LaGarrette Blount, RB-Oregon

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a 245-pound beast of a man. He literally has everything you need in a running back, including a stiff right hand. Just watch these highlights and how many tackles he breaks, then accelerates and runs away from everyone. Plus the man scored 16 TD's in one year, that's rediculous. Ya he has some character issues, but he played in the Senior Bowl and looked pretty damn good, might be too good to pass on. And we can probably get him in the 3rd-4th rounds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82cWHFN_YKE]YouTube - LeGarrette Blount's 2008 TD Highlights[/ame]

Inside: Tall back with H-back build. Oregon has an east-west running game, so most of his carries occur outside the tackles. Has the power to be an excellent inside runner. Lowers his shoulders to bowl over defenders, but must run with more lean near the line of scrimmage to be a
short-yardage threat. Agile enough to pick through trash and accelerate out the other side.

Outside: Very tough to bring down in the second or third level. Runs through and over smaller defenders in space. Lacks breakaway speed, but makes big gains with his long, fluid strides. A bit miscast in Oregon's horizontal running game. If an early hole doesn't appear on stretch plays, he is slow in his cutbacks and won't elude penetrating defenders.

Breaking tackles: Too strong to be arm tackled. Excellent balance, leaping defenders trying to cut tackle him and keeps on going. Uses a strong stiff-arm against linebackers and safeties. Can stop and push aside oncoming tacklers, then start up again. Runs very upright, and will not avoid taking big hits.

Blocking: A work in progress as a pass protector. Tentative when assisting linemen on a double-team block. Must be more consistent dropping his hips and using his long arms to keep defenders at bay, instead of throwing his shoulder. Doesn't keep his head on a swivel to prevent backside or late blitz pressure. Gives effort and can dominate corners downfield, however, with his size and length.

Receiving: Only two catches in 2009 (for two yards), so receiving opportunities are few. Goes out on swing passes, but runs few other routes. Could be a big factor on the edge with his ability to avoid and run over defenders on the outside.

Intangibles: Substantial character concerns that will cause many teams to remove him from their board entirely. To his credit, earned back his spot on the active roster by fulfilling the requirements as set forth by Oregon head coach Chip Kelly and Athletic Director Mike Belloti. Nicknamed "Biggie", needs to keep his weight under control to be an effective NFL back. NFL Comparison: Michael Bush, Raiders

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its possible to take him in the 5th or 6th. He could be used in 3rd down and short situations. I mean ....is it me........or does Ryan Grant seem to go down easy???? I mean......after contact.......

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know....Lawerence Phillips had a huge upside with character problems...I'm just sayin.​
That was one of the first things I thought about. Sometimes these guys just have not had mentors to help them out. Cris Carter helped Randy Moss out and he.......well...nevermind.......I always thought Cris Carter was kind of a *******. This is my veiw and not the view of the NFL.

Latest posts