaclava...check
Heavy Packer Coat...Check
Packer Forum Flag.... Waiting on Robdog

Did I miss anything?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I envy those of you who live there. From September till January. It was in the 80's last week. cooling trend this week it's in the low 70's.

10 day forecast shows there is going to be a heatwave in Green Bay. 28 degrees on Jan 21st. After I bought all that stuff for 10 degrees. I'll save it all, I have a feeling I will be using it in future years.

My wife called me and said our underwear for the Game came in the mail today.
Tickets...Check
Rooms....Check
Car.........Check
Airline.....Check
boots......Check
Convertible gloves/mittens...Check
base layer....Check
***** hat with G logo.....check
Balaclava...check
Heavy Packer Coat...Check
Packer Forum Flag.... Waiting on Robdog

Did I miss anything?
It's funny that not only you envy us but that you are getting away from where it's sunny and warm to the colder winter climate.
Usually it's the other way around.

Is your wife coming with you?
Better add that item to the checklist if she is.
Would be a big bummer if your on the bus on the way to the game:
Oh my god!! I forgot the wife! LOL

Members online