Lambeau Field sales tax to end by end of 2015

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
And wait for the news to soon follow of the county imposing a 1/2 % sales tax to fund something that sells at the ballot box such as children or crime or schools or highways.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My understanding was that the actual debt has been retired for some time...the tax however has not gone away .... and it won't. It is like the price of gasoline ... it should be $2.75 per gallon based on the price oil, oil stockpiles and the price of distillates. However, because we pay the price now... the price will never again drop below $3.00 per gallon.

The current Wisconsin sales tax was supposed to sunset, like 5 or 10 years after it was first imposed too.

Sorry Brown County, you're stuck for the rest of your natural lives.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding was that the actual debt has been retired for some time...the tax however has not gone away .... and it won't. It is like the price of gasoline ... it should be $2.75 per gallon based on the price oil, oil stockpiles and the price of distillates. However, because we pay the price now... the price will never again drop below $3.00 per gallon.

The current Wisconsin sales tax was supposed to sunset, like 5 or 10 years after it was first imposed too.

Which was the main reason a majority of the county outside of the city overwhelmingly voted against it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which was the main reason a majority of the county outside of the city overwhelmingly voted against it.
Which was mind-boggling. Assuming roughly $12,000 in retail purchases per year, I figured paying $60 a year to keep the Packers viable (which accounts for a huge portion of Green Bay and Brown County's economy) was money well-spent. Even if I was a displaced Bears fan, I would have voted in favor. In fact, I'm aware of at least one and probably two who did.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

Weeds

I cannot find any information about the Wisconsin State Sales tax passed in 1962 that mentioned that Wisconsin Sales Tax would be "sunset" tax in 5 to 10 years.

40 other States have State Sales tax. 27 States have higher sales Tax than Wisconsin 5% sales Tax.

67 Counties out of 72 Counties in State of Wisconsin have 0.05% County Sales Tax..

By Wisconsin State law concerning sales taxes in the State of Wisconsin, the Brown County Stadium( Lambeau Field) 0.05 per cent sales Tax is special sales tax( for Stadiums)
There are two responsibility provisions in the 0.05 percent Brown County Stadium (Lambeau Field) Sales Tax Law.

Weeds is right . Bonds for Lambeau Field were paid off in August of 2011.

The reason that 0.05 per cent Brown County Stadium sales tax Sales Tax continued after August 2011 is the following:

There is added responsibility for the Brown County Stadium 0.05 per cent sales tax. The Brown County voters in fall of 2000 approved a plan to establishing a Fund that will pay for maintenance of the Stadium through the Green Bay Packers lease in 2031.When this sales tax produces $92M to cover maintenance responsibilities the Brown County 0.05 percent sales tax, which will happen at end of 2015 or perhaps as early as early as end of September 2015 thus this tax will end .

Thus Brown County Taxpayers will pay the 5% Wisconsin sales tax and not have additional Brown County Stadium 0.05 per cent sale tax added on to their purchases after end of 2015.

After end of 2015, there will be no more Brown County (Stadium) 0.05 percent Sales tax .

I am ending this post right now, it is already too long.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And wait for the news to soon follow of the county imposing a 1/2 % sales tax to fund something that sells at the ballot box such as children or crime or schools or highways.

Seriously this State needs some serious investment in highway maintenance. Of Course it would help if we weren't building a bunch of highways in the middle of no where.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously this State needs some serious investment in highway maintenance. Of Course it would help if we weren't building a bunch of highways in the middle of no where.
I'd be quite content with the highway budgets if no new miles of roadway were created for say 5 years. Fix what exists before adding more.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That is correct, there was no sunset on the original 1961 sales tax. It however was not a general use tax. That tax was assessed on only certain items. The general sales tax -- on everything but grocery items didnt come into play until... around the early 70's and it was 4%. It was the early 80's increase to 5% that was supposed to sunset...or return to 4%...and didn't. It was quietly extended but never increased at least. Finally it was made permanent in the same piece of legislation that phased out Wisconsin's usary law, allowing unlimited interest rates.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa, 5% sales tax in Wisconsin? SIGN ME UP! Here in California we have 7.5%, it WAS 8.25% for a little while. I think in Los Angeles they pay something like 8.5 or 9% sales tax.

Honestly, there should be no sales tax what-so-ever but the politicians have made that impossible and the citizens have laid back and took it for so long now it is just a fact of life.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
It would be nice if it disappeared after 2015 though I wouldn't hold my breath. Kind of like toll ways they bring in money so why stop taxing everyone. I think most of us agree politicians suck.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that it's safe to say that those who were certain that the tax would live in perpetuity were wrong. Of course, that's not to say that they won't find a new reason to enact a new tax, but this one was allowed to sunset and excess collections were even repaid. Whether you were for the tax or not, at least one can say that this seems to have been handled as promised. Too bad they don't all happen this way...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...000-added-lambeau-sales-tax-payback/91218670/
GREEN BAY – An additional $534,185 in excess stadium sales tax money will go to Brown County and its governments.

The state Department of Revenue collected the money as a result of late payments, penalties and interest on the 0.5 percent sales tax that was used to pay for the $295 million renovation of Lambeau Field in 2003. The tax ended one year ago and the Department of Revenue earlier returned $17.4 million in excess tax collections.

Municipalities can use the money for property tax relief, governmental debt relief, or broadly defined economic development. Brown County is required by law to spend its $4.3 million share on the Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena complex.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not going to get political, but they always get the money. Whether it's gas prices going up, food prices going up, cost of building materials going up, or they all go down, and taxes up, fees go up, interest rates to build go up etc.

But, that half of percent for Brown county was some of the best tax money ever collected for the people of Green Bay. They've reaped the rewards many, many times over.

Members online

Latest posts